2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
well... them Russia federation will have a tournment of chess for deciding who goes to euros and stays at home:devil:

Actually, would it be a bad thing to have the three young teams from the GPF go to Euros? T/M already have two titles, and depending on their showing at Nats, I'd have them stay at home and get ready for worlds. I don't know if P/K and M/G could be a factor on the podium at Worlds, with J/C coming back, Worlds being in Canada. T/M could definitely be more competitive with S/H, for example, than those two. Could being the key-word.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Actually, would it be a bad thing to have the three young teams from the GPF go to Euros? T/M already have two titles, and depending on their showing at Nats, I'd have them stay at home and get ready for worlds. I don't know if P/K and M/G could be a factor on the podium at Worlds, with J/C coming back, Worlds being in Canada. T/M could definitely be more competitive with S/H, for example, than those two. Could being the key-word.

If t/m come back strong at nationals, I’d argue after their international outings this fall and not making the gpf, they would need to go to Euros to try to get in a strong international competition before worlds for politics reasons.

Artemisa

Final Flight

The problem is T/M needs a win .. and they can beat J/C if they skate clean.. euros is less tense than worlds ... can bust there confident

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The problem is T/M needs a win .. and they can beat J/C if they skate clean.. euros is less tense than worlds ... can bust there confident

But it will be also a question in what form James/Cipres will be at euros.

VenusHalley

Final Flight

I kinda doubt it. when was a last thing clean T/M happened? They went from good technically but boring to "they have a potential but make lots of stupid mistakes" and their chemistry has been really really off this season.

madforskating

On the Ice
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think T/M are doomed like everyone seems to think. They had one bad event at a high altitude at the beginning of the season and one bad event in Canada. Even Sui/Han were struggling at the GPF and I don’t see people writing them off. Let’s just wait and see.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
GPF in pairs category showed that literally no one is flawless. And that making conclusions from it is very misleading. So I think every of the top pairs is in the game.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GPF in pairs cathegory showed that literally no one is flawless. And that making conclusions from it is very misleading. So I think evary of the top pairs is in the game.

I agree. I think pairs this year, is whoever is clean will win.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree. I think pairs this year, is whoever is clean will win.

Except for Sui and Han as we see they can win with errors. Russia has a lot of very good teams just not excellent. And right now no team is clearly numberr one. With the downfall of T and M who I haven't written off. They still won two GP medals and it is not like the other Russian teams are that artistic or dominating this year they still have a chance.. z and E will be rusty. Admittedly the current world silver and bronze medallists look like they will find it hard to qualify for worlds though T and M probably have a good chance to still go to worlds unless they bomb nats. I am not sure what is going on with them though - chemistry wise.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
T/M looked tense/exhausted in Canada every time I saw them in the hall some of the Russians used for prep, but who wouldn’t, it’s a competition and they were trying to work on their stuff with all the people running around. I dunno, I certainly like them a whole lot.

LRK

Record Breaker
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think T/M are doomed like everyone seems to think. They had one bad event at a high altitude at the beginning of the season and one bad event in Canada. Even Sui/Han were struggling at the GPF and I don’t see people writing them off. Let’s just wait and see.

I don't think T/M are doomed either.

I think they have some issues they need to sort out, but I think they can do it.

Note: I don't know what those issues are - and that I think is the trouble, and why some people are so quick to write them off. It's the unknown factor that leads to such an open field for speculation. If there was something concrete we knew about, I believe more people would trust them to work out whatever is troubling them.

madforskating

On the Ice
Here, unfortunately, a confirmation that Zabiyako and Enbert will not be competing in Russian Nationals.

https://twitter.com/sywtwfs/status/1207002697846669312?s=20

Gorshkov quoted unspecified medical issues as the reason with the partner (assume Enbert, as the word form used was masculine, though feminine form would be a bit uncommon).

The statement from Enbert confirmed it is his health problems in question, not Natalia’s. Whatever it is, he said his heart rate cannot go over 140 beats per minute. I hope he will be okay.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
The statement from Enbert confirmed it is his health problems in question, not Natalia’s. Whatever it is, he said his heart rate cannot go over 140 beats per minute. I hope he will be okay.

This was mentioned during the off season. In fact there was an interview post worlds where I got the impression his pass to compete at worlds from the doctors was borderline and that he was actually barely okay enough to compete. He said the whole week of competition was a struggle to get through physically and emotionally for both of them because of it.

I'm getting the feeling more and more he's reached the point where the risks of any serious training/competing is getting too high and he needs to be more then just conservative. I honestly don't think we will ever see them again in competition. It would be a shame because they looked fantastic most of the last season and looked like they were ready to take the next step professionally but of course health has to come first

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Lovely, just lovely! I am so happy to see TM getting that short so beautifully done, and BK & PK are total joy, and all the juniors coming through so well... just so much fun to watch.

Also, I adored Pavlyuchenko saying in the interview ‘but it’s only half-way through...’ when they asked why they don’t look ecstatic.