2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Roo87

Medalist
What are thy way thinking not auto assigning Brooke and Brandon to JWC???

Also my rage about not auto sending Roman is very high too.

Yea I really don’t get that! If they don’t send my little pairs babies ima be upset!

I think that if Roman skates well at 4CC they will send him, maybe they’re just testing his consistency.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice

That is my feeling too:furious:, but I saw it coming in the SP. I was watching live, and I was expecting Roman to break 90. They gave him 2 under rotations and PCS lower than Nam. You can argue about the combination, but the quad sal looked quite rotated to me (I sit very close to the ice).

kenboy123

On the Ice
Sending Emily and Allison to worlds may seem fair and in the long term may pay off. But realistically they probably aren't the stars of the future. I would in Canada's interestsfor two spots monitor Gabby. I didn't say it was fair but really she is still Canada's only hope. Neither Emily or Allison have much of a name recognition and like it or not that is an issue but perhaps thereis the other issue. They are rather generic, so so skaters. They aren't jumping beans, spin queens or artistic divas. i do not know if Canada looks at BOW or just nationals but this is a sad sad situation - nothing against Allison or Emily who deserved their placements. But winners with five clean triples or medalling with three yikes!

But if we don't start investing in young talent now, when are we going to???...even if Daleman is able to skate, she isn't going to be around forever...we seriously need to start investing in younger talent NOW in a year with less stakes because next year is Olympic qualification, if we don't start now and Daleman regresses further, we are going to NO ONE in the future...i don't see how Daleman is going to save anything in this stage, i honestly would be more confident with either Emily or Alison having the "skate of their life" at this point...Daleman right now in NO STATE to skate...

rain

Record Breaker
But if we don't start investing in young talent now, when are we going to???...even if Daleman is able to skate, she isn't going to be around forever...we seriously need to start investing in younger talent NOW in a year with less stakes because next year is Olympic qualification, if we don't start now and Daleman regresses further, we are going to NO ONE in the future...i don't see how Daleman is going to save anything in this stage, i honestly would be more confident with either Emily or Alison having the "skate of their life" at this point...Daleman right now in NO STATE to skate...

Yes, I can't help but think the suggestions to somehow look at sending Gabby are absurd. She has done absolutely nothing this whole season to suggest she can skate an even slightly credible program at worlds. Invest in the future. Get the new girls out there. They are not going to do worse than Gabby would right now.

I understand all of the TBDs to worlds, except not naming Roman ticks me off. He earned that spot fair and square, no matter what happens at Four Continents. He shouldn't have to re-fight the nationals battle. It's a totally different situation that in the other disciplines. Of course the third spot to worlds is Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson if they are able to skate in dance. They've earned it this season. And the ladies need to see if they can get the tech minimums to worlds. And in pairs, I/B had a better season internationally, by far, than W/M, who really had outright bad results and skates on the grand prix, so it makes sense to me to see if W/M have another good competition in them, or if this was a fluke.

But come on guys, not naming Roman is the opposite of forward-thinking.

Figure 8's

On the Ice

I agree. The young skaters need the chance to be exposed to Internationa Judges and better skaters. How else are they going to learn and improve? I have always liked Daleman but just how many chances does she get to accomplish anything at the the Wolrd level. And she finieshed too far off the podium to even think about going to Worlds.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
What are thy way thinking not auto assigning Brooke and Brandon to JWC???

Re: Brooke and Brandon, I wonder if they have an injury that hasn't been publicly disclosed yet? That's the only reason I can think for them not getting an automatic assignment.

Re: Roman, I can kinda understand it. He's had two good competitions, but not a lot of history of strong skates or consistency. Put all three of them under international pressure and see who can handle it. But as long as Roman doesn't flop at 4CC, I would say he deserves the world spot.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re: Brooke and Brandon, I wonder if they have an injury that hasn't been publicly disclosed yet? That's the only reason I can think for them not getting an automatic assignment.

