bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Ice dance events ranked by Gadbois-iness:

1. 6/9 (67%), Cup of China
2-3 (tie). 5/9 (56%), Skate America / Internationaux de France
4. 5/10 (50%), NHK Trophy
5. 4/10 (40%), Skate Canada International
6. 1/9 (11%), Rostelecom Cup (zut alors!)

I was noticing that, too... I know it's been typical to have certain coaches dominate the field / podium (thinking of Zueva and Shpilband, for example) but this is reaching almost ludicrous levels when 6 out of 9 teams are from the same place! I wonder what the dynamic is like for skaters training there - are they really all friends, as they'd like to suggest? Isn't it hard competing against people you train with every day?

Also, I laughed at your comment on Rostelecom. Only 1 Gadbois team, unheard of! :laugh:

Andrea82

Medalist
I’m trying to do the alternate lists :

For each replacement, the alternate has to be chosen between the 10 best ranked skaters available, of course if they don’t already compete in the same GP and if there are not already 3 entries from the same country as the alternate. So the alternate list will be different for each replacement, especially for the ladies where 5 of the top10 alternates are russian and can only replace another russian skater.

(In brackets, the position on the Season’s Best 75 list)

Men

etc

Dolensky retired this summer. He is doing ice shows on a ship cruise.
I think Alexander Johnson also retired. But I had to check if he made an explicit announcement. Anyway, he is not on USFSA International Pool.

I guess Marina Piredda may do JGP. She was born on 28.09.2002

Manta/Johnson retired. They are doing Cirque du Soleil now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Dolensky retired this summer. He is doing ice shows on a ship cruise. ...

Regarding those skating in cruise shows who have not actually used the R word themselves, I myself like to keep in mind that LeDuc temporarily skated in cruise shows (in part, to make money for training) and then returned to competitive skating.

(Also: I don't remember Lubov's wording when she started performing with Cirque, but she obviously has returned to competitive skating.)

Nirti

Medalist
small nitpick: Canada doesn't have a TBA spot for dance, they already selected 3 teams (Gilles/Poirier, Lajoie/Lagha, Sales/Wamsteeker)

Thanks, it's updated :)

Dolensky retired this summer. He is doing ice shows on a ship cruise.
I think Alexander Johnson also retired. But I had to check if he made an explicit announcement. Anyway, he is not on USFSA International Pool.
I guess Marina Piredda may do JGP. She was born on 28.09.2002
Manta/Johnson retired. They are doing Cirque du Soleil now.

Updated too. I will miss Manta/Johnson!

I wondered why Marina Piredda didn't get a GP, as she was good ranked. So it makes more sense if she prefers to do JGP...

slider11

Medalist
The most likely answer is because Hawayek & Baker have two guaranteed berths. They don't need a host spot right now. They did in the past when they were ranked 4th and 5th at Nationals, and they were given a host berth at SA twice when they were in that position. They were a medal threat on the GP at the time so other countries didn't want to invite them, and SA gave them the spot. They will probably get one again in the future (most likely at some point when it might clearly help them make the GPF). But they don't need it right now because they have the guaranteed berths.

The young teams need them, and they are hard to place with non-host invites right now because both McNamara & Carpenter and Carreira & Ponomarenko have GP medals from last season but no guaranteed second spots because they couldn't go to Worlds. Their records make them an additional unseeded and non-mandatory threat at every dance event on the GP. They are a problem at SC for Lajoie & Lagha, in France for Lauriault & Le Gac, in Russia for Skoptcova & Aleshin, in China for Wang & Liu. The only exception isn't really an exception. They are obviously a problem for Komatsubara & Koleto at NHK also. But everyone NHK invites will be a problem for K&K so Japan really doesn't have much of anything to lose by inviting the young U.S. teams. So it is not at all surprising that C&P and M&C ended up there.

H&B had the second SA spot two years ago. M&C had it last season. So C&P get it this season.

And Green & Parsons (a team made up of one U.S. Junior Champion and one medalist on last year's GP) get a good shot at a second GP spot.

As far as Hawayek & Baker are concerned, their best results have actually always happened at NHK rather than SA anyway. I don't think they would necessarily be better off in this particular field at SA with Hubbell & Donohue, Stepanova & Bukin, and Zagorski & Guerreiro there. They lost to Z&G at the GPF last season. It's tough this season for H&B going up against Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson, but H&B did defeat them in both matches last year. In the end, you probably learn more and make a stronger argument for yourself competing away from home than you do at home anyway. The goal is not to win at the start of the season. It's to win at the end of it.

Thanks for that very insightful response!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
two spots for fear/gibson!! glad they've got NHK again as they were well received there last year! I'm excited yet terribly nervous for their new programmes as their free last year was such a knock out!

