Should I change skates? | Golden Skate

Should I change skates?

Clod

Rinkside
Hi, I'm and adult figure skater. At the moment I wear Edea Overture and I read on the website that they are ok up to the Axel. Since I'm doing doubles now, should I switch them? If I'm going to change I'm going to buy Edea Ice fly boots directly, and stick to them until they die.

Also, I don't understand the differences between blades :p Now I have Edea Charme, if it can be useful.

Thank you! :)

ps. My coach told me to stick to Edea boots, she said nothing about blades

jf12

Final Flight
Hi, I'm and adult figure skater. At the moment I wear Edea Overture and I read on the website that they are ok up to the Axel. Since I'm doing doubles now, should I switch them? If I'm going to change I'm going to buy Edea Ice fly boots directly, and stick to them until they die.

Also, I don't understand the differences between blades :p Now I have Edea Charme, if it can be useful.

Thank you! :)

ps. My coach told me to stick to Edea boots, she said nothing about blades

Yes, you should probably get new blades as well at the same time.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I agree with jf12, sounds like it's time to get a better blade, too! Here is a link to a comparison chart of blades: https://skaterslanding.com/pages/blade-comparison-chart (I would look at the "Competitive" section.)

Normally I might suggest Coronation Ace blades, but if you are working on doubles already, you could benefit from a higher-level blade. Phantom, Pattern 99, or Gold Seal are all popular choices.

Clod

Rinkside
I agree with jf12, sounds like it's time to get a better blade, too! Here is a link to a comparison chart of blades: https://skaterslanding.com/pages/blade-comparison-chart (I would look at the "Competitive" section.)

Normally I might suggest Coronation Ace blades, but if you are working on doubles already, you could benefit from a higher-level blade. Phantom, Pattern 99, or Gold Seal are all popular choices.

Thank you very much! That was super helpful ☺️

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Look into MK Gold Star blades as well. For now, if starting doubles you would be fine with a Wilson Coronation Ace or an MK Pro though. In your case your blades will die before your boots. But you will have to get new boots again if you are doing doubles as an adult.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
How heavy are you? I know kids learning doubles in overture.
As for blades, coronation ace is perfectly reasonable until you start learning double axel. Overtures May be too weak for you but it depends on skater to skater. I’d recommend chorus, and if you’re gonna work 2A soon (basically I’m asking if your single axel is big and strong) then gold seal blades might be worth it - but I’d personally stick to cheaper coronation ace.

daniiltimin

Rinkside
I would recommend for you to upgrade to Edea Chorus boots not Ice Fly. ICe Fly’s are really unnecessary in your situation and they won’t do any better for you than Chorus which are meant for skaters that are learning/working on double jumps.

Regarding blades, look at something with 7′ rocker radius which will be a good upgrade and fit for you - blades like MK Professional or John Wilson “Coronation Ace”.

Take a look at some information in this article https://fslessons.com/how-to-choose-figure-skates-boots-blades/ it will answer to a lot of your questions regarding which skates you should choose.

Elija

On the Ice
While you may not ‘need’ ice flys, I would recommend them over chorus. I had chorus as an adult skater and just found they were not supportive enough. I feel much safer and more stable in the ice flys i have now. No way I would be learning doubles in overtures if I were you! Everyone is different though.

I can see a ten year old kid getting away with overtures for beginning doubles, but I don’t think so as an adult.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Get the Ice Fly. As an adult skater doing doubles, you aren't going to make it in a Chorus.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
Hi,
I have Edea Chorus and recently switched from Charme Blade to Mk professional. The difference is huge and I just have singles axel included. Not to mention the improvement in spins. I' m starting to think that if I work hard I could also learn doubles. Anyway I wouldn't try any double in Choruses. I suggest you to skip and go straight to the Ice Fly or Concerto. Concerto are rated as slightly softer (85) but they have a complete different feeling and in certain ways they feel as stiff as the ice Fly.

daniiltimin

Rinkside
Get the Ice Fly. As an adult skater doing doubles, you aren't going to make it in a Chorus.

You guys are so silly with your Ice Fly’s. Buying the most expensive skates is not the solution here. I understand that anybody can buy and skate in Ice Fly’s but why does recreational adult skater needs them so badly?

Aren’t going to make it in Chorus? You kidding right? OP right now skates in Overtures with Charme blades and already doing doubles (she is already “making it” in her current skates). Switching to Chorus with blades like MK Professional or such will already be a huge upgrade which will allow to take a big step forward.

This hysteria about Ice Fly’s needs to stop. Buying the most expensive skates is not necessarily going to make you a better skater.

jf12

Final Flight
You guys are so silly with your Ice Fly’s. Buying the most expensive skates is not the solution here. I understand that anybody can buy and skate in Ice Fly’s but why does recreational adult skater needs them so badly?

Aren’t going to make it in Chorus? You kidding right? OP right now skates in Overtures with Charme blades and already doing doubles (she is already “making it” in her current skates). Switching to Chorus with blades like MK Professional or such will already be a huge upgrade which will allow to take a big step forward.

This hysteria about Ice Fly’s needs to stop. Buying the most expensive skates is not necessarily going to make you a better skater.

From the perspective of a recreational adult skater in their 30's doing doubles, it's not important for me to necessarily do a lot of higher level jumps than currently, but to maintain and especially not to have injuries. Adults are heavier than kids, and harder on boots - at this age you get injured a lot easier and takes longer to recover, and presumably adults have a lot of responsibility at work/family that would also be negatively impacted if they got injured. It is not that the OP 'needs' them to do jumps, but there are lots of reasons to get expensive boots other than doing the maximum amount of skills for spending the least amount of money.

daniiltimin

Rinkside

From the perspective of a recreational adult skater in their 30's doing doubles, it's not important for me to necessarily do a lot of higher level jumps than currently, but to maintain and especially not to have injuries. Adults are heavier than kids, and harder on boots - at this age you get injured a lot easier and takes longer to recover, and presumably adults have a lot of responsibility at work/family that would also be negatively impacted if they got injured. It is not that the OP 'needs' them to do jumps, but there are lots of reasons to get expensive boots other than doing the maximum amount of skills for spending the least amount of money.

