2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I thought the Finals (Senior & Junior) were a great advertisement for Russian Pairs skating. 8 out of the 12 Pairs from Russia. B/K can push S/H but it won’t be easy. My favourite was P/K, the judges could have been more generous on PCS. The only disappointment was there was no ‘Crack of Doom’ from M&M.

Also the variety of coaching teams was great to see, no one group dominating but Moskvina and her charges leading the way.

I wonder should we be worried about the no show of S/N in Zagreb? Maybe she still is sick.

Yes, it is mentioned in their fan thread.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
B/K definitely lost their chance at the gold, that FS was all over the place.

It's surprising to me that the only way M/G would medal would with disasters from other teams, especially when they competed well. A lot to work on for them, though.

P/K had the chance to make a good impression against M/G again, and they wasted it.

I'd say T/M have all the chances in the world of making the team.

starla16

Medalist
It's surprising to me that the only way M/G would medal would with disasters from other teams, especially when they competed well. A lot to work on for them, though.

;) well they were consistent enough to pass the others margin of errors
needs more speed that's all they lack, the other russian pairs have consistency issues.

s_parks

Record Breaker
They all have work to do. Pairs was never going to be easy for those in their teens/early 20s, for obvious reasons.

starla16

Medalist
They all have work to do. Pairs was never going to be easy for those in their teens/early 20s, for obvious reasons.

of course pairs is times two of singles and considered the most difficult discipline, you also have to pay your dues more to get the PCS rewards
its not like Ice Dance, so M/G medaling in their first GP season is a big feat for them. Hope they finally improve their speed coz that is all they lack, even the commentators noticed their slowness.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Making it to the GPF is no guarantee of actually going to Worlds, P/K already know that from last year. But they really blew another chance of showing up. And M/G really upstaged them twice now this season. Russian Nationals is going to be really competitive for them.

starla16

Medalist
Making it to the GPF is no guarantee of actually going to Worlds, P/K already know that from last year. But they really blew another chance of showing up. And M/G really upstaged them twice now this season. Russian Nationals is going to be really competitive for them.

P/K have consistency issues, they havent skated a clean FS. They are worst than B/K in lack of consistency.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Well, uncharacteristic mistakes for all pairs, that was a strange event.
One thing is certain, it makes nationals even more interesting.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Once again, I'm griping with the results, but in juniors now. With the program Diana and Ilya put down, they should have won. P/R are incredible when it comes to the pair elements, but their side by side jumps are a mess, and she even fell on a throw. It just does not compute to me. They have differences in PCS and GOE, but it doesn't make sense. I guess the judges are sending a message, which was already clear when P/J got the silver yesterday.

hanca

Record Breaker
Once again, I'm griping with the results, but in juniors now. With the program Diana and Ilya put down, they should have won. P/R are incredible when it comes to the pair elements, but their side by side jumps are a mess, and she even fell on a throw. It just does not compute to me. They have differences in PCS and GOE, but it doesn't make sense. I guess the judges are sending a message, which was already clear when P/J got the silver yesterday.

P/R struggle with jumps, but the rest of their elements have the wow factor, which makes the judges give them high GOE. Yes, in this competition they did have a mistake on a throw jump, but as far as I know, that’s a first mistake on throw jump this season, so it’s not common for them. They were extremely lucky that they were a few points ahead from the SP, which made it up for the easy jumps and for one fall on throw jumps. They were also lucky that the other pairs didn’t go clean either, and the pair who did go clean was too low after the SP to catch up. And it still was pretty close.

I don’t think that M/M should have won. Being clean is not enough. They need to make their elements ‘great’, not just ‘good’ or even even just ‘good enough’. Good enough doesn’t cut it. Every element has to be great. Twist - make it higher. Make sure you get the levels. Throws can always be bigger... Their basic skating (everything between the elements) also need some work, they skate a bit heavy. They need to get lighter on their blades, not to look like if skating is a hard work. More powerful pushes, more efficient... I love the fact that they have the jumps, and that they can skate clean when it matters, but they need to work on every element to increase GOE, and on their basic skating to increase PCS. It will come, I am sure.

madforskating

On the Ice
Well, that was definitely not the GPF result I expected!
Mishina/Galliamov skated well; I don’t love their programs this year but they are starting to grow on me.
I heard Sasha Boikova had an injury so that might explain her mistakes in the free skate. I hope she takes time to heal so she can be at 100% capacity for Worlds. I don’t know how serious it is, but I am hoping she will be okay soon.
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin had a rough free skate, but they have all the potential to deliver at Russian Nationals. Right now, I think the Euros team will be B/K, T/M, and M/G, but I’ll have to wait until Russian Nationals to find out.

readernick

Medalist
I am so sad B/K had a bad free skate. They are favorites of mine. I agree that at this point the 3 teams who seem most likely go go to Europeans are T/M, B/K and M/G. But, we will see.

The JGPF champions are amazing, too. They will be a real threat if they can get their side by sides in order. Their pair elements are beautiful .

LadyB

Record Breaker
The only disappointment was there was no ‘Crack of Doom’ from M&M.

I wonder should we be worried about the no show of S/N in Zagreb? Maybe she still is sick.

I miss the Crack of Doom so much! I love particularly the part when Ilya clowns around in front of the judges table:laugh:
When they performed their current SP at the last Cup of Russia I was hoping it was a one-off...

edit: Diana and Ilya are not in the Gala. I was secretly hoping that wonderful weird programme would make a reappearance. :sad46:

While I’m not really surprised about the no-show of S/N, I don’t think they have any hope of getting anywhere near the national team. The SP at Rostelecom was pretty good, the FS a disaster, which even prompted an apology from Ksenia on IG. I still love her, but I can’t see it happening with a partner who is not in her league.

I agree and I agree with everyone who addressed the consistency issues. We all know what they can achieve when they’re full on, as they have already shown. They are young, they will improve even more. B/K has had a whirlwind start since they became Seniors and wow, what a pleasure to watch them. Same goes for M/G and P/K done better than I’d ever imagined. I don’t let a bad day in the office cloud that view. Work is needed, and it will be done.
That applies even to the best, as T/M have proven. I hope they are dealing with their demons and when they perform their two lovely programmes at full power, they’ll be still number one.
In any case, RusNats will be fabulous!

Talking of Zagreb: Akopova/Shagalov came fourth behind three GP-competing teams! They are predominantly coached by Fedor Klimov, which makes me especially happy. :agree:

Artemisa

Final Flight
well with the results of GPF ... I think Russian nationals will be a open... I'm dreaming about that

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am keeping my fingers crossed that Russian friends will be able to share the competitions on-line. Between the ladies and the pairs, I can’t stand not knowing what happens in Krasnoyarsk!