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
One spot for the NHK Trophy (Ladies) is currently marked TBD, which would be taken by Marin Honda or Yuhana Yokoi. Both of them are very promising young skaters who should get a chance to go to the Grand Prix Final by fulfilling two GP assignments.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe because they didn't do very well in ladies lol. I too was surprised Chartrand didn't get one but really she has not been sharp.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
One spot for the NHK Trophy (Ladies) is currently marked TBD, which would be taken by Marin Honda or Yuhana Yokoi. Both of them are very promising young skaters who should get a chance to go to the Grand Prix Final by fulfilling two GP assignments.

Maybe there will be a closed competition like last year. Or they will simply have early challengers where they will have to do well to expect to get that spot.

Nirti

Medalist
A little recap about the TBA host spots :

Men
USA : Krasnozhon is far on the alternate list to get his 2nd GP so a host pick would be the better choice to support his first full-senior season. He ranked #5 at US Nats. Or will the US fed surprise us and give it to Ma again, or offer to Rabbitt, Moeller or Savary their first GP ever ?
FRA : Most likely between Tesson, Economides and Le May. Let’s see what are the requirements of French Fed (having a quad in each program ?)
CHN : Most likely Zhang ?
RUS : Shulepov and Dmitriev are in good position to obtain their 2nd GP as alternate, so will the Russian fed support Erokhov after his complicated last season ?
JPN : Shimada is the obvious choice if he doesn’t get a 2nd GP as alternate. If he does so, the choice is open : Nakamura, Hino or Sato ? Edit : Sumoto is another possibility if he skips the JGPs, and Takahashi if he decides to compete internationaly.

Ladies
USA : A second GP for Andrews or a first GP for Wessenberg, Glenn or Hicks ? Or a more surprising choice like last year ?
CAN : The choice is open between Mallet, Chartrand, Pineault or Long.
FRA : The choice is open between Serna, Froetscher and Crozet.
CHN : Lin isn’t eligible, so the return of Zhao or a former US skater ?
JPN : Obviously between Honda and Yokoi, as Japan already have 3 entries in 4 other GPs.

Pairs
USA : Many contenders. Calalang/Johnson have good chances to obtain a second GP as alternate. Lu/Mitrofanov already have one GP, but the US fed could give the chance to a former junior team (Feng/Nyman or Lockley/Prochnow) or give it to Digerness/Neudecker again.
CAN : Obviously between Ruest/Wolfe and Walsh/Michaud. But both are in good position to obtain a second GP as alternate, so in case of many withdrawals, the ticket can be given to another senior team (Matte/Ferland, Brasseur/Bardei, Choinard/Ostiguy) or a new team (Purich/Chudak ?)
CHN : Tang/Yang if they don’t get a 2nd GP as alternates, what about Wang/Wang and Yu/Zhang ? New pair Liu/Xie won’t be eligible before february.
RUS : Efimova/Korovin seem an obvious choice if they don’t get a 2nd GP as alternate. There’s some other teams with a little international experience : Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov, Koshevaia/Bushlanov or Lukashevich/Stepanov.
Ice dance
JPN : Miura/Ichihashi are too old to do JGP, so if Japanese Fed waits before giving them the spot, does it mean that another team is in development ?

Ice dance
USA : Most probably Green/Parsons, as the other teams are far from the international level.
FRA : Galiavieva/Thauron have good chances to earn their 2nd GP as alternate. If it’s the case, the choice will be between Wagret/Souquet and Lopareva/Brissaud.
CHN : Ning/Wang or Guo/Zhao ?
RUS : Popova/Mozgov are #1 on the alternate list, but Russia already has 3 entries at GP USA and CHN, so it may be more complicated for them to have a 2nd GP. If they do so, let’s see if Russian fed prefers Morozov/Bagin as Shpilevaia/Smirnov again…

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
JPN : Shimada is the obvious choice if he doesn’t get a 2nd GP as alternate. If he does so, the choice is open : Nakamura, Hino or Sato ?

Don't forget Mitsuki Sumoto who has just turned senior and has a JGP silver. But Hiroaki had a nice result at the universiade, so he might be considered too. The other two don't stand a chance IMO. And there's always the possibility that Daisuke does well enough in an international competition to get selected.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Don't forget Mitsuki Sumoto who has just turned senior and has a JGP silver. But Hiroaki had a nice result at the universiade, so he might be considered too. The other two don't stand a chance IMO. And there's always the possibility that Daisuke does well enough in an international competition to get selected.

Daisuke seems the obvious choice if he’s able to get the minimums.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Daisuke seems the obvious choice if he’s able to get the minimums.

The quote I read from him sounded like he was thinking more along the lines of doing a senior B or a Challenger, though. (Dipping his toe back into international waters rather than plunging in at the GP level).