Re: Roman, I can kinda understand it. He's had two good competitions, but not a lot of history of strong skates or consistency. Put all three of them under international pressure and see who can handle it. But as long as Roman doesn't flop at 4CC, I would say he deserves the world spot.
Nam or Keegan have a history of strong skates or consistency? Nam has bombed mightily in his last 3 Worlds appearances and Keegan wasn't much better last year at Worlds. Skate Canada needs to start investing in these younger skaters and stop living in the past. As it looks Canada is going to have a hard time getting on the podium in the team event in Beijing unless they start developing these younger skaters.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They need to focus on her well-being at this point. Her scoring potential doesn't matter imo.

Of course her well being is most important but I think a redemption skate at 4CC or Worlds can give her more a sense of confidence and purpose. She should obviously skate on her terms but I still think she should be given the opportunity, and it would be more likely than Canada gets 2 spots.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I would also love to see Roman S. advancing to the Worlds—and I hope he puts in a stable performance in 4CC... I love Nguyen and Messing very much, but I am strongly in favour of national champions going, and the same goes for the ladies. I guess, I was just impressed out of my mind by how Japanese did it.

Also, as I am rewatching sans pressure to see who wins, I liked Dawson Nodwell’s skate...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Of course her well being is most important but I think a redemption skate at 4CC or Worlds can give her more a sense of confidence and purpose.
The issue being, how likely is it that she would actually skate well, based on what we've seen? Not very.

It would be irresponsible to send her at this point, the risk of causing further harm and outright burnout greatly outweighs the potential reward.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The judges were like "Must get them World's medal. Must show confidence in G/P. Let's give them all the points!!!!" Scandalous :D

I mean I doubt international judges would ever give them all level 4s for everything. And there were small errors in the FD. But whatever it's their moment, let's celebrate them finally :D

They were definitely not strong here and they should have been hammered for the hair incident in the SD but still got huge PCS like it never happened.

But they can still attain close to perfect levels internationally (hard for anyone to do, btw - just look at the 2019 GPF FD http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf)

Here’s them getting almost perfect levels at Worlds 2018 - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby isn't currently capable of putting a clean program on the ice (I think she landed 1 jump out of 7 in her free?), so she's no more able to get 2 spots than Emily or Allison are. I know people keep pointing out that she managed it last year, but she's seriously regressed this year (145 vs. 166 total score, including nationals inflation). There was a lot less ground to make up last year. Let the girl rest, it's going to do her no good to set her up for a bad experience and more stress and pressure.

I really like Gabby as a skater, but wouldn't send her anywhere right now. Her confusion is at an all time high and her confidence and consistency are at an all time low. Let's just stir in the guilt from taking a spot she did not earn, add the pressure to compete with the quadsters and earn two spots for Canada and you have a recipe for disaster. It would be cruel to put those expectations on an athlete as proud as Gabby and devastating for her confidence and damaging for her psyche.

I wish her all the best, sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can build back up or move on. She needs to figure out what SHE needs and that may take some time.

Scout

Final Flight
Nam or Keegan have a history of strong skates or consistency? Nam has bombed mightily in his last 3 Worlds appearances

That sounds pretty consistent to me ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm really frustrated. It seems like Skate Canada is doing whatever it can to give Nam or Keegan the spot.

I posted something similar in the men's even thread, but one of those three poor appearances is when Liam Firus gave up his Worlds spot to Nam, while thinking about what was best for team Canada. Nam did not qualify for the free skate. If Nam is selected, he'll have the pressure of needing to get back 2 spots, but he'll also know that his selection to the team is somewhat controversial. That seems like additional pressure to me.

