šŸ‡®šŸ‡¹ IOC awards the 2026 Winter Olympics to Milanā€”Cortina dā€™Ampezzo | Page 2 | Golden Skate

šŸ‡®šŸ‡¹ IOC awards the 2026 Winter Olympics to Milanā€”Cortina dā€™Ampezzo

Sam L

Medalist
Just wondering what kind of awful times weā€™ll get with the figure skating. With the NBC demanding prime time viewing in the States... The only way for that to happen is to have the competitions start around, say, 8 pm Eastern.
Thatā€™s 2 am in Italy. :eek:

I will probably still go. Itā€™ll be the first time in Italy (and Milan) for me since 2012. I want to go skating in the Dolomites so might use this opportunity.

deneb

On the Ice
Italy has enough $ to fund hosting the Olympics?

Yeah I wonder how they find the money, 2 games in 20 years, even countries with better economies donā€™t bother.

90% of the infrastructure are already done.

Just wondering what kind of awful times weā€™ll get with the figure skating. With the NBC demanding prime time viewing in the States... The only way for that to happen is to have the competitions start around, say, 8 pm Eastern.

According to candidature file (page 25), figure skating competitions are scheduled in the morning in Italy.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Italy has enough $ to fund hosting the Olympics?

They already opted out from holding another summer games in Rome. I am looking forward to hearing all the whinging about "wasting money that they don't have" on a trivial matter like Olympics ... NOT!! :unsure:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I was hoping for Stockholm but still happy with Milan.

The Italians on this forum no doubt would have been jumping for joy!

pearly

Record Breaker
I was afraid of that. If the competitions are in the ā€œmorningā€, what time do the skaters have to get up?! And the practices and warmings up... Ugh. :-(

In Korea they were getting up around 5 am (early groups) and the competition started at 10. But there's no way NBC can get their prime time with AM competitions in Europe. 8 am in Italy is 2 am EST/11 pm PST. With that (unlikely) scenario, final groups would go around 5 am EST/2 m PST.

10 am start is 4 am in NYC and 1 am in LA. Top groups go around 7 am and 4 am respectively. I don't see how that works out for anyone. But at least in Europe we won't be getting up in the middle of the night to watch.

madraykin

Rinkside
In Korea they were getting up around 5 am (early groups) and the competition started at 10. But there's no way NBC can get their prime time with AM competitions in Europe. 8 am in Italy is 2 am EST/11 pm PST. With that (unlikely) scenario, final groups would go around 5 am EST/2 m PST.

10 am start is 4 am in NYC and 1 am in LA. Top groups go around 7 am and 4 am respectively. I don't see how that works out for anyone. But at least in Europe we won't be getting up in the middle of the night to watch.

My guess would be that if NBC do get involved in fiddling with the scheduling they'd try and get it moved to the evening - that way it's at least during the US daytime and they can do a tape-delayed evening show.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know this is jumping the gun but i wonder who will be the favorites for the 2030 Winter Olympics? I can't see a Asian country hosting another Olympics until at least 2032 or 2034 since we are in the middle of 3 straight Olympics in east Asia.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I know this is jumping the gun but i wonder who will be the favorites for the 2030 Winter Olympics? I can't see a Asian country hosting another Olympics until at least 2032 or 2034 since we are in the middle of 3 straight Olympics in east Asia.

I can see North America trying to nab these ones either theyā€™ll try Calgary or Salt Lake City, despite USA having the 2028 summer games in Los Angeles.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see North America trying to nab these ones either theyā€™ll try Calgary or Salt Lake City, despite USA having the 2028 summer games in Los Angeles.

North America cities need to convince their populations that the Olys wonā€™t be a financial drain. Calgary withdrew its last bid after over 50% of the population voted against it.

Far from ā€œnabbingā€, IMHO the IOC will need to kick in some serious money to convince a North American city to take the winter Olys.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
North America cities need to convince their populations that the Olys wonā€™t be a financial drain. Calgary withdrew its last bid after over 50% of the population voted against it.

Far from ā€œnabbingā€, IMHO the IOC will need to kick in some serious money to convince a North American city to take the winter Olys.

Well if people think about Olympics only through the financial profit/loss sphere, than its better not to try to organize it at all.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

We're in an era where the IOC likes repeats. Salt Lake 2.0 is a real possibility.

Well if people think about Olympics only through the financial profit/loss sphere, than its better not to try to organize it at all.

It can't be helped when so many cities have overspent and done wrong by their residents. The IOC and city dwellers want to see a plan that doesn't leave them dealing with the aftermath.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
It can't be helped when so many cities have overspent and done wrong by their residents. The IOC and city dwellers want to see a plan that doesn't leave them dealing with the aftermath.

Of course that you need to spent your money if you want to organize big events like that. Its not reasonable to think you can make a profit of it. You will certanly get a 'profit' in other areas, as it is promoting and populirazing your country/city/culture, well if you care about that. If you care only about money, then you will never want to do it.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
It's a massive risk overall hosting. My city of Brisbane wants to run for the 2032 Olympics and it has mixed reactions over it.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia

If it's a no from North America, I can't see why a strong Euro bid can't do back to back or back to Asia again.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Easy for one to say that when other civilians are bearing the burden of the costs. Countries aren't a charity for the IOC to plumb.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice

I feel like given the unreasonableness of having athletes compete at 2 am, nbc will not get its wish on that.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I feel like given the unreasonableness of having athletes compete at 2 am, nbc will not get itā€™s wish on that.
Sure hope not! (Never mind the ahletes, how would they deal with the logistics of thousands of spectators in the middle of the night.)
So, morning seems logical, given that FS shares the arena with short track, held in the evenings.
Thereā€™ll probably be some very early morning practices, though...

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
As long as I can easily stream it the event online, the time would not bother me so much. Last year our local network did a complete dog's breakfast on the overall coverage and literally no live figure skating at all! Both men's and ladies I watched all online and tv only showed recaps. Poor effort as figure skating is one of the BIG events at any Winter Olympics!