🇮🇹 IOC awards the 2026 Winter Olympics to Milan—Cortina d’Ampezzo | Golden Skate

🇮🇹 IOC awards the 2026 Winter Olympics to Milan—Cortina d’Ampezzo

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
🇮🇹 IOC awards the 2026 Winter Olympics to Milan—Cortina d’Ampezzo

Per the CBC, a developing story.

For the second time in 20 years, Winter Olympians are going to northern Italy, after an alliance of two cities there outbid Sweden’s Stockholm-centric pitch, bringing a tumultuous process to an end

Congratulations to Italian figure skating fans; and new motivation for young skaters of that nation.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
So my imaginary agenda for February 2026 is already full: ice dance and pairs events at Milan/Cortina's Olympic Games :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Congratulations, Italy!

Sounds like the IOC had its hands full with the negotiations. :laugh:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I was pulling for Stockholm, but at least as far as figure skating is concerned, Milan held a great post-Olympic Worlds. The crowds should be fun.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Forza Italia!:cheer:

Hopefully Daniel and Matteo will still be skating to charm the home crowds:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a sentimentalist. It's past time the Olympics returned to the site of Dick Button and Tenley Albright's championship.

I wish they'd go really traditionalist, and hold the competition outdoors. LOL.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I was really rooting for Stockholm because I think its a crime that Sweden has never got the chance to hold the winter games! But Milan works for me, direct flights from one of my nearest airports - think perhaps I should begin saving now?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Italy! Feeling surprised though that again Italy got the Olympics, 2006 in Torino and 2026 in Milan...

Zaki

On the Ice
Sì, I'm so incredibly happy for my country to host the 2026 Oltmpic Games! I hope Matteo and Daniel could win a medal there, it would be magical to share a moment like that with the homecrowd!! <3 <3 <3

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The venue will be the Mediolanum Forum again. I guess Worlds 2018 was a good test! Very good venue, very easily accessible from the city center by direct metro, and a large shopping center across the big road. Just remember to bring your own toilet paper!

Sam L

Medalist
Awful. Milan is an ok city to visit but I don’t feel the need to go back, now I’ll have to.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This article talks about Italy and financing the games:

https://www.apnews.com/9c4e1fb8a371491b80f040afa3f95122

I found it interesting that given the IOC is 1) contributing and 2) looking for places that have existing facilities so countries don't need to spend.

I feel sorry that Sweden has never had the Olympics, but still happy for Italy. Spousal unit and I always refer to the Olympics as the "Giochi" as part of our marital meta language, as he lived in Italy when the Olympics were in Rome and the Giochi Olimpici were the talk of the country.

Now it will actually be relevant:laugh:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just wondering what kind of awful times we’ll get with the figure skating. With the NBC demanding prime time viewing in the States... The only way for that to happen is to have the competitions start around, say, 8 pm Eastern.
That’s 2 am in Italy. :eek: