2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, I'm a big B/K fan, but I still think that T/M are Russia's no 1. They just can't afford costly mistakes if B/K are clean. But if clean, they'll win.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Same. They might fight for the best TES, but PCS will leave them far behind the other teams.

Watching their Finlandia performances I think their coaches made a mistake with their choice of SP music. It highlights the problems they have in some of the PCS categories. They aren't very expressive with their faces or bodies. And the inclusion of the "diva wailing" really shows the disconnection they have not just with the music but with each other as well (even with the incorporation of dance holds). It looks like a technical exercise. I think the coaches overreached and made a program that doesn't show them off in the best light. The FS (a carryover from last season) is more successful but even with all their power and "wow" elements it still doesn't quite live up to the music. I will say though he is more expressive then she is although again I don't think enough to match the musical selections.

starla16

Medalist
Same. They might fight for the best TES, but PCS will leave them far behind the other teams.

far behind ? more like max 2 points behind B/K whom are new in pairs too
they can make up for that and B/K are inconsistent.

power skaters will always be ahead because artistry can develop later but its much harder to increase difficulty or learn new jumps.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
far behind ? more like max 2 points behind B/K whom are new in pairs too
they can make up for that and B/K are inconsistent.

power skaters will always be ahead because artistry can develop later but its much harder to increase difficulty or learn new jumps.

If you compare what B/K scored in SC to what M/G scored in Finland, it's a lot more than that. 10 points across the two programs.

starla16

Medalist

starla16

Medalist
P/K improved there season best by 5 points, I didn't see that coming :shocked:
3 points gap is doable for M/G in teh FS where they excel may the best clean freeskater win.

so now B/K, P/K and M/G are in a running to make the GPF
T/M really needs to win CoR to block Mt/M in raking points.

Artemisa

Final Flight
P/K improved there season best by 5 points, I didn't see that coming :shocked:
3 points gap is doable for M/G in teh FS where they excel may the best clean freeskater win.

so now B/K, P/K and M/G are in a running to make the GPF
T/M really needs to win CoR to block Mt/M in raking points.

Finally ... another pair than M/G shocked starla16:coffee:

Both team were great ...and both teams need to improve there expression

starla16

Medalist
M/G need to win gold to secure a GPF while P/K only need silver
because in NHK they will be up against S/H and MT/M, they can also get silver there but gold is almost impossible unless S/H have a super disaster skate.

also T/M need to win gold in CoR to get a ticket

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
T/M need to win in Russia to ensure they get in. There are multiple scenarios depending on the outcomes and scores at other events that will get them there if they’re second in Russia.

starla16

Medalist
T/M need to win in Russia to ensure they get in. There are multiple scenarios depending on the outcomes and scores at other events that will get them there if they’re second in Russia.

yes B+S is never a guarantee
in some scenarios even two S+S isn't even enough

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Lol... we never know

Don't jinx them now, haha :laugh2:

But as I said before, I would definitely not mind to see the three younger teams at the GPF. If M/G manage to catch the gold tomorrow, with P/K right on their heels, and B/K make the competition of their lives in Russia, we could definitely see the three of them competing together in December.

NAOTMAA

Medalist

I think T/M NEED to win Rostelecom not because its the easiest way to get to the GPF but for their personal morale. They let the bad things linger in their heads too long and need to be rid of them as soon as possible. They can't go into the GPF (if they make it) or nationals feeling even worse then the do already.

Everyone has said, from the off season on, that if they made any mistakes B/K would be nipping at their heals ready to take advantage. Before it was just a saying of caution to them but in Canada it became a reality. For the defacto Russian #1 to lose to another Russian team is not good but for it to happen again, even worse. They can't afford to lose to B/K again and a loss to S/N would be just bad as well. It won't change their status as Russian team #1 for the rest of the season but it certainly won't look good internationally or with the federation either.

starla16

Medalist
Polina's center of gravity changed a lot, but it was expected. If she manages to keep the current elements, they can definitely make waves in the coming seasons.

well I wouldn't still be exited with his height, shes still growing at a pace where you know how this will end.
watch out for that pairs golden rule "height difference" "height difference".

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
I think T/M NEED to win Rostelecom not because its the easiest way to get to the GPF but for their personal morale. They let the bad things linger in their heads too long and need to be rid of them as soon as possible. They can't go into the GPF (if they make it) or nationals feeling even worse then the do already.

Everyone has said, from the off season on, that if they made any mistakes B/K would be nipping at their heals ready to take advantage. Before it was just a saying of caution to them but in Canada it became a reality. For the defacto Russian #1 to lose to another Russian team is not good but for it to happen again, even worse. They can't afford to lose to B/K again and a loss to S/N would be just bad as well. It won't change their status as Russian team #1 for the rest of the season but it certainly won't look good internationally or with the federation either.

I definitely agree with you that they need the win as a personal victory. It feels like, watching them, that they somewhere along the way lost the ability to put things behind them. It seemed like between worlds and test skates, they'd turned a corner. They also don't need any more anti-momentum. I just fear they're already past the point of no return on both the mental ability to skate a clean competition and damage to their reputation. If they're not past that point now, I feel like missing the GPF/Euros/Worlds would do it.

It is just so frustrating. They showed up to test skates looking like they might challenge for the world title. Now, we're talking about them not making the GPF/Euros/Worlds.

I did read somewhere that they're going to Moscow early for Rostelecom and will be training at the Inspiration rink, I presume with Mozer. Maybe being home will help.