USA Courtney HICKS (none)
HKG Yi Christy LEUNG (none)
USA Starr ANDREWS (NHK)
FIN Emmi PELTONEN (none)
CAN Veronik MALLET (SA)
GER Nicole SCHOTT (none)
USA Megan WESSENBERG (none)
------

What's kind of funny is that Courtney has not competed this summer (that I know of) and Megan's highest summer score that I know of is pretty far down. The highest non-JGP skater summer/fall scores of US Ladies besides Starr, Karen, and Mariah.... are Amber Glenn (sb 64 last year, this year sb21 so far), Emily Zhang, Rena Ikenishi, and Pooja Kalyan (sb 79 last year)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I forgot to mention, in terms of other possible vacancies, based on her generally pessimistic Instagram posts of late, I’m dubious about the odds of Loena Hendrickx being ready for France and Rostelecom.

Nirti

Medalist
As there's probably no hope of a podium for the french girls, inviting Young You wouldn't be a big threat... But she and Kim Yelim are already assigned to SC one week ago...
Or Nicole Schott? French-german friendship? :luv17:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
As there's probably no hope of a podium for the french girls, inviting Young You wouldn't be a big threat... But she and Kim Yelim are already assigned to SC one week ago...

If I had a say in it (and I absolutely shouldn't, I'm way too biased) I'd give Young the IdF spot and Yelim the NHK spot, while I don't want Young to keep on doing back-to-back events (back-to-back Challengers were enough...) she has better odds for a podium finish there, and since Yelim is training in Korea this season she won't have to go across continents a second time. But then there would be two GPs where the members of the trio compete against each other :dbana:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yee wasn't even in the top 10 on the replacement list. Guess Canada wanted a no-threat replacement for the home team for seed Kolyada.

As much as I want to be patriotic, I do not see a Canadian medal in SC in men’s division.

Nirti

Medalist
And now I don't unterstand the ISU rules anymore :biggrin:

Ignatov won a challenger event so he got the right to be on the alternates list, BUT according to the rules he should have be placed at the bottom of the alternates list so not in the position to be chosen for NHK Trophy...?!?

haribobo

On the Ice
"The alternate list needs to be worked through in ranking order for the top 75 ranked Skaters/Couples according to their Season’s Best. All Skaters/Couples of the alternate list will be grouped in top ranked groups of ten (10) Skaters, out of which the respective Organizing ISU Member may pick one Skater/Couple for invitation. Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2019/20 and can prove to have skated the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, will be added to the alternate list, bottom ranked according to their scores."

So I have always found the wording to be VERY murky on this rule, but it seems that by winning Nebelhorn, Ignatov was able to be placed in the alternate list. Its the "bottom ranked according to their scores" wording which is wildly confusing and seems to allow for a variety of interpretations. But, whatever. Ignatov is a worthy competitor here at any rate.

When considering the winners of the other singles challenger series events (Hanyu, Jin, Tanaka, Aliev, Kihira, Shcherbakova, Miyahara, Trusova, Bell), all of them have GP spots already, so he was the only winner without spots until recently. FWIW, I'd rather see the CS winners like Ignatov get the spots than someone who was 40th best last year and might even be at a much lower level this year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And more importantly, is he based in Canada like Yee is?... We all wish for more spots for our faves, bu there aren't enough.

No, not more importantly. If Litvintsev has not competed anywhere yet, he may be injured & therefore not able to currently accept an invitation. This is why I'm asking if anyone has noticed him on any entry lists, rather than assuming he has been skipped over.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No, not more importantly. If Litvintsev has not competed anywhere yet, he may be injured & therefore not able to currently accept an invitation. This is why I'm asking if anyone has noticed him on any entry lists, rather than assuming he has been skipped over.

He was on the list for Nepela originally but didn't end up competing there. He's still on the list for Ice Star as of now.

Nirti

Medalist
And still no replacement for Turkkila/Versluis in Russia.

To replace McNamara/Carpenter in France :

01 (28) 170.47 Betina POPOVA / Sergei MOZGOV (RUS) – GP CAN
02 (30) 168.06 Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS (LTU) – GP RUS
03 (32) 167.94 Anastasia SHPILEVAIA / Grigori SMIRNOV (RUS) – GP RUS
04 (34) 165.31 Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN (GER)
05 (36) 162.94 Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI (ITA)
06 (37) 162.50 Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND (GBR)
07 (38) 161.40 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS (HUN)
08 (40) 158.11 Katharina MÜLLER / Tim DIECK (GER)
09 (42) 156.16 Aleksandra NAZAROVA / Maksim NIKITIN (UKR)
10 (43) 154.42 Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV (UKR)

And to replace Ting Cui in Japan :
01 (24) 196.34 Yelim KIM (KOR) – GP CAN
02 (34) 183.98 Young YOU (KOR) – GP CAN
03 (39) 180.55 Marina PIREDDA (ITA)
04 (42) 179.88 Ekaterina RIABOVA (AZE) – GP RUS
05 (45) 178.07 Courtney HICKS (USA)
06 (46) 177.22 Yi Christy LEUNG (HKG)
07 (52) 174.72 Starr ANDREWS (USA)
08 (56) 172.02 Emmi PELTONEN (FIN)
09 (57) 170.68 Veronik MALLET (CAN)
10 (58) 170.56 Nicole SCHOTT (GER)
(11 (60) 170.33 Megan WESSENBERG (USA))

lusterfan

Final Flight
Will Skate America be able to replace her spot in time? There's not exactly a lot of time left (~a week), although it wouldn't be impossible I suppose. I'm heading to Skate America, so hopefully they're able to fill the spot with someone!

readernick

Medalist
She probably did exacerbate her injury in Shanghai. Why did she do a layback spin with a serious back injury?

- - - Updated - - -

Will Skate America be able to replace her spot in time? There's not exactly a lot of time left (~a week), although it wouldn't be impossible I suppose. I'm heading to Skate America, so hopefully they're able to fill the spot with someone!

Hard to say. Maybe someone who trains in the US?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Young You could be a possibility as she trains in the U.S.