Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest? | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
He's never won Four Continents. How can someone that's not won Figure Skating's Grand Slam ever be considered in the GOAT conversation?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
lmao :laugh2: y'all playing too much :biggrin:

btw, isn't there also some Cup of China and Skate Canada 'curse'? I think he lost CoC a few times and Skate Canada too =)
maybe that curse spilled over to 4cc =)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Psssh, Yuzu has plenty of opportunity to slay at 4CCs in the next handful of seasons. The main reason he has yet to win that particular competition is because in seasons past, he’s been forced to withdraw due to injury. Understandably, healing before worlds is any skater’s ultimate goal if they find themselves in a similar predicament.

Oh. Fair warning: If Y-Daughter sees this thread, expect a heaping garbage bag full of coal on your doorstep this coming Christmas.

:rofl:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yeah he competed at 4CC only 3 times and got 3 silvers. Hopefully the next time he will end that silver curse:)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu, Not The Greatest?

No, нет, и 違う. The greatest. :luv17: :laugh:

4CC is a myth. There is no 4CC silver curse, because 4CC is a figment of our imaginations. Except for the ones that Shoma and Denis won. Those were real. :laugh:
(100% kidding, no disrespect meant to any other 4CC winners!)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Psssh, Yuzu has plenty of opportunity to slay at 4CCs in the next handful of seasons. The main reason he has yet to win that particular competition is because in seasons past, he’s been forced to withdraw due to injury. Understandably, healing before worlds is any skater’s ultimate goal if they find themselves in a similar predicament.

Oh. Fair warning: If Y-Daughter sees this thread, expect a heaping garbage bag full of coal on your doorstep this coming Christmas.

KABOOM!!!!!!! :laugh2:

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
[emoji23]

Why would anybody even try to justify why Yuzuru is actually THE greatest? His achievements speak for him, No need to even discuss such silly matter [emoji846]

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

She could ask for donations, the coal pile would probably swallow the whole house :laugh2:

Seriously {not) let's ask Yuzuru if he wants to swap his second OGM for a 4CC instead and stand well back and get ready to run when we do.... :scard8:

btw, isn't there also some Cup of China and Skate Canada 'curse'?

We are hoping for SC to be broken this year :biggrin: COC, we are all perfectly happy for him to avoid it and stay silver for the rest of eternity. The memories, the memories....

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dick Button has 2 OGM and 5 world gold medals.

Dick Button didn't get his second OGM while seriously injured against probably the toughest men's field in history (one of the things that actually inspires about Yuzu is that, despite a list of illness and injuries that would daunt any athlete and really restricts the number of competitions he can do, he still manages miracles score-wise, technically and artistically every year).

In fact - due to that little thing called world history - I wouldn't be surprised if Dick's WCs were against some of the softest fields ever (that doesn't take away the fact that he did it five times, no, but probably not against a 40s version of Javier or Shoma). We all play the cards we're given - there's also Gillis Grafstrom, not long after WW1 garnering three Olympic and three Worlds. All three of them played their cards brilliantly and all three of them have a claim to "not-at-all-simply the best".

But as I just said over in the other thread on Alina, people may be meaning a greatest or the greatest. For the latter, there isn't, never will be and probably never should be reasonable consensus, just as there's not real criteria on how to weigh each part of their body of work - medals? scores? world records? firsts? influence on future skaters?)

Me, I admit to being hopelessly biased when I choose...

ankifeather

Final Flight
Interesting fact - in the last six years every men and women singles skaters who won 4CC ends up off podium in both the following Olympics and Worlds despite most are podium contenders. This is the infamous 4CC gold curse.

So the question to Hanyu is, does he want to break his own 4CC silver curse, or face the infamous 4CC gold curse head on. Or perhaps 4CC should be the very last gold he obtains so the curse has no opportunity to hit him.

Of course, curses are just nonsense, but when it repeats itself in more than one discipline every year for a long time there has got to be a logical explanation. Perhaps the timing of 4CC is just bad as it's too close to Worlds.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dick Button has 2 OGM and 5 world gold medals.

Fun Fact: In addition to three North American titles, Dick Button was also European Champion in 1948. That was the last year that North Americans were allowed to compete at Euros.

While there are many criteria one could use in measuring the GOAT, Two Time OGMs have to be in the conversation. That would include both Yuzu and Button.

I lean towards Button because he spearheaded the technical leap that led to the exciting men's competitions we see today. He truly changed the sport forever.

And, to be honest, I've never quite been a full bore Yuzu fan. His style just doesn't suit me. Personal preference - no shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.