My point is OP has Overture now and getting Chorus boots with normal blades is already a huge upgrade. Chorus are not bad and cheap boots and they have enough support even for adult skaters.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Maybe go back and read some of my posts. I'm a pro and former elite competitive skater. I HATE EDEAS and never suggest them unless I feel they are going to be what is best for a particular skater. Also, I don't push people into skates they don't need. I don't push Ice Fly and Piano just because someone decided that's the trendy thing to do.

For the record I skate 2 disciplines and wear Jackson and Risport.

So please be informed about some of the posts that have happened here over the last 3 years before attacking and criticizing.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
My point is OP has Overture now and getting Chorus boots with normal blades is already a huge upgrade. Chorus are not bad and cheap boots and they have enough support even for adult skaters.

Not always. The Chorus didn't have enough support for me (also an adult skater). They were way too flimsy. The tongue especially did not provide adequate support. I knew right away I'd injure myself in them doing singles, much less doubles. The very reputable and knowledgeable pro I work with agreed. He tends to recommend them only for recreational adult skaters who aren't interested in jumping provided they're of average size.

Personally, I'm very happy with my Concertos. They're rated for triples and quads, which I am not doing, but the support they provide offers me the stability and injury protection I need as a fully grown adult skater.

As previously mentioned, adults often have different needs when it comes to boots than younger skaters. The stiffness and jump ratings are a general guideline, not hard and fast rules. Those guidelines aren't always right for every skater. This isn't about pushing a trendy boot (which Ic3Rabbit would never do especially with Edeas :laugh:) but about suggesting a boot appropriate for this specific adult skater.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
As previously mentioned, adults often have different needs when it comes to boots than younger skaters. The stiffness and jump ratings are a general guideline, not hard and fast rules. Those guidelines aren't always right for every skater. This isn't about pushing a trendy boot (which Ic3Rabbit would never do especially with Edeas :laugh:) but about suggesting a boot appropriate for this specific adult skater.

Wanted to agree to this point very strongly - that you cannot consider stiffness ratings and jump ratings to be hard and fast rules. Example - Evgenia Medvedeva and Alena Kostornaia had pretty equivalent jump content this past season (2A/triples), but Medvedeva has been wearing the Piano for years, while Alena was wearing the Chorus (until after the season ended, when she upgraded to Ice Flys, I believe).

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Wanted to agree to this point very strongly - that you cannot consider stiffness ratings and jump ratings to be hard and fast rules. Example - Evgenia Medvedeva and Alena Kostornaia had pretty equivalent jump content this past season (2A/triples), but Medvedeva has been wearing the Piano for years, while Alena was wearing the Chorus (until after the season ended, when she upgraded to Ice Flys, I believe).

Kostornaia's in Pianos now: https://www.instagram.com/p/BziC3IWJF4f/

To support your point, I don't know if she's grown a bit since then but when she was wearing the Chorus last season, she wasn't even 5 feet tall (and is very light as well). A tiny skater like her and a fully grown adult of average size will have very different needs when it comes to boots.

thesoundofice

Rinkside
I wear Chorus, while I'm perfectly fine jumping singles in them I'd never try a double because I'd hurt myself. I'm on the heaviest side, 60 kg,167 cm. My idea is that the right boot has to do not just with weight itself, but with how weight is distributed in your body. My body shape is hourglass so weight is evenly distributed.
Having skated in three brands so far ( Jackson, Risport, Graf) I found the best fit only in Edeas. Anyway I think Edeas boots are slightly softer if compared to other brands, but that's because support mechanism is different. I had the chance to compare Overture with Risport Rf3 pro. Both are considered suitable for singles up to axel but Risport seem to be stiffer than Overture.
OP might be a light skater if she can jump doubles in them. Upgrading boots could only bring benefits for her in terms of boots durability and safety. If she sticks with Edea I'd recommend Concerto or Ice Fly for the reasons stated above. But only the OP can ultimately decide what's best for her.
To the OP: try to talk with your coach about the blades. I used to skate in Charmes, they are good blades, but I think you might need an upgrade. I switched to MK pros. It was easy to adapt and I immediately felt the difference. Better spins and better landings.

Clod

Rinkside
Thank you all for the answers, they were very useful.
I think I will keep my skates and blade for at least the next year, but I'm going to talk to my coach anyway.
The thing with my skates is that I don't feel super safe in them, I have to tie them very tight and at least twice during one session. And I always feel the need to tie them before jumping, I already had problems with my ('landing') ankle since I'm a former roller skater and I don't want that to hurt anymore.
Btw, thank you very much :)

Nimyue

On the Ice
Thank you all for the answers, they were very useful.
I think I will keep my skates and blade for at least the next year, but I'm going to talk to my coach anyway.
The thing with my skates is that I don't feel super safe in them, I have to tie them very tight and at least twice during one session. And I always feel the need to tie them before jumping, I already had problems with my ('landing') ankle since I'm a former roller skater and I don't want that to hurt anymore.
Btw, thank you very much :)

Then you need to upgrade them now, not in a year! You're saying you already have ankle problems... and yet you want to wear a boot that is not supporting you for another year? I'm in my 30s, having skates that are supportive and safe is a top priority. Injuries are awful. I rolled my ankle and was out for six weeks. If I broke my landing ankle I'd be out for months. It's not worth it. Don't skate in boots you don't feel have adequate support for what you are doing.