2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

Artemisa

Final Flight
M/G will be the undoubted #1 Russian team at both their events. There is no way the Russian fed. will let them go unaided politiking wise because they are the reigning Junior world champs (the judges will look highly on that too) and have great potential. That will aid them over the Americans and Italians if they hold it together. B/K will be a far distant afterthought in the minds of the fed. at their events because T/M are at both of them.

I honestly don't expect B/K to make the GPF. They could potentially beat the Canadians but Skate Canada won't let their #1 go down easy to a #2/3 ranked Russian team on home ice and I'm guessing the judges will try their best to keep the balance of power among the two pairs power houses. The fed. also will keep an open mind about S/N in Russia (Morozov has behind the scenes power) so even at a home event B/K are only a soft #2 team and could easily be #3. I just hope they use their events as preparation for nationals, like last year, where it will really count.

I agree with the most of what you said .... I agree without a strong competitors in their GP assigment the russian fed will look after them but not because they are the world junior champion just because in this GP they will be their best hope in this assigment to win ...if they were against T/M the history will be other ...

I'm not sure if they will be in the final ... not because they are against other number one teams of other countries ( they already beat them in worlds by a few points) but because T/M can fail and RF probably will use politics and a little sacrifice of other team ... A 2nd or 3 team in pairs in russia still means power (not like in dance ..) and can beat most number 1 in other countries ... just look at worlds .... In the rostecolum cup .. If Ksenia don't have a second assigment RF won't sacrifice a team in the final for them ... I think if B/K can get the 2 place in Canada ... RF will put them in 2nd in the rostecolum cup and 2 second places can give you a place in the final ... I think RF didn't expect that Z/E would not participate ... so to get at least 2 teams in the final they make a bad move to B/K

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Z/E are definitely a wildcard now, though. They only have consistency and experience on their side, because they are not the most artistic team out there, or the one with the biggest elements, so I wouldn't even know how they stack up now in relation to the other teams. Regarding Ksenia, I have no idea how she's going to compete with Andrei, and for sure, depending on the way things will shape up by then, they might not get favored at home--assuming they'll compete at all.
And we won't know how P/K will do also, because they made it to the GPF last season, after all. We'll definitely have a clearer idea of the standings as the season progresses, but pairs is definitely just as competitive as the ladies is in Russia right now.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Regarding Kostyukovich, while watching many streams at once, I also paid some attention to the live chat on Russian Cup. The audience in the chat sometimes knowing more than we do, suggested Kostyukovich and Ilyan are about to break up since Polina isn't making progress and gets too heavy for her partner to lift and throw. There was hardly any interaction between them in the K&C, so who knows ...?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
But they had a lot of good elements last season? Though, it was obvious she was going to grow eventually. The guy also has to make the effort, tho. Look at how big Mishina is--since we're talking about them a lot lately-- Sasha had to put on some muscle to be able to lift her properly, and he came a long way since they were first partnered together.

On another note, decent competition for M/G at Finlandia, but they need to work on the lifts. They're losing important points in those compared to the most prominent pairs. And I'm not sure about that combo, if it was fully rotated or not. But they've been working on it for a time now.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Regarding Kostyukovich, while watching many streams at once, I also paid some attention to the live chat on Russian Cup. The audience in the chat sometimes knowing more than we do, suggested Kostyukovich and Ilyan are about to break up since Polina isn't making progress and gets too heavy for her partner to lift and throw. There was hardly any interaction between them in the K&C, so who knows ...?

This rumours about their splitting up because of Polina's growing up and shape have been circulating among the Russian fans since junior test skates. Back then those rumours gave the team 1-1.5 months of existence. I prefer to believe their coach Vasiliy Velikov who said that the guys had belated offseason because of Polina's surgery. I have already given the link to his interview in this thread.

