Should there be a greater incentive for loop combinations? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should there be a greater incentive for loop combinations?

Arbitrary

Medalist
Loop combinations don’t injure people any more than toe combinations. Right now the new trend is 4T+3A+SEQ. this is more likely to injure people than toe or loop.
It’s not a new element, it has been around since 1980’s.
4T-SEQ-3A never happened in 80s. First 4T-2T combos are from later 90s.

But if you're talking about 3X-3Lo combo, it's also not so old for ladies.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I love a good loop combo, especially Alina's at the Olympics in the FS where she missed it in the first combo and was just a 3Lz and brought it back not long after and onto the beat of the music! A golden masterstroke :D

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Midori was the first to land 2lp3lp in 1983

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?59631-Midori-Ito

So that is 5 years before 1988.

She was still in top form in 1992, so that is nearly 10 years.

Afaik, she only rolled it out when the 2lp was required in combination in the sp, but it never seemed to give her any trouble. She had one of the best 3lps I have ever seen, especially for a lady.

In 6.0 you did not get any real credit for it except in that situation.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm afraid she has no future in FS except the near one. Time is running. And she is not 18 even. Not a fully grown up person by Russian standards. Less to say by European standards where 21 is the age.

The next generation (those coming after Trusova and Kihira) is almost ready to lock horns. Quads will become a necessity and triple axel a mandatory soon.

ISU may raise the age limit and loose in money. And they cannot tolerate even a small decrease of popularity. Too costly.

I thought the isu was going for more artistry yet the jumping beans are taking over as long as they stay on their skates. I think transitions and combinations should be given more credit and higher scores so skaters like Medvedeva Zagitova Konstantinova Gubanova Kostornsia and many others who don't do quads or triple axels can still compete and win.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
4T-SEQ-3A never happened in 80s. First 4T-2T combos are from later 90s.

But if you're talking about 3X-3Lo combo, it's also not so old for ladies.

I was referring to +3Lo combos happening in the 80’s. I was stating that loop combinations aren’t new or dangerous :). Sorry for confusing grammatical structure :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I was referring to +3Lo combos happening in the 80’s. I was stating that loop combinations aren’t new or dangerous :).

I believe that they are more dangerous the more rotation there is in the preceding jump, because the skater needs to stop all torque of the first jump using only the core and arms but without the free leg swinging back to convert rotational momentum into horizontal glide the way regular landings and toe loop combinations can, and a large part of that rotational twisting is absorbed by the landing side hip joint.

So double something-triple loop combinations aren't especially dangerous, but triple-triple loop combinations are more so, triple axel-triple loop even more, and quad-triple loop or even quad double loop so much more dangerous that we really haven't seen them at all.

That's also probably a reason why we often see +3T+3Lo at the end of three-jump combinations, or +2T+2Lo for those doing easier elements, much more often than we see 3Lo immediately on the ends of harder triples let alone quads.

Has anyone even done a quad something+2Lo combination? I can't recall ever seeing one.

No one wants to land a high-revolution jump on one foot without being able to swing the free leg back. Not only more difficult technically, but also much harder on the body, especially the landing hip.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I believe that they are more dangerous the more rotation there is in the preceding jump, because the skater needs to stop all torque of the first jump using only the core and arms but without the free leg swinging back to convert rotational momentum into horizontal glide the way regular landings and toe loop combinations can, and a large part of that rotational twisting is absorbed by the landing side hip joint.

So double something-triple loop combinations aren't especially dangerous, but triple-triple loop combinations are more so, triple axel-triple loop even more, and quad-triple loop or even quad double loop so much more dangerous that we really haven't seen them at all.

That's also probably a reason why we often see +3T+3Lo at the end of three-jump combinations, or +2T+2Lo for those doing easier elements, much more often than we see 3Lo immediately on the ends of harder triples let alone quads.

Has anyone even done a quad something+2Lo combination? I can't recall ever seeing one.

No one wants to land a high-revolution jump on one foot without being able to swing the free leg back. Not only more difficult technically, but also much harder on the body, especially the landing hip.

I know many people who struggle with pulling out the landing and find it much easier landing in rotation position. Also a loop tends to be more pre-rotated so the idea is to flow rather than stop rotation suddenly.