2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skipping skaters who are likely too dangerous for certain other skaters, is not restricted to Koreans. Why do you think Kerry, last at his GP, got China, and also Orzel, again no big international medals IIRC... really just a coincidence, or could that have anything to do with the fact that China needs Yan to place as high as possible, and skaters like Litvintsev and Yamamoto could be too dangerous for him? As much as I enjoy seeing variety, GP is supposed to be a series that only allows the best of the best to participate. I agree with the poster who said that 10 is too much of a choice.

To be fair, Kerry was also higher on the replacement list than Sota, and Conrad was only one spot below with ~1 difference in their 2018-19 SB, which is what the subs list is based on. Litvintsev was injured, and WD from a couple CS events. He had announced that Rostelecom would be his first start of the season, though I believe he's on the list for the Volvo Cup this weekend.

So the men's choices have been fairly reasonable. I do also think that Yelim may have been offered a spot at CoC, since they gave spots to two Korean skaters, and Young is a much bigger threat than Yelim, but couldn't take it for whatever reason. She's certainly been skipped for other spots. I wish NHK had given her one.

frida80

Record Breaker
I have always said I don’t like the GP system. Yelim being continuously skipped over is one of many reasons why I will always be disgusted with it. NHK normally picks the better skaters since their more interested in a good competition. I’m shocked they didn’t pick Yelim.

Seeing this makes me so grateful for the passionate Chinese fans that lobbied China to pick Young for CoC. Without their help, she may have been skipped over entirely.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan already has a highly competitive field with Kihira, Kosornaia, Zagitova and Lim. If Yelim had been added, she would have had zero chance of a medal and probably not even a 4th place.

At SA, she was 5th and not happy about it.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Japan already has a highly competitive field with Kihira, Kosornaia, Zagitova and Lim. If Yelim had been added, she would have had zero chance of a medal and probably not even a 4th place.

At SA, she was 5th and not happy about it.

Yelim was 7th at SC.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I don’t agree with the system either but I guess it’s a motivator to make sure you’re top 12 at World so they can’t skip you.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Get 'em at 4CCs, Yelim. Work hard, make that team, build your experience, and show them all what you can do.

Nirti

Medalist
Yelim is currently #18 in the World Standings list and should be around #28 in the Personal Bests list (am I the only one who has problems by opening some ISU tables, as PB lists or CS standings tables? It struggles sometimes more than 10 minutes before the pages open :unsure:)

If Yelim qualifies for 4CC, she'll be assured to have 2 GP next year.

deneb

On the Ice
(am I the only one who has problems by opening some ISU tables, as PB lists or CS standings tables? It struggles sometimes more than 10 minutes before the pages open :unsure:)
No, restyling the tables they included in those pages a couple of scripts from kaspersky-labs.com that cannot be loaded so the browser is not able to render the page until a timeout occurs.
I resolved the issue adding a filter in uBlock Origin.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Yelim was senior-eligible last season, and did senior events on top of the JGP. So yes, she could have, if she had beaten Eunsoo for the spot.

Ok, that's right, she was born in the first half of 2003.

Btw, Litvintsev is competing at Volvo Open, which means he's back in action.

Nirti

Medalist
So, probably for the last time...

The possible alternates for Komatsubara/Koleto at NHK :

01 (28) 170.47 Betina POPOVA / Sergei MOZGOV (RUS) – GP CAN
02 (31) 168.02 Adelina GALIAVIEVA / Louis THAURON (FRA) – GP RUS
03 (32) 167.94 Anastasia SHPILEVAIA / Grigori SMIRNOV (RUS) – GP RUS
04 (34) 165.31 Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN (GER)
05 (36) 162.94 Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI (ITA) - GP RUS
06 (37) 162.50 Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND (GBR)
07 (38) 161.40 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS (HUN) (still active?)
08 (40) 158.11 Katharina MÜLLER / Tim DIECK (GER)
09 (42) 156.16 Aleksandra NAZAROVA / Maksim NIKITIN (UKR)
10 (43) 154.42 Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV (UKR)
11 (44) 154.27 Jennifer URBAN / Benjamin STEFFAN (GER)
------------------------

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They must have withdrawn today :(

NHK could invite Rikako and Oliver who won Western Sectionals, but I doubt it will happen.

I doubt it also. As best I can tell, Japan has an inner criteria for teams that receive GP host berths. My best guess is that the teams need to earn a particular score in a smaller international event. Shortly prior to K&K's first invite, they matched the previous #2 team's SB score. (I don't remember the event, but K&K were still with Barbara. I think it was a Challenger). Fukase & Tateno were competing that season also and did not earn a comparable score or receive an invite that season. Likewise, we have seen a number of Japanese teams sent to CS and Senior Bs that did not get comparable scores & did not receive invites. It is possible, I suppose, that the score could be earned internally. I don't know what the criteria is, but it clearly exists and is pretty clearly higher than that of some GP host countries.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, probably for the last time...

The possible alternates for Komatsubara/Koleto at NHK :

01 (28) 170.47 Betina POPOVA / Sergei MOZGOV (RUS) – GP CAN
02 (31) 168.02 Adelina GALIAVIEVA / Louis THAURON (FRA) – GP RUS
03 (32) 167.94 Anastasia SHPILEVAIA / Grigori SMIRNOV (RUS) – GP RUS
04 (34) 165.31 Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN (GER)
05 (36) 162.94 Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI (ITA) - GP RUS
06 (37) 162.50 Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND (GBR)
07 (38) 161.40 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS (HUN) (still active?)
08 (40) 158.11 Katharina MÜLLER / Tim DIECK (GER)
09 (42) 156.16 Aleksandra NAZAROVA / Maksim NIKITIN (UKR)
10 (43) 154.42 Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV (UKR)
11 (44) 154.27 Jennifer URBAN / Benjamin STEFFAN (GER)
------------------------

Fingers crossed for Galyavieva/Thauron!