Last edited:

skatergurl7

On the Ice

:( they were my favorite junior pair! Polina is so feisty

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
:( they were my favorite junior pair! Polina is so feisty

Such split ups are unavoidable given the ambition level of both partners. Let's hope for the best and for Polina finding motivation to continue. Fighting your own body is very exhausting. Not all is lost yet ...

starla16

Medalist
This rumours about their splitting up because of Polina's growing up and shape have been circulating among the Russian fans since junior test skates. Back then those rumours gave the team 1-1.5 months of existence. I prefer to believe their coach Vasiliy Velikov who said that the guys had belated offseason because of Polina's surgery. I have already given the link to his interview in this thread.

unfortunately height difference plays a big role in pairs partnership, Panfilova / Rylov have very good skating skills and elements but I also dont think they will last. These all reminded me of Mirzoev when he broke up with Mishina because their lifts were becoming difficult to sustain and he was having back issues.

Tarasova / Morozov, Mishina / Galliamov even Boikova / Kozlovski and Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin have the height difference cushion so most of these issues will mostly be about jumps only. Also Fedor / Ksenia were border line height difference and after 2 quadrennial they finally called it quits after Fedors many shoulder injuries.

katymay

Medalist

I suspect the biggest problem is Polina has problems landing the jumps, although today he was the problem I think. It is strange that after Russian test events they were not entered in any JGP-I assumed they would win it this year.

LadyB

Record Breaker
unfortunately height difference plays a big role in pairs partnership, Panfilova / Rylov have very good skating skills and elements but I also dont think they will last. These all reminded me of Mirzoev when he broke up with Mishina because their lifts were becoming difficult to sustain and he was having back issues.

Tarasova / Morozov, Mishina / Galliamov even Boikova / Kozlovski and Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin have the height difference cushion so most of these issues will mostly be about jumps only. Also Fedor / Ksenia were border line height difference and after 2 quadrennial they finally called it quits after Fedors many shoulder injuries.

It was a bit down to Ksenia's prolongued leg injuries as well... if not more so. And of course other personal issues...

Artemisa

Final Flight

I don't think she grows that much and she still tiny ... and they did a good program ... I hope the rumors are wrong ..

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
To me, it felt like Daria/Denis got lowballed in both programs. They had their problems, but the difference in executed elements to the rest was too great for them to be primed for almost slipping out of the podium - were not for the mistakes the americans did, they'd be sitting in fourth. Good competition, though. They are still lagging a bit behind most of the other russian teams, but they have good elements and I'm sure they're going to progress even more in the future.

starla16

Medalist
To me, it felt like Daria/Denis got lowballed in both programs. They had their problems, but the difference in executed elements to the rest was too great for them to be primed for almost slipping out of the podium - were not for the mistakes the americans did, they'd be sitting in fourth. Good competition, though. They are still lagging a bit behind most of the other russian teams, but they have good elements and I'm sure they're going to progress even more in the future.

Their deficiency are mostly with jumps lower GOE and he needs to improve that horrid posture, they are still Juniorish compared to Boikova/Kozlovski or Mishina / Galliamov; its affecting also their PCS

the good thing of the results, with silver they can make the GPF again, If Mishina/Galliamov win in TEB and they are second or D/F get silver but not higher than their SB.

starla16

Medalist
Looks like Tarasova / Morozov have not been propped by judges they are no longer the undisputed russian no1.
because russia has many new young teams now.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Looks like Tarasova / Morozov have not been propped by judges they are no longer the undisputed russian no1.
because russia has many new young teams now.

It's just the Sp... and they did get the best PCs of all ... so i wouldn't say they were "propped"( and they are skating in canada when the home team want's a victory to get to the final) ... they failed on the tech and if you do a 2 jump RF can't do anything about that ... even if I'm a big fan of both team I think T/M if they have skated clean they would have been first...

So let's wait for the FS ... because anything can happen ... and I think boikova and dima needs more time for doing a great FS so even if i hope they get a great score i'm not sure about that ... they need time ..

P.S.: and starla16 the first team after the SP is your B team or 4th place team ... :coffee: