2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm sorry but that's ridiculous that someone as high in the World rankings as Rika is skating not only in the first group but 2nd overall.
It's not uncommon for the more minor events to not sort by World Standing (in fact, even several of the Challengers didn't earlier this year).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Shoma skates in a pretty early group too in the men's event. I believe there was a real draw....and only in the Free Skate will the groups be formed on the basis of placements. Personally, I rather like it. It prevents people coming late because they only want to see the best skaters. Just hoping they will stay to watch others doing their thing! I'm really looking forward to seeing Donovan, Shoma, and Keiji, and there's a lot to like in between. A pity there are no Canadian Senior or Junior men. Or pairs (as an outsider it always is so joyful to see that there are always talents in pairs among the Canadians).....

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
It's not uncommon for the more minor events to not sort by World Standing (in fact, even several of the Challengers didn't earlier this year).

Didn't most events used to assign short program placement by random draw? Is there any good reason not to do that? Of course, the free skate groups should always be assigned by short program scores.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Didn't most events used to assign short program placement by random draw? Is there any good reason not to do that? Of course, the free skate groups should always be assigned by short program scores.

Yes I’m fairly certain it is a random draw in this case.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Shoma skates in a pretty early group too in the men's event. I believe there was a real draw....and only in the Free Skate will the groups be formed on the basis of placements. Personally, I rather like it. It prevents people coming late because they only want to see the best skaters. Just hoping they will stay to watch others doing their thing! I'm really looking forward to seeing Donovan, Shoma, and Keiji, and there's a lot to like in between. A pity there are no Canadian Senior or Junior men. Or pairs (as an outsider it always is so joyful to see that there are always talents in pairs among the Canadians).....

I don't think there was a plan to have any Canadian ladies but they are in such dire straits to find a second woman to send to worlds. It literally is a situation of picking the best from the worst who still might not meet the basic requirements. Wouldn't it be interesting if they all skate poorly here and dont' get the tech minimums. Call Gabby Daleman May Day May Day. Canada needs you and fast.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think there was a plan to have any Canadian ladies but they are in such dire straits to find a second woman to send to worlds.
No, they're giving Emily another chance. Alison is already good to go (along with Alicia, of course, who has already been assigned).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ugh... i woke up at 6 52... which sucks... and then remembered it was at that time that the ladies were doing the SP at Challenge cup... so i connected.

emily skated well for the whole program, probably getting good levels on spins as well... except for a step out on the combo..

they gave a total score of 58 and change... emily, joanne and I lol were trying to see the TES score in tiny numbers on the screen.... if i saw correctly, it was just over 31 which would be enough if i am not mistaken... now, does she have to earn the LP score as well?

Ziotic

Medalist
ugh... i woke up at 6 52... which sucks... and then remembered it was at that time that the ladies were doing the SP at Challenge cup... so i connected.

emily skated well for the whole program, probably getting good levels on spins as well... except for a step out on the combo..

they gave a total score of 58 and change... emily, joanne and I lol were trying to see the TES score in tiny numbers on the screen.... if i saw correctly, it was just over 31 which would be enough if i am not mistaken... now, does she have to earn the LP score as well?

She has the LP score, so she’s officially eligible for worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was up early as well. You could tell from Emily and Joanne's reaction on seeing her scores that she had earned the SP TES minimum.
So odd that Rika Kihira skated next and fell on her combo.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Both ladies, Emily and Madeline, got their minimum TES today! Madeline is in 6th and skated really very well, and Emily is just behind her in 7th. Emily was the first to skate, so it was a good start for the audience too. Their TES was 32.68 and 31.50 respectively.

rain

Record Breaker
Aurora is evidently back in jump training, so that's a positive development for her. Now, if she could just have a year without getting derailed by injuries.

That's really good news. I was a bit afraid she'd just call it quits — she's spent more time injured than she has not over the last three years.

So, I think they'll name Emily Bausback to the worlds team pretty quickly now. They were certainly giving her every opportunity to get those minimums, now that she has them, I can't imagine them leaving her off.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
That's really good news. I was a bit afraid she'd just call it quits — she's spent more time injured than she has not over the last three years.

So, I think they'll name Emily Bausback to the worlds team pretty quickly now. They were certainly giving her every opportunity to get those minimums, now that she has them, I can't imagine them leaving her off.

Agreed. And she's good. Perhaps not medal material but she knows how to catch an audience. I saw her today and was positively surprised. It's not easy to skate as first, and having Rika Kihira as second. She did really well!

Shani

On the Ice
I think tomorrow is another day, and Emily is assured of a spot to Junior Worlds but Madeline was ahead of her at Challenge Cup Short program, so who will finish highest might determine who goes to Junior and Senior Worlds.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I think they’ll send Emily to senior worlds based on her being the national champ and now having her minimums. I’d send Madeline to junior worlds, especially if she beats Emily overall tomorrow.

Ziotic

Medalist
After today, I would send Madeleine to worlds. She’s been more reliable then everyone else, has capitalized on her opportunities and handled the pressure well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Emily was not just beaten by Madeline, the latter had a stellar skate way beyond Emily's score.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think they should send madeline to senior worlds as well... she has the top score by a canadian lady this season.... despite skating only ONCE as a senior internationally...