2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced

Nirti

Medalist
Don't forget Mitsuki Sumoto who has just turned senior and has a JGP silver. But Hiroaki had a nice result at the universiade, so he might be considered too. The other two don't stand a chance IMO. And there's always the possibility that Daisuke does well enough in an international competition to get selected.

Sumoto still has one season to skate at the junior-level (born 2001), so he'll probably do JGP? He has good chances to qualify for JGP final again.
For Takahashi, I thought he didn't want to do international events? But of course he would be the best choice for the audience :)

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I can't wait for the Grand Prix to start. All of the events look good, but I would love to be able to attend NHK where almost all of my current favorites are assigned!

LynsJ

On the Ice
Really considering attending the gp in France. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale? I’d love to see James/cipres and papadakis/cizeron in their home country [emoji7]

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Sumoto still has one season to skate at the junior-level (born 2001), so he'll probably do JGP? He has good chances to qualify for JGP final again.
For Takahashi, I thought he didn't want to do international events? But of course he would be the best choice for the audience :)

From what I've heard, Takahashi has reconsidered that statement. And Mitsuki is going senior for sure, he wrote so himself on his twitter account.

Nirti

Medalist
Usually the skaters skipping their last junior season do it after having great junior achievements, that's why it surprises me from Sumoto after his disappointing season. But considering the fact Japan has only 6 JGP spots for men, he may not having been selected in order to give the chance to younger skaters... That could explain he's already turning senior!

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Takahashi, I thought he didn't want to do international events? But of course he would be the best choice for the audience :)

From what I've heard, Takahashi has reconsidered that statement.

These are his latest statements (06/15):

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/201...U2dsqJ-sf5EGLh7kNs9L8_yHZqApuwUyTnFPd8AQkQuzk

https://www.nikkansports.com/m/sports/news/201906150000583_m.html?mode=all

According to google translate it sounds like he's still indecisive as to which international competition(s) to enter and more like he's dallying over doing a senior b or challenger to achieve min. TES either before or after nationals (depending on how well his program preparation goes) with his eyes set on trying to make the world team. The GPs are mentioned in passing, but that sounds more like a vague longterm goal at best (maybe for the 20/21 season). Someone who speaks japanese please correct me. (Maybe mikeko or deedee? :))

Regarding international competitions taking place in Japan it's more likely we'll see him at JO than at NHK in my personal opinion.

Mia29

On the Ice
A little recap about the TBA host spots :

Men
FRA : Most likely between Tesson, Economides and Le May. Let’s see what are the requirements of French Fed (having a quad in each program ?)

None of them has the minimum of 194.05 (Tessons's PB : 178.49 and Economidès 190.18). Siao Him Fa is the only skater with Aymoz and Ponsart who has the isu criteria at this time.
This year, the federation has not written what they're asking for the worlds championships :biggrin:
Here, the document of the french federation : https://ffsg.org/wp-content/uploads...G-PA-DG-PAS-2019-2020-validés-par-le-BE-1.pdf

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
None of them has the minimum of 194.05 (Tessons's PB : 178.49 and Economidès 190.18). Siao Him Fa is the only skater with Aymoz and Ponsart who has the isu criteria at this time.
You don't need minimums for a host spot.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How the heck did these men get non-host invites:

Artur Dmitriev (NHK): SB 34/WS 103
Anton Shulepov (IDF): 29/105
Conrad Orzel (NHK): 48/42

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How the heck did these men get non-host invites:

Artur Dmitriev (NHK): SB 34/WS 103
Anton Shulepov (IDF): 29/105
Conrad Orzel (NHK): 48/42

I think all the eligible guys (excluding those presumably remaining jr) through SB 41 got a spot, even if they weren't guaranteed one. So it's completely natural that Artur and Anton would get a spot. They then skipped a couple of guys to take Conrad, but it wasn't a huge reach.

