2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Per the ISU today, next season's JGP circuit will include a stop in Richmond (the opening event, in fact). In general I think that there should always be a JGP in North America, rotating between Canada and the US (unless they decide to do another event in Mexico on occasion as well).

JGP Richmond was the first FS competition I ever attended, and where I started fawning on Tomoki Hiwatashi and Yuma Kagiyama :D I'm glad the JGP is returning, and I'll definitely be watching live again! Very excited.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
TGIF. Canadians once again exceeding expectations with Keegan and Laurence/Nikolaj placing 3rd in their respective segments, in deep fields no less. And Veronik also held her own by skating a clean program and getting an SB.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Per the ISU today, next season's JGP circuit will include a stop in Richmond (the opening event, in fact). In general I think that there should always be a JGP in North America, rotating between Canada and the US (unless they decide to do another event in Mexico on occasion as well).

Awesome also because it means 3 spots per discipline for Canada. Hope Makita/Gunara and D'Alessandro/Waddell can both make a second appearance there :cool:.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nik and Lolo win their first ever GP medal!!!! YAY for the bronze ! I thought they were stellar both evenings. I love their ease and power and their connection to each other, to the public and to the music. I have been following them for a long time : they are really growing the last few months.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate America, because of its proximity to Skate Canada, often doesn't have an especially strong Canadian contingent, but I think this was a pretty good event across the board.

Laurence and Nikolaj took the only medal, as they were projected to. This was the first time they've gone into a Grand Prix with the expectation of medaling, and though there were some minor hiccups compared to Nebelhorn, they pulled it off well.

Keegan unfortunately could not follow up his great short program, but that's entirely understandable, and frankly that was a better free than some of the ones he did last season. He's in good shape.

Also glad that Veronik had two good skates (and placed tenth, which seems to be her magic ordinal at Grand Prix events).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan’s gala made me cry, again:sad4:

He was so brave to even compete at SA:clap:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Keegan’s gala made me cry, again:sad4:

He was so brave to even compete at SA:clap:

Few words to add to el henry's post, just that, I have always admired this young man's humanity and his fearlessness to show emotion. Keegan again exposes his heart for all of us to share, esp. those who have loved, then lost a loved one too soon.

What an amazing young man. Courage Keegan! :clap::clap::clap:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
At the Halloween Cup, in Junior Ladies:

Emma BULAWKA is in 7th place after the SP with 3t+2t, 3lo<<↓, 2a and 43.79 (but only 2.17 out of 3rd place).
Emily MILLARD is in 11th place with 3z<↓-nc, 3lo, 2a< and 40.83.

Just watched the FS. Does anybody know what the issue was during Emily's routine?

She had a fall on her first element and got up and carried on for a bit, but then all of a sudden she went over to the officials and started talking to them for a long time. The music was still playing during their conversation, but was eventually stopped. I assumed she must have hurt herself in the fall, but then she started going back and forth between the officials on one side of the rink and her coach on the opposite side. And after umpteen journeys, she resumed the routine. So, I don't think it was an injury.

I have no idea what was going on. So, does anybody here know?

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just watched the FS. Does anybody know what the issue was during Emily's routine?

She had a fall on her first element and got up and carried on for a bit, but then all of a sudden she went over to the officials and started talking to them for a long time. The music was still playing during their conversation, but was eventually stopped. I assumed she must have hurt herself in the fall, but then she started going back and forth between the officials on one side of the rink and her coach on the opposite side. And after umpteen journeys, she resumed the routine. So, I don't think it was an injury.

I have no idea what was going on. So, does anybody here know?

CaroLiza_fan

Nope but I think it wasn't until the end double axel combo that she actually cleanly landed anything. Kind of a nightmare. I think it was more of a bad trick than a treat.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how to interpret how the Danadians are being taken in ice dance? I know there has been a lot of buzz but my main wondering or concern is maybe they are not being considered really as an up and coming threat. I only base that on both of the leading Spanish teams and their scores being so close or almost tied with the Danadians. I personally would have the Danadians further ahead but that is not the case at least from the scores at Skate America and Minsk. I am not evne sure who is the top Spanish couple?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am not evne sure who is the top Spanish couple?
That's the million dollar question, is it not?

I'm not sure I see your concern. Laurence & Nikolaj beat Olivia & Adrian by 6.52 points at Skate America, which is quite a lot in ice dance, and that's despite their score not being as high as it could have been due to a couple of lost levels. They're capable of going over 200 points now, which is a key threshold. Theirs has been the most dramatic upward trajectory of the season so far.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know why the archived footage of yesterday's SCI practices are gone? :scratch2: It's impossible for me to watch all of the videos live, so I was looking forward to catching up on them later, only to discover they have all disappeared.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, Nam's silver medal was the most unexpected moment of the competition for me. A real achievement for him, especially since he had to skate after Hanyu, but he actually managed to make use of all the positive feelings in the arena.

KMT and Michael also take silver. They were obviously disappointed with the free skate, but while the single toe mistake was annoying, the program on the whole was pretty good, and they definitely deserved second.

Nic's triple Axels are definitely looking better than they have in a long time, even if there's still a lot of work to be done.

Liubov successfully rotated and landed a triple Salchow in the pairs free, huge progress. This team is going places, it's clear to me.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm so happy that Nam won silver, the second GP medal of his career, plus he achieved Personal Bests in the LP and the total score!!! :hap57: :dance3: :dance2:

sweetener

Rinkside
Nam's fantastic free skate following Yuzuru was the highlight of today for me! Also super exciting watching MT/M and P/G receive medals today :))