2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Skater Boy;2581154[B said:
I thought Michael Slipchuk was quitting or something from other posts?

If he is, then it's a L-O-N-G good-bye. I cannot believe how some still hold Coach McLeod in such high esteem, after years of lackluster results. I still pray that Nam will someday become a spinner, but when fundamentals are not caught then re-taught early on, it's tough. I hope that Emily sees that she needs to leave the Beach (Vancouver) in order to progress in the sport. The sooner the better I'd say.

Btw, Ravi is just a few hours away by air...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If he is, then it's a L-O-N-G good-bye. I cannot believe how some still hold Coach McLeod in such high esteem, after years of lackluster results. I still pray that Nam will someday become a spinner, but when fundamentals are not caught then taught early on, it's tough. I hope that Emily sees that she needs to leave the Beach (Vancouver) in order to progress in the sport. The sooner the better I'd say.

Btw, Ravi is just a few hours away by air...

Actually under 1.5 hrs!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
sad for Maddie, she should've at least gotten jr worlds. her jumps have great spring and flow, and her artistry is natural and expressive...reminds me of a young Kaetlyn Osmond. also she's been the most consistent in all her international assignments, winning Gold at Bavarian Open and Bronze at Challenge Cup. she may not have the most difficult jumps at this point, but she does the best with what she's got with exceptional quality and consistency and that should count for something.

especially with all the other Canadian ladies being wildly inconsistent, who knows if they'll even make it past the sp at Worlds. might as well send someone with longterm potential, solid fundamental skating skills to build on, and a headstrong competitive spirit. hopefully she'll be able to regroup next year with a 3Lz and more competitive jump content. I can see her and Kaiya Ruiter leading the way to a more hopeful era for Canadian ladies.

Though brief it has to be the highlight of Canadian ladies skating - Kaetlyn and Gabby.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
True but I am saying he has been jumpig the quad toe and sal for a while. One would hope he would have it by now.
He wasn't doing the quad toe for a while due to all his problems. He's got a very solid 4S at this point, and after mooting reintroducing the 4T this season, he put it aside to focus on cleanliness -- with considerable success so far.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I appreciate he has been working on skating clean with mixed success but after working on the quad s and toe for like the last 5 years it shoudl be more consistent one would hope. They all can't be like Jason Brown. I really hope Nam skates well and place sin the top 8. his GP results suggest that isn't impossible though beating Shoma now seems unlikely (and Nathan, Yuzuru). I suppose he could beat the Russians, Korean, Italians, French and Chinese but they all are capable of beating him. I wat to see Nam skate with power, verve, speed and deep edges.

Balloon

On the Ice
It is unfortunate that Madeline was left out, but someone was gonna be. This years ladies ‘juniors and seniors’ shows that in a matter of months things can change. Kaiya is great, but ‘almost’ outta no where she may just have some healthy competition. So in all disciplines we can be supportive to each one along the way, so much young talent, they will all have more then one tough competition to come in their future.
Especially with the young athletes, let’s be supportive. Stephan is going through some growth this season, and I think we are all patiently waiting, supporting him along the way. Junior worlds coming close, let’s watch the young athletes continue their journey and hope great coaching is given to all of them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So far, there hasn't been much glory for Emily Bausback. She won the National Championship but it was clouded by the change in TES requirements for Worlds (she no longer had the SP TES). So on to 4CC where there was far less glory as she couldn't achieve the minimum SP TES there---and finished last of the three Canadian ladies in the FS. Skate Canada gave her one more shot at the SP minimum at Challenge Cup, and Emily finally got her SP minimum. But she was outskated by Schizas in the SP and Emily's FS was a disaster. Schizas won a bronze medal and a sobbing Emily finished out of the top 10.

It's been a disappointing season thus far: getting only one JGP event even though she placed 6th, finishing behind Schumacher at the Warsaw Cup, winning Nationals, but skating poorly at 4CC and Challenge Cup. Even though she did get assigned to Worlds, many dispute her selection based on deteriorating performances since her Nationals win.

She has some upside in that she has challenging programs---but she has so far been unable to skate a clean FS, so perhaps the FS is too challenging for her. What is really lacking is her performance level: she gets consistently low PCS because it seems she doesn't relate to her music but focuses entirely on the technical. That has been the case for her since she first appeared on the scene, with no discernible improvement over the last two seasons. If her coach is also her choreographer, the coach has to take much of the blame for Emily's subpar performance qualities.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaiya is great, but ‘almost’ outta no where she may just have some healthy competition..
Kaiya wasn't out of nowhere, though. She was novice champion last year, and those paying close attention to the lower age brackets (obviously including the fed) had singled her out for a while. That's why she had two JGP assignments right out of the gate.

