2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Iliya... :cry: Does anyone know if he's recovering from an injury?
I haven't seen anything suggesting that. It seems like purely a confidence thing.

The strange part is that the 3A was not the problem in his previous short programs this season. And once he popped that here, he landed everything else.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I haven't seen anything suggesting that. It seems like purely a confidence thing.

If a skater wanted to keep an injury or an illness private, though, then we'd never know, but obviously in the absence of info, it's natural for us assume that there's nothing wrong with him physically. I've been a fan of Iliya's since Dec. 2017, so I'm aware that he's an inconsistent competitor, but usually there's a mix good and bad performances, and so far his short program has been a mess this season. *sighs*

The strange part is that the 3A was not the problem in his previous short programs this season. And once he popped that here, he landed everything else.

It's indeed odd that it's his money jump that let him down this time, so this SP was the "opposite" of the others in terms of which jumps he landed cleanly.

Balloon

On the Ice
I was glad to see he kept pushing through, he want giving up. Keep going Iliya, good job Alec!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Despite the jump problems early in their short programs at ACI, Veronik and Michelle kept their performance levels up and their love of skating shone through in the rink. It was not easy for them to skate last and considering this, they showed some decent composure and good fight today. They have a great chance of moving up in the free.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nadia and Peter got bronze in Ice Dance at JGP Russia They're on track to be the only non-Russian medal at this competition.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now this is quite a weekend for Canadian dance.

:dance3: The pewter curse is definitively broken! Both because Nadiia & Peter won bronze and Irina & Grayson dropped an ordinal and didn't finish fourth (despite being fourth in both programs, heh).

A big win for Nadiia & Peter, obviously, though ironically they did it with lower scores than any of the fourth-place teams (though all in a fairly tight range, so with scoring variation, etc., it's not much of a gap). Much as at their domestic events, their PCS isn't presently being marked akin to the more well-known junior teams. Their stationary lift got called as a Level 3, which cost them about a point, so that's something to look at before Croatia.

Irina and Grayson, much better than last time, and definitely the most fluid this program has looked. I still don't think the middle section is as good as the opening or ending, though.

Piper & Paul's new programs were both skated well. The RD is more out-of-the-box successful than the FD, in my opinion. Several judges think the FD doesn't meet the tempo requirement, so that may need to be changed, but it's probably a fairly straightforward alteration to make the opening "happy" part faster.

Carolane & Shane had a strong RD and most of a strong FD, but then you had the fall. The FD is a lot of fun in my opinion. I hope this doesn't spiral like things did for them last year.

Over to Lombardia (still not over, of course), the RD scores there were a bit of an earthquake. Laurence & Nikolaj almost bearded the lion in its den here, and they did beat Guignard/Fabbri in TES. That's a straight-up declaration of war both domestically (vis a vis Gilles/Poirier) and internationally. Fantastic program (and amusingly, the Gadbois choreographers evidently had the same idea for twizzles as Carol Lane did).

I wouldn't have guessed West Side Story for Marjorie and Zach, but that went well as a debut. Zach seems to be performing a lot more than he did in juniors, especially in the opening parts.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Piper and Paul's new FD is truly a masterpiece, a lot more so than Vincent.
And the RD is a delight as always.
Now only the only hard part that remains is winning stuff :D

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Piper and Paul's new FD is truly a masterpiece, a lot more so than Vincent.
And the RD is a delight as always.
Now only the only hard part that remains is winning stuff :D

i cannot wait to see how it evolves trough the season... it's a gorgeous FD.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan is American by birth and Canadian by descent. And he is a 100% pleasant and thoughtful guy.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
During the Men's ACI medal ceremony, Keegan Messing unfurled and held the Japanese flag so Yuzuru Hanyu could turn and face it during the anthem.
https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1173018474316226561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1173018474316226561&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fd4ov2k%3Fresponsive%3Dtrue%26is_nightmode%3Dfalse

110% pure canadian!!

That is the most Keegan thing Keegan has ever done. Bless.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
During the Men's ACI medal ceremony, Keegan Messing unfurled and held the Japanese flag so Yuzuru Hanyu could turn and face it during the anthem.
https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/1173018474316226561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1173018474316226561&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fd4ov2k%3Fresponsive%3Dtrue%26is_nightmode%3Dfalse

110% pure canadian!!

Wow, what an incredible sportsman! :love: It's a nice coincidence that Keegan is 1/16 Japanese through his mother's side (for those of you who don't already know this, he's the great-great-grandson of the first Japanese person to officially immigrate to Canada).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
* pure canadian spirit then!

He is a real nice guy but we shouldn't always assume Canada are the nice guys. USA is a great nation full of wonderful loving people. Just look at the president. Ah...okay I think the point is Keegan is one cool dude who is super nice.

Scout

Final Flight

110% pure canadian!!

What a class act!

Here's the youtube version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljT-87ObXSM

Nice to see Yuzuru's gratitude as well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Russia made one last belated reshuffle of its dance assignments on the JGP. Ramifications:

- Khudaiberdieva/Filatov out of Gdansk, seemingly without replacement (and if so, the only possible replacement is Lazareva/Prokofiev). Good for Miku & Tyler, who I think still have a bit of an uphill climb to get a medal, but now that involves climbing over one team (Katashinskaia/Vaskovitch) as opposed to two.
- Ushakova/Nekrasov out of Croatia, Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy now the main Russian team. Good for Emmy & Aissa and Nadiia & Peter, as now it's just the Georgians who are locked for gold. The other two podium places are modestly open (also present, the Taschlers, who will be bringing momentum from Lake Placid).
- Ushakova/Nekrasov out of Italy, replaced by Khudaiberdieva/Filatov. This is a neutral change, replacing one probable Russian gold medalist with another.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
:dance3: The pewter curse is definitively broken!
Plus, your whole post.

When one continues to ignore the realities of international cooperative judging and chooses to be ''Switzerland'' versus calling a spade a spade, all I can say is, ...call me when the :coffee: kicks in.

Long before your arrival on Golden Skate, CG, many of us fought to legitimize Chan, Osmond, D&R, Daleman and others, as they were criticized on GS and judged as non-players. Fast forward to today and accepting a pewter when some have been blocked internationally, has me concerned.