Jackson elites or premiere fusions? | Golden Skate

Jackson elites or premiere fusions?

Icedancer34

Spectator
I want to switch to jacksons after having a nightmare with edea boots but I have no idea which stiffness I need and I don't trust out local skate shop after they put me in edeas.

I'm 25 and landing axels and occasionally double salchows so I think I'd probably need to buy jackson elites but at the same time I do a lot of ice dance so if I over-booted myself I'd lose my knee bend and it would be an absolute disaster because I have tests coming up.

Please send help because I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm also 112lb so I'm not the biggest skater in the world but I'd defiantly break the boots in quicker than a child.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Based on your weight, which is commensurate to Jackson's ratings scale, you should get the Premiere.

I myself am a complete adult beginner, age 47 but weighing 175. I have spent a looooot of time in the last three months educating myself on boots, with help from my skate tech who is a Jackson rep. I am in Debut Fusions right now, I expect to upgrade to Premieres when I start single jumps (because of my weight).

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
ETA: If possible though, you might want to look into customs. Jackson has two stock dance boots (I'm in one of them), but one is too light and the other too stiff for you.

jf12

Final Flight
I want to switch to jacksons after having a nightmare with edea boots but I have no idea which stiffness I need and I don't trust out local skate shop after they put me in edeas.

I'm 25 and landing axels and occasionally double salchows so I think I'd probably need to buy jackson elites but at the same time I do a lot of ice dance so if I over-booted myself I'd lose my knee bend and it would be an absolute disaster because I have tests coming up.

Please send help because I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm also 112lb so I'm not the biggest skater in the world but I'd defiantly break the boots in quicker than a child.

If you’re doing ice dance I would make sure to get a low cut model. If you’re switching from Edea the normal height will feel too constricting around the ankle.

Sam L

Medalist
You should look into Risport specifically the RF3 pro. It has rating of 60 and is relatively low cut. If you think that supports not enough, Sofia Samodurova who’s doing triples is in them FYI.

I think the Elite at 85 support is going to be too much for you. That’s a lot of boot.

I’m in Rf3 pros and we’re about same level but I don’t do dance.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Your best bet is to find a place that can fit you professionally and take measurements and tracings. Then you'll know if you'll be ok in a Jackson or a Risport or some other brand like Harlick.

You may have to go semi-custom in order to get the lowcut for dance with enough strength for your doubles.

Good luck! :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You should look into Risport specifically the RF3 pro. It has rating of 60 and is relatively low cut. If you think that supports not enough, Sofia Samodurova who’s doing triples is in them FYI.

I think the Elite at 85 support is going to be too much for you. That’s a lot of boot.

I’m in Rf3 pros and we’re about same level but I don’t do dance.

You can’t compare stiffness ratings between manufacturers. There is no industry standard. A 60 in one brand may be just as stiff as 85 in another brand. Or not.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I wear Jackson premieres and am just a bit bigger than you and around the same age. I am working on axel, double sal, and double loop (not quite landing any of them yet) and they definitely feel supportive enough to me. Make sure you go to a good fitter to make sure Jackson is the right fit for you but I am personally really happy with them. Stiffness wise I would recommend them.

Icedancer34

Spectator
Thank you everyone! Risports fit very similar to edea so I'm staying away from them. I have narrow heels so the edeas weren't a great fit to begin with but as the padding has worn down my heels are lifting more and more and it's really starting to affect my skating to the point where I'm scared to jump or twizzle in them.

My dance coach wants me to get dance boots but jacksons don't have an option in the middle. Can boots be custom made to be low cut? Like could you get low cut premieres? (Can you tell I've only had one pair of proper skates)

Thank you all for your help, I think you're probably right about elites being too stiff for me.

Icedancer34

Spectator
Risport and edea are both D shaped with a medium heel heel width, its the heel width that I've been having serious issues with which is why I'm pretty set on jacksons.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Thank you everyone! Risports fit very similar to edea so I'm staying away from them. I have narrow heels so the edeas weren't a great fit to begin with but as the padding has worn down my heels are lifting more and more and it's really starting to affect my skating to the point where I'm scared to jump or twizzle in them.

My dance coach wants me to get dance boots but jacksons don't have an option in the middle. Can boots be custom made to be low cut? Like could you get low cut premieres? (Can you tell I've only had one pair of proper skates)

Thank you all for your help, I think you're probably right about elites being too stiff for me.

I've been communicating a bit with Jackson about customization of their boots. I don't think you could get a custom low cut Premiere. You can get a softened up boot, but it is a full custom option, about $900 from what I gather. There might be a way around depending on how soft you need it. Their Supreme low cut is a bit stiffer than the Elite, but they offer a "rapid custom" option where they can use any of their tongues to make it a little bit softer. You can email and ask, they are very good at responding.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I don't know that rapid custom (which is semi custom, which my boots are) works for OP. Yes you can change the tongue, but the Supreme low cut boot is rated 80 and she needs more like 65.

I second emailing or calling, they are very responsive.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I also want to say, that although the idea of paying full custom prices may be unappealing, in my research it seems that as adults age, needing custom skates are more and more likely. The good news is you get everything you need.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I wear dance boots, Graf Dance, which are very sturdy and very low cut, just as I like them. Before these, I used to wear SP-Teri Super Teri Deluxe for both free and dance at a high level. There is no way I'd want to be doing double jumps in low cut dance boots.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I don't know that rapid custom (which is semi custom, which my boots are) works for OP. Yes you can change the tongue, but the Supreme low cut boot is rated 80 and she needs more like 65.

I second emailing or calling, they are very responsive.

The different tongues are of different thicknesses and materials and are labeled as firm (2000 series), strong (5000 series) and stiff (4000 series) so they might do the trick at least as far as fore/aft stiffness. Any other alteration for stiffness is full custom.

- - - Updated - - -

I wear dance boots, Graf Dance, which are very sturdy and very low cut, just as I like them. Before these, I used to wear SP-Teri Super Teri Deluxe for both free and dance at a high level. There is no way I'd want to be doing double jumps in low cut dance boots.

There are quite a few who use the low cut boots for freestyle skating. Supposed to be better toe point.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Risports are nothing like Edea in fit. Otherwise I wouldn't be wearing Risport boots for years now as a pro. I HATE edea.

- - - Updated - - -

It can be done. Many elite freestyle skaters have lowcut boots and do triples in them. I am one of those, I had them when I competed and now as a pro.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Risports are nothing like Edea in fit. Otherwise I wouldn't be wearing Risport boots for years now as a pro. I HATE edea.

Seconded but in the other direction :p Risports are all wrong for my feet but my Edeas fit me like a glove. They’re not at all comparable, OP.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I have a pair of custom Jackson's at their 85 stiffness. I could do shoot the duck style sit spins the first day I had them. Also, if you get the full custom, you can ask for a lower stiffness. The premiere would probably work out of the box, but you might want to have the heel pinched, which btw, they can do to your EDEAs and save you some money.

ETA: if it's possible, it'd be worth driving farther to see a good fitter and try many other brands.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

- - - Updated - - -

It can be done. Many elite freestyle skaters have lowcut boots and do triples in them. I am one of those, I had them when I competed and now as a pro.

It's official, then - I am a total wuss! <goes to lie down in a darkened room until the feelings of panic subside>

Sibelius

On the Ice
It's official, then - I am a total wuss! <goes to lie down in a darkened room until the feelings of panic subside>

I'm just the skate dad. All of you who get out there and do the work, no matter what skill, level or discipline, are warriors to me. I mean that sincerely.