2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope they send Madeleine to Worlds. She has great potential, but she needs to be given competitions to show it.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Looking at judges scores and Judge Pia Alhonen (no. 1) certainly held back in PCS for Madeline versus other judges, perhaps waiting for the Finnish skater who was in 4th after the sp but ended up with the 13th best fs. Still, Alhonen awarded higher PCS for the Finn than Madeline...

Hope we don't see ya in Montreal, Pia.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nothing for Alison?
There's only two spots available, so one of Madeline, Emily and Alison is getting nothing.

I'm not really clear how Skate Canada is weighing things. Alison wasn't sent here, which could be construed as saying she's out of the running, but I'm not sure if Madeline was really intended to be in the running for senior Worlds or if this was just meant as a bonus/backup (before she trounced Emily).

They are supposed to announce today the final selections, no?
There wasn't any public indication of when they'd make a decision, that I'm aware of. But obviously with Junior Worlds coming up fast there's not much time.

Also, ten years ago today...

AlinaRina

Rinkside
I've been really impressed by how Maddie's speed and artistry have improved at the two competitions since Nationals. She's still my pick to send to senior worlds just because I think she would benefit the most from the experience.

rain

Record Breaker
There's only two spots available, so one of Madeline, Emily and Alison is getting nothing.

I'm not really clear how Skate Canada is weighing things. Alison wasn't sent here, which could be construed as saying she's out of the running, but I'm not sure if Madeline was really intended to be in the running for senior Worlds or if this was just meant as a bonus/backup (before she trounced Emily).

There wasn't any public indication of when they'd make a decision, that I'm aware of. But obviously with Junior Worlds coming up fast there's not much time.

Well Madeline's excellent showing certainly threw a wrench in the works. She's really been on an upward trajectory this season, and I'd have no problem with them sending her to senior worlds. Emily tanked the long here, after getting her SP minimums, and did not skate particularly well at 4CC. It sort of looks like nationals was a bit of a fluke for her. And Alison completely tanked the SP at 4CC. I was a little surprised they didn't send her to Challenge Cup to face off against the other two, but maybe after that disastrous short they counted her out for this season. I don't know what they'll do. If it was completely up to me, I'd sent Madeline to senior worlds, and Alison to junior worlds, I think. Give Emily one more year. But I could see a case for all of them to be sent to junior or senior or none.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Congratulations my Canadian friends. I didn't see Emily today (I came in a little too late), but I did see Madeline, and she skated lights out. Apart from the Japanese ladies who were in a World of their own, she had the best skate ever. Wow! And now she's easily got both minimum TES! And a medal into the bargain. I wish your Skating Federation a lot of luck in making their choices for JW and W.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not all that surprising that Emily tanked the FS. After all, this was her third competition in the space of 6 weeks: Nationals, 4CC, Challenge Cup. And now no doubt she will be 'given' JW to make 4 competitions in 8 weeks.

Madeline has had an easy time of it: Nationals in Jan and Challenge Cup 6 weeks later. Now she gets a month of rest til Worlds.

Ziotic

Medalist
Not all that surprising that Emily tanked the FS. After all, this was her third competition in the space of 6 weeks: Nationals, 4CC, Challenge Cup. And now no doubt she will be 'given' JW to make 4 competitions in 8 weeks.

Madeline has had an easy time of it: Nationals in Jan and Challenge Cup 6 weeks later. Now she gets a month of rest til Worlds.

Actually Madeline was at BO and won around the same time as 4CC

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BO was a junior competition. Emily has had 3 senior competitions in a row, one of which was an ISU championship.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Chuckm

Madeline competed at the Junior level at the Bavarian Open the same weekend as 4 Continents - 2 weeks ago. She won Gold there with a score of 164.29. So same schedule as Emily but appears to be going the opposite way to Emily with regards to performance. While as much as I enjoyed Emily's skates at Cdn Nationals, I think it is smart to go with somebody for worlds who appears to be currently improving versus somebody who is currently struggling.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I highly doubt they would've sent Emily to Challenge Cup had she gotten her TES minimums at 4CC. So in a sense, it's her own fault that she had to compete again.

Ziotic

Medalist
Ultimately I don’t think Emily has the same ceiling as any of the other contenders. She just won’t get the same level of PCS as they are capable of.

Alicia has at least some international experience and Madeleine is already out scoring her compatriot with basically no international exposure.

Although she won nationals. She’s since lost to Alicia, Alison and Madeline in international competition . To me that’s not handling the pressure of the title well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my picks are harsh for emily.. i'd send madeline to senior and alison to junior worlds.

though, i think it's important we remember that our ladies have often been late bloomers and we shall be patient with them... emily has a high scoring potential jump wise... and she's improved heaps in steps and spins... her skating skills need refinement.. i hope that can be addressed quickly as, in my opinion, this is what will set her back internationally ... she reminds me a bit of gabby when gabby was very young... all power... gabby worked a lot to become the skater she is. much love to gabby <3 as well

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well Emily didnt get ther TES minimum for the FS so she's automatically out for SR worlds.. Madeline or Alison will go.. I am assuming Gabby is a no go? Although at this point.. I'd still send her TBH. You literally cant get in a worse scenario right now. lol.