2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, Zueva gave them the best set of programs they've ever had. If she's responsible for their lack of good competitions lately, that would be a pity.

Albus

Match Penalty
Well, Zueva gave them the best set of programs they've ever had. If she's responsible for their lack of good competitions lately, that would be a pity.

:rofl:
She gave them the most faceless, boring and non champion programs they have ever had. Glorious Rahmaninov was like from another planet when I watch them now.

readernick

Medalist

Their set of programs this year are superior to any we have seen before from them in the past.. They aren't great performers but these programs allow their basics to shine. I do wonder what is happening with their lifts this year. Perhaps they are dealing with injury?

NAOTMAA

Medalist
She gave them the most faceless, boring and non champion programs they have ever had. Glorious Rahmaninov was like from another planet when I watch them now.

Rachmaninov is in my personal opinion easily the best thing they ever did but it got paired off with Candyman (not as horrible as people claim but still nowhere good enough for their talents). It takes TWO programs in win titles, not one. This year they got two programs of equal first class quality that allow their strengths to shine. They went though a major change in their coaching and moved to the United States so its not surprising they're still adjusting and aren't performing their best yet but they are improving with every competition.

Their set of programs this year are superior to any we have seen before from them in the past.. They aren't great performers but these programs allow their basics to shine. I do wonder what is happening with their lifts this year. Perhaps they are dealing with injury?

I think they are starting to open up more artistically. A little in the face but a lot in terms of body movement which is excellent. You can see how working with Marina is paying off.
Also they said in an interview they were tweaking their technique a little in a number of elements so I think that explains why their lifts and spins are inconsistent this season. I think next season they will be more stable and won't have the same off moments.

LadyB

Record Breaker

This is absolutely puzzling me. This is so not them. There must be some underlying issue. It's impossible that they suddenly fail to do on almost every occasion what they're usually do in their sleep.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think they are starting to open up more artistically. A little in the face but a lot in terms of body movement which is excellent.

Exactly. This, together with good music choices, is the reason why I enjoy them so much this season and why it makes me particularly sad to see them making mistakes.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
This is absolutely puzzling me. This is so not them. There must be some underlying issue. It's impossible that they suddenly fail to do on almost every occasion what they're usually do in their sleep.

I think they need a pairs coach and not an ice dance coach.

I was a big fan of Virtue/Moir and Marina played a huge role in their career. T/M have struggled all season on stupid technical stuff. Marina worked with G/G, but they were done competing before Evgenia was even born. I know they went to her to work in certain aspects of their skating but they were better off when they could actually hit their elements. This move is ruining/has ruined their career.

If there is some sort of underlying health issue, I swear they’d be better off to disclose it because narrative matters and it’s better to say skating injured or whatever than just looking like you’ve lost your ability to do lifts and not literally epically feck up every event you enter.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On a lighter note...I've heard Vladimir get a lot of flack for his resting serious face, but check this out...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7MjzPfpECg - Look at that smile! :biggrin:

But I have my fingers and toes crossed for T/M, I'll always support them no matter how they do and what they skate to.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think, besides what happened at the GPF, B/K are setting themselves to fight for Gold at Worlds.

As for numbers #2 and #3, I'm not sure what to say. T/M once again had problems in two programs, and the judges just do not like P/K's FS. With M-T/M skating at home, it's going to be hard for two Russian pairs to get onto the podium. In fact, hopefully B/K won't repeat their GPF performance, otherwise even their podium might be at risk with Chinese and Canadian pairs having good days. Other pairs are wildcards, to say the least.

Brilliant competition for B/K, tho. They have the momentum, and they are surely using everything they have to keep racking up points.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
B/K were superb tonight but they were helped by other pairs failing. If the others had performed to their capability at this moment in time, I think B/K still would have won..but much less a run away victory. I actually would have preferred a smaller difference in points, because that would mean other couples would have skated better than they did tonight. Much as I like both T/M snd P/K, both weren't skating to their ability. Won't go into who I think should have been second...because I do love T/M, and their programmes this year are just beautiful.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Thrilled for B/K! It also looks like judging from the marks the Russian fed. are starting to treat them as the #1 :cool: Fingers crossed real hard for them at worlds :pray:

T/M making the same mistakes this competition they've been making all season long which is frustrating especially since performance wise they they really are trying. But I remember last season they were great at nationals, sub-par at Euros and fabulous at worlds so hopefully it repeats again

P/K pretty much performed similar to what they have all season (except the disastrous GPF) and got a new season best out of it. They did exactly as was expected of them and I assume their performance in this competition was more then good enough to secure the third spot for worlds. A similar repeat of the GPF and I have no doubt the fed. would have replaced them with M/G.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I don't know, their Bolero SP is Olympic gold medal worthy material.

Some of the transitions are insanely difficult and very unique, and probably why they are struggling so much this season.

This is pure speculation but looking at their performances it seems they trained a lot all these difficult transitions and maybe not enough some of the actual elements.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I don't know, their Bolero SP is Olympic gold medal worthy material.

Some of the transitions are insanely difficult and very unique, and probably why they are struggling so much this season.

This is pure speculation but looking at their performances it seems they trained a lot all these difficult transitions and maybe not enough some of the actual elements.

Their programs this season are far more complex then any program they have done before and they do it so effortlessly. So I wouldn't be shocked if they did spend more time practicing the transition moves to the determent of their pair elements.

I don't know how they train. Do they do full run throughs or do they isolate elements? If its the latter it probably does explain why they are having trouble in competition putting it all together. Or perhaps they do do complete run throughs and its simply their nerves, or thinking too much of all the transitions plus elements, that's in the way of doing it clean. They were after all never the most consistent team to start with.

They really do need to do something about the jumps though. They had jump problems in every competition this season. All the transitions in the world won't get the credit it deserves if the jumps aren't there.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Marina had/has her dance teams do double runthroughs of their programs, so I can’t imagine she wouldn’t be doing the same with t/m.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh my goodness, that’s so unfortunate that Mukhamedintzeva Mironov didn’t podium. They are my absolute favorites in the Russian junior line-up. I also loved Mukhtorova (?) Evgeniev....

But that fall in the free, I felt they should stoped them from skating after it, it was obvious poor girl hit her head... ouch, scary.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh my goodness, that’s so unfortunate that Mukhamedintzeva Mironov didn’t podium. They are my absolute favorites in the Russian junior line-up. I also loved Mukhtorova (?) Evgeniev....

But that fall in the free, I felt they should stoped them from skating after it, it was obvious poor girl hit her head... ouch, scary.

I was in shock when it happened, hope everything is OK. Petushkova (correction made) is very brave she was able to finish the program after this. The boy had his head in hands in the K&C, it was obvious he was blaming himself for what happened, but IMO he was still trying to catch her and I think he at least partially reduced the impact. Stil, it was directly on the forehead.

I'm also sad for Mukhamedintzeva/Mironov. They made some mistake in the twist so they received negative GOE and than the fall. But I hope we will see them next season and I wouldn't mind if they would keep the Chess program :)

Of course congrats to Panfilova/Rylov and Akhanteva/Kolesov for two magnificent programs.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The girl who fell from the lift was Petushkova of Petushkova/Malikov pair.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Yes, falls like these in pair skating are gut wrenching to watch. There is another danger when skaters tumble over each other, a blade slashing a face or neck. Hope never to see this in competition.