2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP Series: Entries announced

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Loena Hendrickx has withdrawn from France and Russia; her ankle ligaments must not have healed enough to let her be ready in time.

Unlikely Kailani will pick up a spot given that they're in Europe and she trains in the US, but Nicole Schott is a possibility, especially for the, erm, frugal FFSG.

(Speaking of which, are we predicting cheap Christmas tree ornaments for the I de F medals this year or what? :laugh: )

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Megan Wessenberg is one very lucky girl. Multiple challenger assignments and now a GP assignment. I hope she can make the most of her GP assignment but I’m not too optimistic about it.

I am so very upset that Loena has to withdraw from her assignments. I think she has so much potential.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Loena is so unlucky :(

ISU should do something about skipping over potential threats. It's really not right that skaters who can score >200 are the last to be considered.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It looks like Starr Andrews has replaced Ting Cui in France. Loena's spot is still open.

Marina Piredda didn't skate in the JGP, she was only on the substitute list, so she's in with a chance.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Marina Piredda didn't skate in the JGP, she was only on the substitute list, so she's in with a chance.
She missed the JGP because of an injury, sadly i don't think she has already recover from that :confused2:

Nirti

Medalist
Really frustrating for the Korean girls.
And for Loena :(

So, to replace Loena Hendrickx at GP FRA and RUS :
01 (24) 196.34 Yelim KIM (KOR) – GP CAN
02 (34) 183.98 Young YOU (KOR) – GP CAN
(03 (39) 180.55 Marina PIREDDA (ITA) injured)
04 (42) 179.88 Ekaterina RIABOVA (AZE) – GP RUS - only eligible to GP FRA
05 (45) 178.07 Courtney HICKS (USA)
06 (56) 172.02 Emmi PELTONEN (FIN)
07 (57) 170.68 Veronik MALLET (CAN) - GP USA
08 (58) 170.56 Nicole SCHOTT (GER)
09 (60) 170.33 Megan WESSENBERG (USA) - GP JPN
10 (61) 169.03 Nicole RAJICOVA (SVK)
11 (62) 167.84 Kailani CRAINE (AUS) - only eligible to GP RUS
(12 (63) 166.77 Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE))

Ziotic

Medalist
Both Yelim and You should have two spots. I wonder if they were offered but had to decline due to other commitments??

They aren’t really a threat to the Russians and there isn’t a French lady at the top so it doesn’t make sense to not invite them?

ruga

Final Flight
I'm not surprised to see how they're skipping over Yelim and Young. Last season there were a bunch of withdrawals but Eunsoo Lim was one of the last to get such spot. But I don't know for how long they can keep skipping over them. Hope they get their spots if there are more withdrawals.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They aren’t really a threat to the Russians and there isn’t a French lady at the top so it doesn’t make sense to not invite them?

This is the French federation we're talking about. Replacing one US skater who was already invited with another at the same cost is one thing, but replacing a TGV trip from Brussels with an expensive international plane ticket? :laugh: It goes against their grain. We shall have to see if the existence of their new sponsor makes a difference to that sort of thing this year, but I suspect the habit is too ingrained to break.

...okay, that's a bit of a flippant comment, but we do need to remember that the individual host federations pay for all the attending skaters' transportation, accommodation and meals for the duration of the competition in addition to all of the costs of running the competition itself. Funding and logistics do play into their decision-making process, and that has to be kept in mind.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Both Yelim and You should have two spots. I wonder if they were offered but had to decline due to other commitments??

They are. Not for Trusova, but for Medvedeva and Konstantinova they are. That is why Russia was not an option from the start.

frida80

Record Breaker
Of course they don't get spots... (deep sigh)

Land on triple axel over the summer and no one wants to take a chance. :( At least they didn’t give Young or Yelim SA. It would’ve driven me crazy given they just competed in Korea over the weekend.

NaVi

Medalist
Young should get another spot... she's kind of in a tough position though where she's done well yet didn't actually win her challenger series events. She should be able to finish top 12 at worlds next year. I think they should let skaters who are only invited to one GP event and who are 15-16 the option of doing that GP event and the JGP.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Of course they don't get spots... (deep sigh)
Korea should hold a seventh Grand Prix event. We could probably sell the KSU on it by telling them they'd get to hold another round of qualifying competitions to determine Korea's host picks.