Nam's had his chances. He can have more, if he earns them fair and square. This isn't a top international competitor having an uncharacteristically bad skate situation. Or, this isn't ice dance, where FB/S have consistently skated with much better scores and results than S/F and would likely have finished 2nd if not injured.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
Of course her well being is most important but I think a redemption skate at 4CC or Worlds can give her more a sense of confidence and purpose. She should obviously skate on her terms but I still think she should be given the opportunity, and it would be more likely than Canada gets 2 spots.

A redemption skate is great in theory, but it's not going to happen. She's not physically or mentally capable right now, and it's not fair to continue pushing her and pressuring her when she's not ready for it. A perfect skate doesn't just come out of nowhere. What's more likely to happen is a repeat of nationals or worse, and that's not good for her wellbeing or for Canada.

Scout

Final Flight
...I am strongly in favour of national champions going, and the same goes for the ladies.

Emily needs to get her qualifying scores (I think for the FS). So I can understand Skate Canada holding off on announcing the ladies team until Emily has had that opportunity. It would be wierd to name Alison to the team now, but not Emily.

Right now, I believe only Veronik, Alison and Alicia has earned the required TES. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So has Gabby, but I agree with all the comments about her health needing to come first at this point. I think she needs to re-build slowly. Get her physical and mental health under control. Get solid training in. Perform well at smaller local competitions and work her way up to senior Bs, Challengers and succeeding there to build confidence before going on a bigger international stage.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yea I really don’t get that! If they don’t send my little pairs babies ima be upset!

I think that if Roman skates well at 4CC they will send him, maybe they’re just testing his consistency.

Or maybe they are are just stupid.

Naming Roman outright would have given him freedom at 4CC. Go on, lad, put that 4T in competition, heck put it in the short, too,... and upgrade that last combo to a 3Z/3T. Shoot for the moon! No harm, no foul. Get some competition mileage and confidence heading into Worlds!

I doubt we'll see that now.

Amei

Record Breaker

What has Gabby done for her poor showing at Nationals to be ignored? The way people are posting on here, that she should be sent to 4ccs/Worlds regardless of the fact that she skated very poorly at Nationals, I would think that she had an international career like Zagitova or Medvedeva. And that somehow in spite of the fact that she's skated poorly all season that magically she'll skate well enough on the biggest stage to keep Canada's 2 spots?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Or maybe they are are just stupid.

Naming Roman outright would have given him freedom at 4CC. Go on, lad, put that 4T in competition, heck put it in the short, too,... and upgrade that last combo to a 3Z/3T. Shoot for the moon! No harm, no foul. Get some competition mileage and confidence heading into Worlds!

I doubt we'll see that now.
Which would be for the good, if true. Roman is only barely starting to deliver his current content, and has yet to skate a clean short program. This is neither the time nor the place to start changing things up.

And that somehow in spite of the fact that she's skated poorly all season that magically she'll skate well enough on the biggest stage to keep Canada's 2 spots?
Well, for the record, she just did that last year.

I wouldn't myself send her at this point, since her circumstances seem worse, but I understand where the impulse comes from, because she did pull that particular rabbit out of a hat once before.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What has Gabby done for her poor showing at Nationals to be ignored? The way people are posting on here, that she should be sent to 4ccs/Worlds regardless of the fact that she skated very poorly at Nationals, I would think that she had an international career like Zagitova or Medvedeva. And that somehow in spite of the fact that she's skated poorly all season that magically she'll skate well enough on the biggest stage to keep Canada's 2 spots?

I have absolutely nothing against Gabby, and I wish her well.

But Canada cannot keep pressing her to save their bacon.

She looked very fragile this week. We're all aware of struggles. Give this woman a chance to recuperate, physically and mentally and emotionally.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which would be for the good, if true. Roman is only barely starting to deliver his current content, and has yet to skate a clean short program. This is neither the time nor the place to start changing things up.

Oh, I respectfully disagree.

He's got the hot hand now... a very good international showing, followed up by a national title that he won handily.

The confidence has got to be high. He's going to need upgrades, so why not debut them at 4CC in a relatively pressure free environment?