Koshiro Shimada (41/35) got a non-host spot, then the next 2 guys are likely still juniors. Then it looks to me like Irakli Maysuradze (SB 44), Alexey Erokhov (SB 46) and Sota Yamamoto (SB 47) were skipped to pick Conrad. NHK is the one that took Conrad, and they already had Sota, so it's just like they skipped Irakli and Alexey. And Conrad trains at TCC with Hanyu and Jason who are also at the event, so that might have been part of it.

Andrea82

Medalist
The biggest "mystery" in the Men selections is Tsao who is down at 70 in SB list.

SB top 24 have 2 GPs. Then all men between 25 and 41 have been given 1 GP. Those in that range with 2 had one spot guaranteed by WS (Savosin, Vasjlievs, Pulkinen) or were host picked (Sadovsky, Ponsart, Nadeau). Only exception is Bychenko (40 in SB list) who wasn't given a second GP on top of the one guaranteed by WS.

Then it seems they skipped a couple of skaters (see above post by SnowWhite) to go down to Orzel and half of the world to get Tsao.

Mia29

On the Ice
You don't need minimums for a host spot.
I didn't know.
But it is the only condition written on the federation document. Last year, they had only 2 skaters. They asked for 192.84 (document made in May 2018). Economidès had more in 2017 and wasn't sent (had around 200 during the masters 2018). Maybe he was injured (I don't know exactly his career) but he skated a week after the Trophée de France and beat his best free score. So it's the reason why I doubt they will choose a third figure skater. If I look 2018, it's not logical.
I could be wrong. They seem to change strategies for the juniors (and I'm happy about it !) so maybe they are doing the same for seniors figure skaters

bennorii

On the Ice
The biggest "mystery" in the Men selections is Tsao who is down at 70 in SB list.

SB top 24 have 2 GPs. Then all men between 25 and 41 have been given 1 GP. Those in that range with 2 had one spot guaranteed by WS (Savosin, Vasjlievs, Pulkinen) or were host picked (Sadovsky, Ponsart, Nadeau). Only exception is Bychenko (40 in SB list) who wasn't given a second GP on top of the one guaranteed by WS.

Then it seems they skipped a couple of skaters (see above post by SnowWhite) to go down to Orzel and half of the world to get Tsao.

Also it's CoC to which he is assigned which makes it stranger... at least to me.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I didn't know.
But it is the only condition written on the federation document.

It is strongly recommended that GP competitors have the minimum scores, and different host countries do set their own internal requirements prior to selecting and paying travel costs for their athletes to compete on the GP. It is up to the different federations what requirements they set. China usually fills its three-host team ice dance quota regardless of minimums. Japan chooses not to and invites athletes from other countries instead.

When juniors, athletes can often improve their World Standing by competing in two-to-three events on the JGP rather than competing in only one GP. (Luc Economides did this in 2017. Or are we talking about a different Economides?) Anyway, I do think you have a point. It's hard to tell what France's internal criteria is because they change it during different seasons and don't always follow it even when they set it, but as you said spots are not always filled there. It is possible that having a minimum score is one of the French Federation's own requirements.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Nic Nadeau goes from Canada to France, but considering that he's 33 on the SB list and 54 on WS, he's lucky to get 2 events.

I like Nic Nadeau, but yeah, he didn't have good results last season.

It may be tough for Nadeau to move up the standings. I think one of his challenges is his size. He's a big guy. He's not only tall, but also muscular. He's built more like a male pairs skater. Because he's bigger than the average male single skater, I think it affects his ability to jump and do all the rotations sometimes.

But Nadeau has a lot of charisma and is a great performer and I think he would be a very good ice show skater if his competitive career doesn't work out.

Nirti

Medalist
This year, the federation has not written what they're asking for the worlds championships :biggrin:
Here, the document of the french federation : https://ffsg.org/wp-content/uploads...G-PA-DG-PAS-2019-2020-validés-par-le-BE-1.pdf

"Here are the selection criteria, that allow us not to follow the selection criteria" :biggrin:
So Tesson, Economides and Le May (or another guy) will have to compete at challengers, unless the federation considers they have a "potentiel avéré"...

In the ladies event, Serna already meets the requirements (SB 149.49, so over 142.50), but neither Froetscher nor Crozet (nor Mazzara who scored 139.59 last season)