2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Boyang (I guess he could self destruct)
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Jin has already had two events, and with 1+6 he's out of the Final.

Hanyu and Chen are in. Then there are three guys at Rostelecom with Finals chances (Nam, Aliev and Samarin) plus two (in addition to Hanyu) at NHK (Brown and Aymoz).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Realistically, Rostelecom is in Russia. It looks to me as if they want an all-Russian podium and that is going to make things tough for Nam.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
True that Rostelecom is always tough for any non Russian skater, but we have had some successes previously with Rochette, Chan, WeaPo and Chartrand as a few examples.

Hopefully Nan and G&P, can add to those that came before them.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Realistically, Rostelecom is in Russia. It looks to me as if they want an all-Russian podium and that is going to make things tough for Nam.
Men's skating usually comes down to what jumps you land, in the end, even with home field advantages. Ignatov, most obviously, did not receive any markedly unusual scores compared to Nam; he's (very marginally) ahead because he had two quads and Nam only had one, and lost the PCS by almost the same margin that he won the TES. Samarin's PCS is definitely silly, in my opinion, but he gets that everywhere.

By the same token, though, we saw at Nebelhorn that Ignatov can be pretty good at landing those jumps. Nam has a narrow base value advantage, I believe, but he doesn't tend to get huge GOEs. Though, again, men's skating, in all likelihood at least one of them will not skate especially well.

Depending on what happens with Shoma, in particular, a viable option for Nam might be to finish fourth, which would give him 2+4. As long as Aymoz didn't win silver (or gold, but, c'mon, Hanyu is getting that) at NHK the following week he would make it in due to having a silver medal in any tiebreakers with people with multiple bronze medals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Piper & Paul take their expected silver medal, and, notably, qualify to the Grand Prix Final in third position, as their combined score is 1.03 points higher than Hubbell/Donohue's (may not sound like much, but it's especially notable since their RD scores were lower than Hubbell/Donohue's in both events).

Meanwhile, Justine & Mark won bronze at the Warsaw Cup. Their free skate is available here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, Nam didn't quite deliver the jump content, doubling the second 4s and truncating the 3-jump combo. He finished 5th, behind Shoma. 20 points won't get him into the final (Jin also has 20 points but with a gold medal).

As I figured, the men's podium was a Russian sweep. And Pairs will be a Russian sweep, too.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, Nam didn't quite deliver the jump content, doubling the second 4s and truncating the 3-jump combo. He finished 5th, behind Shoma. 20 points won't get him into the final (Jin also has 20 points but with a gold medal).

As I figured, the men's podium was a Russian sweep. And Pairs will be a Russian sweep, too.

Yeah even if you score some of those components appropriately, it would have been still almost impossible for Nam to medal with those mistakes.

While if you ask me Gilles and Poirier could have been ahead of Sinitsyna / Katsalapov: individually i think the russians are better skaters but the packaging from the canadians is much more interesting and sophisticated.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Joseph finished 5th over-all at the Warsaw Cup, and he now has the senior TES LP minimum for 4CC, but not for Worlds. Oh well, with only 1 spot for the latter, it's highly unlikely he'll become the national champion in January. If he finishes in the Top 3 at the Canadian Championships (or 4th if Stephen is on the podium), then he can look forward to competing at 4CC.

This is the first time we've seen the senior-level version of his "Emperor Concerto" free skate (I've cut this video from the archived livestream, so it's of better quality than the screen recording on YouTube): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o3e18

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had to upload these on Streamable because Dailymotion hates the free skate songs that our man and ice dancers perform to:

Nam Nguyen LP (No Commentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/p5tjj

Lajoie & Lagha FD (No Commentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/78lvu

Gilles & Poirier FD (No Commentary 1080p): https://streamable.com/8lsp5

A big kudos to Piper & Paul for winning the silver medal and qualifying for the Grand Prix Final!!! :yes2: :hap85: :party:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A big kudos to Piper & Paul for winning the silver medal and qualifying for the Grand Prix Final for the first time in their career!!!
Heh, everyone forgets that they made the Final in 2014.

Which is perhaps not surprising, since that's by far the biggest gap between Finals appearances for any dance team in history.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Heh, everyone forgets that they made the Final in 2014.

Which is perhaps not surprising, since that's by far the biggest gap between Finals appearances for any dance team in history.

D'oh! :hslap: It has been a long time. You can blame my anemia for my brain fart.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Piper & Paul take their expected silver medal, and, notably, qualify to the Grand Prix Final in third position, as their combined score is 1.03 points higher than Hubbell/Donohue's (may not sound like much, but it's especially notable since their RD scores were lower than Hubbell/Donohue's in both events).

I'm SO happy for Piper and Paul - their reaction at winning gold at Skate Canada was so sweet, and now they're off to the Final! :luv17: Interesting that their total score is higher than Hubbell/Donohue... I'm not holding my breath that they'll be able to medal at the Final, but it's still very exciting that they've made it this far this season. They've definitely been underrated in the past.

xox

On the Ice
Could not be more thrilled for Piper and Paul!! They have worked so hard, persisted,grown, faced challenges in a strong ice dance country, perservered with their coach,did not country hop. They are Canadian gold!!!

rain

Record Breaker
While if you ask me Gilles and Poirier could have been ahead of Sinitsyna / Katsalapov: individually i think the russians are better skaters but the packaging from the canadians is much more interesting and sophisticated.

I also thought they should have been first, but there was just no way G/P were going to beat the Russian world silver medallists in Russia. While I think the Russians may have an advantage in some areas in terms of skating skills, I would argue G/P are superior in others, over and above the packaging and sophistication of their material this season. In particular the free dance. S/K's is just such a snooze.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Have any of you guys watched Dylan and Asher's CBC show on YouTube? I watched the one for rostelecom cup and it was kind of more controversial then I expected