Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snd

On the Ice
this looks like a troll thread but...

in my mind yuzuru is not the greatest and he didn't deserve that sochi gold. i'm being serious (and i've seen his WR breaking performances live).

andromache

Record Breaker

in my mind yuzuru is not the greatest and he didn't deserve that sochi gold. i'm being serious (and i've seen his WR breaking performances live).

Out of curiosity, who do you think should've won the gold in Sochi? The men's LP was so bad....I've never before seen anyone argue that Hanyu was not the rightful winner.

ankifeather

Final Flight

And who deserved it more than he did in Sochi ? He won Olympics men team events, singles SP and FS, not to say the GPF and Worlds in the same season, so clearly the leading male skater that year.

If we are going to talk about falls in a program, so many male other than Yuzu has won gold medals with more falls in their programs, should their win be undeserved too? Even the legendary Dick Button won his second Olympics gold with a fall , and that was when only doubles existed.

Henni147

Final Flight
Let's put it this way:

If three serious GOAT candidates (Button, Plushy, Yags) all praise you and stan you and become your fanboys, you must be the real deal :laugh:

EDIT: Yuzu even managed that Yags and Plushy root for him without eating each other. If that's not GOAT power... :rofl:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And who deserved it more than he did in Sochi ? He won Olympics men team events, singles SP and FS, not to say the GPF and Worlds in the same season, so clearly the leading male skater that year.

If we are going to talk about falls in a program, so many male other than Yuzu has won gold medals with more falls in their programs, should their win be undeserved too? Even the legendary Dick Button won his second Olympics gold with a fall , and that was when only doubles existed.
Not so. Dick Button. landed the first triple loop at the 1952 Olympics.

He landed the first ever double Axel in the 1948 Olympics, becoming the youngest man ever to win the Olympics. He is still the youngest man to ever win the Olympics.

His first World championships was 1947. He won the FS but was second in compulsory figures. and second overall. That is the only competition he ever lost in his career since he won US Novices in 1944 through his last competition, 1952 Worlds.

Not just a jumper, he was the first man to do the camel spin, and invented the flying camel.

I think he has a pretty good case as the Greatest, certainly the Greatest Competitor. It is not every skater who does a jump that has never been done before to win not just one but two Olympics!

Now if we are talking about Greatest Artist and Innovator, that would be Toller Cranston, who never won either Worlds or Olympics.

Greatest master of Figures would be Gillis Grafström.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think some of these threads are just to egg people on, cause division or cause chaos. MIchelle Kwan never won OGM but she still has an amazing legacy. GS will never have everyone agreeing on who is the Greatest nor who are we to judge I suppose. Hanyu like him or not, indifferent by his results including but not limited to two OGM has to be consider extremely great. Greatest - let's not go there - you cannot compare to historic skaters.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My picks are Dick Button & John Curry but certainly Hanyu is among the very best & the greatest of his era.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko or Nathan stan detected.

Hey, Plushenko himself had unhesitatingly nominated Yuzuru as GOAT on several occasions (and was telling him from the start "beat me!!!") Yuzu of course begs to differ, he's made it clear that in his mind he cedes every time to Plushy.

Let's put it this way:
If three serious GOAT candidates (Button, Plushy, Yags) all praise you and stan you and become your fanboys, you must be the real deal :laugh:

EDIT: Yuzu even managed that Yags and Plushy root for him without eating each other. If that's not GOAT power... :rofl:

Oh yes, we all loved that moment at Rostelecom, Yagudin calling him a God... other folk can have share Greatest-OATs, Yuzu gets God-OAT? :biggrin: (No, I am NOT serious - well, not very - so please don't start an argument on who really deserves that title)

ankifeather

Final Flight
Not so. Dick Button. landed the first triple loop at the 1952 Olympics. He landed the first ever double Axel in the 1948 Olympics.

Thanks for correcting :biggrin:. I knew he was the first to land the double axel and mistakenly presumed it occurred on the second rather than first Olympics.

Interestingly, Hanyu was the first man to land the 4loop in competition, and first for a couple of quad combos. And working hard to land the 4 Axel, so trying to repeat what Mr Button did but with more revolutions.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey, Plushenko himself had unhesitatingly nominated Yuzuru as GOAT on several occasions (and was telling him from the start "beat me!!!") Yuzu of course begs to differ, he's made it clear that in his mind he cedes every time to Plushy.

Hahaha I love this! Yuzu is such a fanboy.

As for me, Yuzu probably is the greatest objectively, but my GOAT-vote always goes to Plushy.

I wonder if Yuzu will ever get that 4CC gold though!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Out of curiosity, who do you think should've won the gold in Sochi? The men's LP was so bad....I've never before seen anyone argue that Hanyu was not the rightful winner.

I’m going to assume that snd was rooting for team Chiddy in Sochi.

Nearly the entire event was gong show, mind you.... :palmf: “Pop-n-Splatz: The feature film none of us wanted to see!”

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't think yuzu is the greatest ... but i am not saying anything new you haven't heard before ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.