2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Get well soon so you can enjoy Roman’s skate! Will be seeing it in person.

Thanks for the banner, it has returned to me after making it around the globe. :ghug:

I went to watch the Junior Dance and Men already. Make sure you wear warm shoes and pants if you sit close to the ice, it's freezing from the ground up.

The Behiels are a pleasant surprise for me. They had the FD of the night, best program of Rain In Your Black Eyes! Their edges are so smooth that they skate in such unity, no friction, the whole program flows and draws you in from beginning to end.

I was also shocked by the drastic improvement of Wesley Chiu. He only could land a shaky 2A several months ago, now landing the only 3A's in the competition. He's very light across the ice and into the air. The only thing I am worried about is our junior men's growth spur:shock2: The edge quality of the final group is great eye candy for me, noting that I tend to glare at the blades most of the time when I watch live.

emdee

Final Flight
Thanks for the banner, it has returned to me after making it around the globe. :ghug:

I went to watch the Junior Dance and Men already. Make sure you wear warm shoes and pants if you sit close to the ice, it's freezing from the ground up.

The Behiels are a pleasant surprise for me. They had the FD of the night, best program of Rain In Your Black Eyes! Their edges are so smooth that they skate in such unity, no friction, the whole program flows and draws you in from beginning to end.

I was also shocked by the drastic improvement of Wesley Chiu. He only could land a shaky 2A several months ago, now landing the only 3A's in the competition. He's very light across the ice and into the air. The only thing I am worried about is our junior men's growth spur:shock2: The edge quality of the final group is great eye candy for me, noting that I tend to glare at the blades most of the time when I watch live.

Wearing runners and socks. Will come with a small blanket too. Sitting in second row. Today should be warmer with more people.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
So piper and paul had an unfortunate mishap in the opening minutes of their rhythm dance - but they regained their composure and skated well, with some nationals-flation taking them six points ahead of their seasons best. The slow-mo replay is the best bit, it looks horrendous, but also so hilarious at the same time!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi guys, are there archived streams somewhere for the short programs for the full events? Ty!

Roo87

Medalist
Wow, really impressed with all disciplines today. No event was a disaster, just some minor quirks in some (looking at you p2) lol.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, really impressed with all disciplines today. No event was a disaster, just some minor quirks in some (looking at you p2) lol.
Despite Alicia's excellent (and undermarked) short, I would have to say the ladies' segment was kind of depressing.

But I was really impressed with the pairs, especially.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
Despite Alicia's excellent (and undermarked) short, I would have to say the ladies' segment was kind of depressing.

NGL, I thought Alicia was way underscored (as was Emily B.) and Gabby way overscored. But for tomorrow I'd just like everyone to skate clean.

The pairs event was fabulous; I wish we had a bit more depth, but it's great having so many promising teams. I really like M/F and B/B.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Since I can only manipulate the archived livestreams, here's the best Senior Men SP performance from the first two groups:

Joseph Phan SP (1080p): https://streamable.com/oikne

And just for fun, here's a montage of the men on the National Team (plus Joseph) which was shown before the start of the event: https://streamable.com/uq905

An acquaintance was kind of enough to provide me with a video of Roman Sadovsky's SP, and it's always useful to have non-YouTube links (720p, 59 fps): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rb0dg

But I don't have anything else from TSN's broadcast.

katymay

Medalist

The state of ladies figure skating in Canada is pretty depressing. Also the fact that there do not seem to be any rising stars in Juniors or Novice. I think Kaiya is cute as a button, but how does she compare to the best 11-13 year olds in the US, Korea, Japan and Russia? Right now, I don't think she does. Nor even up and coming Novice ladies from small fed Eastern European countries. Watching all three groups, (from Canada) I felt like I was watching skaters from the 1980's. I think Canada needs to take a long and hard look at athlete development (as far as the women are concerned) and find some solutions. Otherwise, it is going to be a lean decade.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Alicia Pineault!!!!!! Love her! Wonderful flexibility in the beilmann, engaging performance. (Who else loves that costume??) I hope she does well in the long but I know she isn’t consistent.

Roo87

Medalist

I never had high expectations for the ladies, so was actually surprised with the results.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Halfway though Canadian nationals, and my overall impression is... blah.

Maybe it was my mood, maybe it was difficult to watch the entire competition with the switching back and forth with the feeds.

But, really, I just didn't see anything to get excited about. The skaters I expected to do well did, but nobody dazzled.

No one new really stepped up, and the door was wide open. Maybe the Long/Free programs will be better.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The state of ladies figure skating in Canada is pretty depressing. Also the fact that there do not seem to be any rising stars in Juniors or Novice. I think Kaiya is cute as a button, but how does she compare to the best 11-13 year olds in the US, Korea, Japan and Russia? Right now, I don't think she does. Nor even up and coming Novice ladies from small fed Eastern European countries.
As far as it goes, Canadian ladies are never stars in junior, so if she's not on the bleeding edge (which I would agree she isn't), that doesn't particularly bother me. Kaiya at 13 is noticeably better than Kaetlyn or Gabrielle were at 13, for comparison. I don't know that she's ever going to be a World medalist like they grew up to be, but she seems on track to be somebody who can put up respectable numbers internationally with some consistency.

Do you think that if Gabby isn't top 2, they'll leave her off the world team?
I think last season established that they'll always send Gabrielle if she's deemed to be in shape to go.

Of course, it also depends who places ahead of her, because some (like Madeline) don't have senior minimums (indeed, Madeline has hardly any international experience even as a junior).

nadster

Final Flight
The state of ladies figure skating in Canada is pretty depressing. Also the fact that there do not seem to be any rising stars in Juniors or Novice. I think Kaiya is cute as a button, but how does she compare to the best 11-13 year olds in the US, Korea, Japan and Russia? Right now, I don't think she does. Nor even up and coming Novice ladies from small fed Eastern European countries. Watching all three groups, (from Canada) I felt like I was watching skaters from the 1980's. I think Canada needs to take a long and hard look at athlete development (as far as the women are concerned) and find some solutions. Otherwise, it is going to be a lean decade.

I think the novice level has made huge strides forward this year ( obviously not up to the big 4 ladies countries yet but still huge strides) .There was also huge changes in the bonus system this year that forced the novices to go beyond triple toes and salchows.

Except for Kaiya , the current group of seniors and juniors are a lost cause.

Any changes that SC makes will take years to bear the fruit. I believe SC is making the changes but it will take time for the changes to show.