2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think she pulled out of the GP because her health wasn't good, and if she wants to be competitive for worlds/nationals she needs to take care of herself mentally and physically. I hope we see her at nationals, but health comes first.

Same here. That is sad. I hope whatever ails her she gets strong.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Junior Women Short was 12.5 GB :shocked: , and it probably took me around 25 tries for the download to be successful.

Kaiya Ruiter SP (1080p): https://streamable.com/rb73a

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby has never been a strong early-season skater anyway, so given her current health, it was a wise move to skip the GP event.

However, that foot injury is worrisome, as Nationals is just about a month away. She needs solid practice time to show major improvement over her SC performance.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Post-GPF thoughts:

- Wild pairs event in general, and I'm sure KMT & Michael are disappointed, as they could conceivably have medaled even after the short program mistakes if not for Michael's fluke fall in the free skate. At the very least, they would have been fourth rather than fifth. But other than the fall, the free skate was really good.

- It's an old story with Piper & Paul, but the RD remains a real problem for them. Partly it's a level issue (Piper has only gotten 1 of her 8 keypoint attempts so far this season; Paul is 7 for 8, by comparison), partly also ongoing perceptions of aspects of their component marking. The format of the Grand Prix Final exacerbates the RD weakness since they both skated in the first RD group and as a result of the low score had to skate in the first flight of the FD. That won't be a problem at Four Continents, where they'll be in the same flight as the American top two even if they're third in the RD, but they've really got to get all the levels at Worlds (home scoring will also probably help there, of course).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By "home scoring helping G/P get the levels", do you mean Marie Bowness is going to be the TS in Montreal? :shocked:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
By "home scoring helping G/P get the levels", do you mean Marie Bowness is going to be the TS in Montreal? :shocked:

As opposed to what chuckm, having 6 of 9 judges from European nations, as we saw this weekend? So much for diversity and for having different global perspectives of what Dance should like at the moment. :noshake:

Piper and Paul were the only team of the 6, not to get anything higher than a level 3 from several of the judges from a certain continent.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most panels have a majority of European judges. It stands to reason, since the majority of countries in the ISU are European countries.

Looking at the protocol, the only judges that gave G/P only 3s were POL, GEO and RUS: all Eastern European. But the Western European judges gave higher GOES: FRA gave G/P 3s and 4s, and ITA and ESP gave them several 5s. It all balances out.

BTW, those same Eastern European judges gave low GOEs to both US teams.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Let's be clear here, no other skating discipline had as many judges from one region as did Dance. Not in Mens, Womens or Pairs. Last time I checked, 6 out of the top 10 placement at Worlds '19, were by non European nations. As we know when it comes to Dance, a judges preferred style can/will affect the outcomes.

What about judges from AUS, CHN, ISR, JPN, KOR, or more neutral nations participating as they have in the GP season?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We all have our favorites and opinions about their placements.

I'm afraid you're going to be upset about the judging panel for Ice Dance at Worlds

With the exception of China, Japan, US and Canada, all the other judges are from Europe: FIN FRA GBR LTU POL RUS ESP SUI UKR

The non-Europeans in the top 10 at 2019 Worlds were Japanese (3), American (2) and Korean (1). All the others were Russian or Kazakh. But I don't see what that has to do with the composition of judging panels.

The GP panels were reasonably close in distribution across the disciplines, and reflected the distribution of the competitors.
Ice Dance judges: 6 European, 2 NA, 1 Asian. Competitors: 3 European teams, 3 NA teams
Pairs judges: 4 European, 2 NA, 3 Asian. Competitors: 3 European teams, 2 Asian teams, 1 NA team
Men judges: 5 European, 2 NA, 2 Asian. Competitors: 3 Europeans, 2 Asians, 1 NA
Ladies judges: 5 European, 1 NA, 1 Asian. Competitors: 4 European, 1 Asian, 1 NA

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Let's be clear here, no other skating discipline had as many judges from one region as did Dance. Not in Mens, Womens or Pairs. Last time I checked, 6 out of the top 10 placement at Worlds '19, were by non European nations. As we know when it comes to Dance, a judges preferred style can/will affect the outcomes.
Okay, but we ended up with a 2/3 North American team (and 3/3 North American-coached) podium.

Unrelatedly, Gabrielle has resumed training per her Instagram, after three weeks in a boot due to torn ligaments. Maybe this will be the last thing that goes wrong for her? Please?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That basically means Gabby had only 3 weeks of practice time during the 6 weeks since SC. And now it's 5 weeks til Nationals.