2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
The biggest "mystery" in the Men selections is Tsao who is down at 70 in SB list.

SB top 24 have 2 GPs. Then all men between 25 and 41 have been given 1 GP. Those in that range with 2 had one spot guaranteed by WS (Savosin, Vasjlievs, Pulkinen) or were host picked (Sadovsky, Ponsart, Nadeau). Only exception is Bychenko (40 in SB list) who wasn't given a second GP on top of the one guaranteed by WS.

Then it seems they skipped a couple of skaters (see above post by SnowWhite) to go down to Orzel and half of the world to get Tsao.

I wonder if it might have anything to do with the tensions between China and Taiwan? Could skating be this political? :confused2: But then, Tsao might do well on his own, I recall he was 2nd last August in Asian Open. Anyway, he's an interesting addition so I look forward to seeing him on the GP circuit.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How the heck did these men get non-host invites:

Artur Dmitriev (NHK): SB 34/WS 103

No idea... But the Men of NHK better watch out! Whenever Dmitriev tries his 4A all the 3As run for cover and splats abound! :laugh:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Can anybody explain why Iliuschechkina/Bilodeau have two GPs, but Stolbova and Novoselov haven't been added yet?

pearly

Record Breaker
Can anybody explain why Iliuschechkina/Bilodeau have two GPs, but Stolbova and Novoselov haven't been added yet?

Isn't there something about how returning skaters and skaters with certain world ranking, even with new partners, can get spots? Or maybe their one or both spots were host picks.

Novoselov may not have been released yet. Do we even know they are still training together?

ETA: I searched a bit. Here's something:

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the
past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one
or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure
Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2019/20 of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection
Meeting. Such so called “Come Back Skaters/Couples” will not substitute any of the Seeded
Skaters/Couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of
the minimum Grand Prix score and would be considered for selection as an Organizing ISU Member
Choice.

Return of a Split Couple - “Returning Split Couple”
Pairs or Dance Couples, who were previously in the top 7 to 12 of an ISU World Figure Skating
Championships in the past two seasons (2017/18 or 2018/19) but who split and now have a new partner,
may always be chosen as an Organizing ISU Member Skater as per paragraph 2.2. f) and in addition,
may be considered as an Organizing ISU Member’s Choice as per paragraph 2.2. g). They will be ranked
in the list of Grand Prix Season’s Best scores by taking the season’s points of their partnership with their
most recent previous partner, if proof is given in writing by their ISU Member that they intend to continue
their competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection
Meeting. Such Pairs/Dance Couples are defined as a “Returning Split Couple” and such Returning Split
Couples do not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum Grand Prix score.

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...44-gp-general-announcement-2019-20-final/file

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Either Novoselov hasn't been released yet or RusFed doesn't think they're camera-ready yet (it's not like they have a shortage of pairs teams to choose from).

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
A) Eunsoo Lim has Skate America :shocked:
B) Mariah Bell does not have Skate America :eeking:
C) I really wish they both have Skate America :devil:

bennorii

On the Ice
I wonder if it might have anything to do with the tensions between China and Taiwan? Could skating be this political? :confused2: But then, Tsao might do well on his own, I recall he was 2nd last August in Asian Open. Anyway, he's an interesting addition so I look forward to seeing him on the GP circuit.

Wait but if it were political tensions, wouldn't China not want to invite someone from Taiwan? And this is regardless of whether Tsao is ranked 70th on the SB list or however good he is.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The results may say one thing, but we all know there is a very obvious difference in skating ability between the Polish couple and any other team in the top 15. They are slow, loud, heavy-looking, and have basic elements and cheesy choreo in comparison to their peers. The politics are a different story, but the truth is obvious if you know Ice Dance.
All of which isn't relevant to my point, which was that the Poles ranked higher of late than the Spanish, so on paper they're more likely to win the bronze medal; with, again, the caveat that Kaliszek/Spodyriev typically don't start the season very well (and last year it was particularly bad).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Kaliszek & Spodyriev and Hurtado & Khaliavin split results last season.

K&S finished higher at Europeans & Worlds. Hurtado & Khaliavin finished higher at Rostelecom Cup (both teams were invited there last year as they are this season).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Nic Nadeau, but yeah, he didn't have good results last season.

It may be tough for Nadeau to move up the standings. I think one of his challenges is his size. He's a big guy. He's not only tall, but also muscular. He's built more like a male pairs skater. Because he's bigger than the average male single skater, I think it affects his ability to jump and do all the rotations sometimes.

But Nadeau has a lot of charisma and is a great performer and I think he would be a very good ice show skater if his competitive career doesn't work out.

Perhaps Nadeau should consider a career as a Pairs skater. Given his size, he could pick almost any size girl as a partner. And it would be great to see a male pairs skater with some real performance ability.

Ziotic

Medalist
Perhaps Nadeau should consider a career as a Pairs skater. Given his size, he could pick almost any size girl as a partner. And it would be great to see a male pairs skater with some real performance ability.

The only thing is that he jumps the other way.

My dark horse pick for Skate America: Better get Mako (Yamashita). :love:

She scored over 200 points at Skate Canada last year, missing gold by a quarter of a point and beating Evgenia Medvedeva, Mariah Bell, Elizabet Tursybnbaeva and Wakaba Higuchi. :yes:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

She scored over 200 points at Skate Canada last year, missing gold by a quarter of a point and beating Evgenia Medvedeva, Mariah Bell, Elizabet Tursybnbaeva and Wakaba Higuchi. :yes:

Urgh. Is she the one with Una voce poco fa, and did I hear she’s keeping it? If so, I’m sure she’s a lovely girl but... :drama:

Enough said.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I love her!! She is a lovely skater. She was one of the highlights of attending SC last season.