2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LOL I said the same thing a while ago when I saw her skate and then I found out she has the same coach as Kaetlyn. There is something about the Canadian ladies - they aren't your typical Miss America, lyrical skater. The top ones have a certain je ne sais quoi. Josee Chouinard no world or oly medal but capable had a cute and adorable personality and the trademark Canada huge jumps like Liz Manley, Joannie Rochette and Kaetlyn Osmond. They surprisingly have a wonderful liltandgrace but it is not typical. Amplitude and power describestheirskating andI think artistically they have not been fully appreciated. Aurora has a way to go but there is potential! Go Aurora.

this is my favourite post of you ever skaterboy... i agree with all of this : canadian ladies skating, huge jumps, power but also a special artistic presentation unlike the miss armerica vibe. nice one.

Roo87

Medalist
Looking through the protocols from this weekend's competitions, and there's a good few junior ladies attempting and rotating 3-3's, very exciting!!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaiya Ruiter's awesome free skate from the BC/Yukon summer event.

On hearing the music, my first thought was "oh, Harry Potter, that's age-appropriate for a 13-year-old", followed by the disquieting realization that this music is now a few years older than she is. Sigh, I'm old.

Balloon

On the Ice
Love that program Kaiya skated it last season. Looking forward to her competing on the JGP!

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Kaiya Ruiter's awesome free skate from the BC/Yukon summer event.

On hearing the music, my first thought was "oh, Harry Potter, that's age-appropriate for a 13-year-old", followed by the disquieting realization that this music is now a few years older than she is. Sigh, I'm old.

I've never seen a harry potter free skate before, but i like it! The music is very nice, and she skated really well. Interesting how they mixed music from different movies.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I've never seen a harry potter free skate before, but i like it! The music is very nice, and she skated really well. Interesting how they mixed music from different movies.

I've never seen one before either. Now I'm thinking why not, the soundtrack is so wonderful! :) The Harry Potter films were basically my childhood.

Kaiya skates very nicely. Best of luck for her JGP performances!

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I've never seen one before either. Now I'm thinking why not, the soundtrack is so wonderful! :) The Harry Potter films were basically my childhood.

Kaiya skates very nicely. Best of luck for her JGP performances!

Yeah, its definitely up there with the Lord of the rings soundtrack in 'music people should skate to more often'.
Good luck to Kaiya!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
While imperfect, Keegan looked ''perfect'' with his sp music choice and performance abilities. No, those are not tears, just Nova Scotian sea fog.

haribobo

On the Ice
Summer comp scores

SENIOR MEN
Keegan Messing 253
Joseph Phan 217 (jr event)
Nam Nguyen 209
Conrad Orzel 203
Iliya Kovler 196 (jr event)
Roman Sadovsky 196
Eric Liu 195 (jr event)
Bennet Toman 188
Stephen Gogolev 186 (jr event)
Alistair Lam 180
Beresford Clements 179
Jack Dushenski 178
Dawson Nodwell 173
Matthew Markell 169

TBD: Nadeau

JUNIOR MEN
Corey Circelli 183
Aleksa Rakic 180
Alec Guinzbourg 172
Wesley Chiu 169
William St-Louis 169
Gabriel Blumenthal 167
Matthew Newnham 167

SENIOR LADIES
Aurora Cotop 167
Emily Bausback 161
Kim Decelles 158
Hannah Dawson 157
Michelle Long 154
Alicia Pineault 152
Sarah-Maude Blanchard 152 (jr score)
Sarah Tamura 146
Amanda Tobin 143
Olivia Farrow 140
Viviane Maltais 140
Olivia Gran 135 (jr score)
Allison Schumacher 134 (jr score)
Veronik Mallet 134
Valerie Giroux 133
Beatrice Lavoie-Leonard 132
Katherine Medland Spence 131

TBD: Daleman

JUNIOR LADIES
Kaiya Ruiter 158
Madeline Schizas 152
Emily Millard 144
Amelia Orzel 142
Alexa Matveev 137
Catherine Carle 137
Emma Bulawka 136
Michelle Rivest 131
Vienna Harwood 131
Mia-Catherine Lussier 130

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
First time I've seen it! She's adorable, and what a simple but lovely costume!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is Thomas Pelletier any relation to David?

Is Justine Brasseur any relation to Isabelle?

cannot say about Thomas.. BUT Pelletier is SUCH a common name in Quebec that my take on it is that they probably have a common ancestor in the 1500s at least ;)

Isabelle's daughter is Gabby Marvaldi, apparently she switched from pairs to dance recently but I don't know much about her...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking at the Gdansk entries, the field for Joseph there is certainly a bit less intense than the Riga one.

Makita/Gunara likely have a shot at the podium, though with Demougeot/Le Mercier and Davis/Smolkin it'll be a fight (Nguyen/Kolesnik will of course win gold).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Makita/Gunara likely have a shot at the podium, though with Demougeot/Le Mercier and Davis/Smolkin it'll be a fight (Nguyen/Kolesnik will of course win gold).

Out of the entry lists we've seen, Makita/Gunara seem to have gotten the toughest set of assignments as they will be facing Davis/Smolkin and Nguyen/Kolesnik at both events.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Out of the entry lists we've seen, Makita/Gunara seem to have gotten the toughest set of assignments as they will be facing Davis/Smolkin and Nguyen/Kolesnik at both events.
Gdansk is definitely tough, but I'd argue that Lake Placid is probably the second-best assignment we've seen so far (Riga being the best).

When weighing the fields, the three questions are "who did the Russians send?", "who did the Americans send?", and "are there any other heavies?" For the third category, I think this year Kazakova/Reviya and Demougeot/Le Mercier are the two who warrant that classification, at least based on prior results. Lake Placid has Nguyen/Kolesnik as the heavy favourite to win, but the other two American teams are newbies; the Russians sent Davis/Smolkin and what was probably the weakest Russian team on the JGP last year; and neither the French nor Georgians are present. So I think there's a great shot for a Canadian team to make the podium there.

To my mind, the worst assignment we've seen so far is Chelyabinsk.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
To my mind, the worst assignment we've seen so far is Chelyabinsk.

This JGP may not be as hard as it looks. Yes, there are three Russian teams skating here at their home JGP and Shanaeva/Naryzhny are the favourites but the Russian team you mentioned competing at Lake Placid is also competing here. Khudaiberdieva is a WJC silver medalist but she is part of a new team now. The Browns may be another possible podium contender. Otherwise, I don't see this JGP as particularly tough.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This JGP may not be as hard as it looks. Yes, there are three Russian teams skating here at their home JGP and Shanaeva/Naryzhny are the favourites but the Russian team you mentioned competing at Lake Placid is also competing here. Khudaiberdieva is a WJC silver medalist but she is part of a new team now. The Browns may be another possible podium contender. Otherwise, I don't see this JGP as particularly tough.
Wolfkostin/Chen would be more of a concern to me than the Browns, at least based on what we've seen so far this season. The former haven't competed internationally yet, of course, but even applying the usual reduction to account for domestic inflation, their scoring has been impressive.