2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Elderly people are very vulnerable, not only for Covid 19 but also other viruses like influenza or influenza like. RIP all victims of this virus! Awful times! I can't imagine how can skaters or other sports keep practicing at home...

macy

Record Breaker
Viewing the Worlds through another lens. A brave and honest perspective by Kaetlyn.

https://www.whatsupkoko.com/post/my-world-championship-truth

wow, this is very eye opening, and deep. you would never know she was experiencing all that watching the videos.

the last part i have to admit, is worrisome to me...is she hinting at a depression she hasn't been able to overcome?

I won. It was official. I looked around and everyone. They were clapping. Jumping up and down. Crying. Laughing.

I couldn't hear anything.

It was absolutely silent.

And that is the moment I remember the most. The complete silence.

It has been quiet like that ever since...

I've been fighting every day to hear the noise again.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who's Koko? Is that Kaetlyn's Nickname?:love:
My understanding is that the other national team skaters started calling her "KO" since by the time they emerged there was already a Kaitlyn [Weaver] and they needed a way to differentiate between them in conversation, and that gradually morphed into "Koko".

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No wonder she retired shortly after Worlds '18---it doesn't seem as if she enjoyed competitive skating.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Say what? She enjoyed it up until her injury imo, and had glorious moments afterwards. After finishing 3rd at Nationals in 2016 and perhaps a lack of confidence after injuries, Kaetlyn decided that if she was to do anything in this sport, now was the time. I think an Olympic year is taxing for everyone, not just KO. I am sure looking back, leaving a sport as a World Champion, 3 time Olympic Games Medalist, and having never missed a podium in a single competition her last year, will always be her legacy no mater how some here insisted, this would never happen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
O4G : i totally agree : KO said many times how much she loved competition. But then, I can imagine how doing TEAM event and SINGLES at Olympics + worlds in just a few weeks ( I think she said she didn't have any time to go home after Korea) was difficult on her... add to this all the drama that year with Zagitova vs Medvedva, backloading, tutus and what not.... etc

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
She has also said how much she liked to perform (and still performs - in normalised time). This blog is about one specific competition at the end of her most successful year. To me it doesn't read as if she didn't like to compete in general, but that this one competition was really hard and that she wasn't all there. I wasn't surprised she retired either, but not because she never had enjoyed competing. Just that this year had been all too much, albeit with a lot of success. And this blog is very insightful, deep and honest about how she felt at the time, and still does. Admirable.

rain

Record Breaker
She has also said how much she liked to perform (and still performs - in normalised time). This blog is about one specific competition at the end of her most successful year. To me it doesn't read as if she didn't like to compete in general, but that this one competition was really hard and that she wasn't all there. I wasn't surprised she retired either, but not because she never had enjoyed competing. Just that this year had been all too much, albeit with a lot of success. And this blog is very insightful, deep and honest about how she felt at the time, and still does. Admirable.

And she's hardly the first athlete to have talked openly about the World Championships after an Olympics being a rather hellish event, whether or not you do well. There's a reason so many athletes skip it.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yup, she hated competitive skating from the get go. ;) Can we take a sec. and reflect on KO's rise from her first International skating result, as it showed that with inner joy, a competitive spirit, a natural ability, great coaching/choreography and belief in self, comes possibilities. Most importantly that "This Girl" was special and could be the best. Some thought we were naive but have since been blinded by the bling.

Final Standings 2012 Junior Worlds:

1 Julia LIPNITSKAIA RUS 187.05
2 Gracie GOLD USA 171.85
3 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 168.45
4 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN 157.78
5 Zijun LI CHN 157.31
6 Polina SHELEPEN RUS 156.02
7 Christina GAO USA 151.09
8 Hae-Jin KIM KOR 149.71
9 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 147.88
10 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN 146.25

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Yup, she hated competitive skating from the get go. ;) Can we take a sec. and reflect on KO's rise from her first International skating result, as it showed that with inner joy, a competitive spirit, a natural ability, great coaching/choreography and belief in self, comes possibilities. Most importantly that "This Girl" was special and could be the best. Some thought we were naive but have since been blinded by the bling.

Final Standings 2012 Junior Worlds:

1 Julia LIPNITSKAIA RUS 187.05
2 Gracie GOLD USA 171.85
3 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 168.45
4 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN 157.78
5 Zijun LI CHN 157.31
6 Polina SHELEPEN RUS 156.02
7 Christina GAO USA 151.09
8 Hae-Jin KIM KOR 149.71
9 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 147.88
10 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN 146.25

To see SAtoko as a competitor in the jr world championships, and to think that she was of the same era of Yulia and Adelina....wow. It has been a long time, but at the same time not that long. If Yulia and Adelina came back now it wouldn't even be a ridiculously old for a female skater. Well, alas it wasn't to be. They were such beautiful girls, beautiful skaters.

And yes, who would've thought that girl who was 10th at jr worlds would go on to become 3rd at the olympics and world champion!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Viewing the Worlds through another lens. A brave and honest perspective by Kaetlyn.

https://www.whatsupkoko.com/post/my-world-championship-truth

Wow. I had no idea how taxing this was on her physically and mentally. Even after she won you wouldn’t know the inner turmoil because of her sunny disposition. It really goes to show how tough and professional she is (bearing in mind she certainly wasn’t the only skater dealing with similar physical and mental exhaustion).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so after the brasseur-bardei split... charlie retires.... what is next in Canadian pairs?