I appreciate he has been working on skating clean with mixed success but after working on the quad s and toe for like the last 5 years it shoudl be more consistent one would hope.
I don't understand where you're getting this "five years" from. Nam spent much of the last five years in a downward spiral due to physical growth, accompanying mental discouragement, and multiple coaching changes. Only in the last maybe two seasons have things really started to turn around.

Roo87

Medalist
On a brighter note, Ravi has some new clips of Aurora landing beautiful jumps on his Instagram today! :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaiya is great, but ‘almost’ outta no where she may just have some healthy competition.

Kaiya wasn't out of nowhere, though. She was novice champion last year, and those paying close attention to the lower age brackets (obviously including the fed) had singled her out for a while. That's why she had two JGP assignments right out of the gate.

I think it's Madeline (the healthy competition) who is being referred to as "almost out of nowhere".

Balloon

On the Ice
Yes sorry, I only meant Ladies Senior Nationals came outta now where, with junior eligible ladies.
Or should I of said not what we expected, and now Kaiya may just have some more competition going into next season. I enjoyed watching Emily and Madeline competing the past couple of weeks, it was unexpected. I hope to see more next season, all the pressure may not just be put on Kaiya.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily was crying at Challenge Cup in the KnC after an abysmal FS which scored 93.63, hardly a personal best:
3z+t, 2a+3t<<↓, 3f, 3lo, 3s, 3z<↓, 2a

Her PCS score for that FS was 50.24: 6.70, 6.00 6.15 6.35 6.20

Her 4CC FS (98.13)
3z+2t+2t, 2a+3t<, 3f!, 3lo↓, 1s, 3z, 2a
PCS 49.00: 6.42 5.79 6.13 6.25 6.14

Her Nationals FS (116.64)
3z+2t+2t, 2a+3t, 1f, 3lo, 3s+3t<, 3z, 2a

Her Warsaw Cup FS (117.19)
3z+2t+2t, 2a+3t<, 3f, 3lo, 3s+3t<, 3z, 2a

PCS 54.00 6.90 6.40 6.95 6.75 6.75

As you can see, her 3/3s get URs

Her PCS continue to lag in the 6s even when she skated near-clean at Warsaw Cup.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well...THAT was fun! :popcorn: Hopefully some went back to their 'bubble', tea that is and even better than kool-aid.

Good luck JML and her fan. Speaking of supportive parents, perhaps we should ask Mira Leung and her mom about their Coach McLeod experience. When a lack of basic skills is accepted and never corrected, how does one expect to advance in this sport?

Emily, Edmonton or bust I'd say.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I don't understand where you're getting this "five years" from. Nam spent much of the last five years in a downward spiral due to physical growth, accompanying mental discouragement, and multiple coaching changes. Only in the last maybe two seasons have things really started to turn around.

I give up. Everyone i going ot read into my post or any post what they want. The skater has been workigna nd doing these jumps for the last five or so years. One woud hope it would be more perfected by now.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I give up. Everyone i going ot read into my post or any post what they want. The skater has been workigna nd doing these jumps for the last five or so years. One woud hope it would be more perfected by now.
But as I said, several of those years were well-known to be very bad years for him. It's kind of pointless to ignore that when discussing his trajectory and current status.

Like, it'd be silly to talk about Osmond's career and act like the disastrous 2014 injury and its aftermath wasn't a thing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

This is so frustrating. Yes, he has been on a downward spiral but he had or was working on these two jumps for like forever. Usually after even landing them some times one would expect or rather hope they would be secure by now or more secure. I totally agree he has struggled but that doesn't mean he shouldhave had them by now.. He had landed them before but I agree due to growth or whatever he has not secured them still - well teh salchowislooking good.REgardless onewould have hoped by now a former world junior champion would have risen - technically andkskatign skills While therr ehas been someimprovement tat is oneof his weakensses. skating skills still. I really do hope though he has a breakthrough.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^
nam's 4toe was previous his growth ... even the 3a and the 3lutz had to be relearned... look at GOGO... he is not jumping quads this year though he had them all before. Nam went through something quite common for guys who have quads way before they grow... and on top of that, Nam is almost 6 foot tall... which in itself is a challenge. Roman has struggled the same way.... why pick on guys who are dealing with growing up body changes. On the contrary, we should admire them for having the patience to dedicate themselves to their sport, even when they know their body had "given up on them by growing" ... Nam4s and 3a are very very solid now. He sometimes flirts with the 4toe and 4 flip... but he and his coaches KNOW what is important. There is no point developing an ankle or a knee issue by repeating quads... staying healthy is much better....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Regardless of anyone's positon abotu the quad toe with Nam the real issue or point is he needs to be in the top ten. A lot is riding on it. In particular who knows what role two spots will mean to Keegan who may be contemplating hanging up the skates. With Gogo movingup and apparently dealing witht he growth issues so far better than Nam