Cantilevers are awesome! | Golden Skate

Cantilevers are awesome!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Why is such move not a thing in pairs? It looks cool.:cool2:

Because there are barely a dozen of figure skaters worldwide who can do a cantilever at such level of greatness as Shoma and Sasha? :scratch2: :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Because no points:sad21: I would love to see pairs split jumps, but ..... no points:(

Rohene Ward still does an amazing cantilever on Shoma/Sasha level, can you imagine the three of them?:biggrin:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Lubov and Charlie (new team Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau) were working a a double cantilever to potentially put in programs, but his was pretty bad. I think the video was like the 2nd attempt though, so maybe we'll see it in their programs. But most skaters can't do it as well as Sasha and Shoma, like Alexz said.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lubov and Charlie (new team Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau) were working a a double cantilever to potentially put in programs, but his was pretty bad. I think the video was like the 2nd attempt though, so maybe we'll see it in their programs. But most skaters can't do it as well as Sasha and Shoma, like Alexz said.

Don’t forget the amazing cantilever into a death spiral move that Lubov did in several programs while paired with Dylan. That move is magnificent all on its own with Lubov’s extreme flexibility skills, so hopefully if Charlie can’t get a decent cantilever of his own, they can at least resurrect a similar element.

For those of you who may have forgotten: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2baWYdj6rTU&t=1m57s

This is the coolest thread on the Edge right now. Thanks to everyone who contributed information and pictures. :)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
As far as it looks cantilever is done mostly by shorter guys. It's physics! I am not aware of any tall person doing this move. I still remember Jin Boyang trying to do the move after Shoma in an exhibition, and of course he failed. Yes you need great flexibility, but that's not enough.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
As far as it looks cantilever is done mostly by shorter guys. It's physics! I am not aware of any tall person doing this move. I still remember Jin Boyang trying to do the move after Shoma in an exhibition, and of course he failed. Yes you need great flexibility, but that's not enough.

Don't forget Vincent's cantilever https://youtu.be/j1-PVneOYdQ?t=103 Vincent is tall (slightly taller than Boyang) and leggy.:biggrin::luv17:

ETA. Vincent has upgraded his cantilever with NO arm assistance in later versions but, I prefer this one with the arm variation.:love:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rohene Ward. Cantilevers. :yes:

Unfortunately, as natural and beautiful a skater as Rohene was and is, he was never able to master his nerves to show that in competition. In this "audition tape", he shows specific moves. He not only demonstrates his cantilever, but some sort of sideways hydro blade? (I don't even know what to call it, maybe someone else knows) spirals, gorgeous broken leg sit spins. It's a treat. For those who might only know his choreography, it's worth a look:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA27GFWr-3k

And OT, but if you go to tape number 2 in the same series, Rohene demonstrates his clockwise and counterclockwise jumps. Like I said, a natural born skater.

And even then, great hair;)

Last edited:

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Rohene Ward. Cantilevers. :yes:

Unfortunately, as natural and beautiful a skater as Rohene was and is, he was never able to master his nerves to show that in competition. In this "audition tape", he shows specific moves. He not only demonstrates his cantilever, but some sort of sideways hydro blade? (I don't even know what to call it, maybe someone else knows) spirals, gorgeous broken leg sit spins. It's a treat. For those who might only know his choreography, it's worth a look:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA27GFWr-3k

And OT, but if you go to tape number 2 in the same series, Rohene demonstrates his clockwise and counterclockwise jumps. Like I said, a natural born skater.

And even then, great hair;)

Incredibly beautiful! Such lines, such softness and tenderness in every movement!