2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Balloon

On the Ice
Aleexa is going junior in Minto. I do hope she has some consistent triples, would be nice to see some strong junior women.
Did they change the novice rule of bonus point for rotating a triple, even in a fall?? I think that rule is fine for PreNovice but at Novice most that have a consistent 2A can rotate triples. Last season I noticed a few programs going for the triple bonus points, but falling all over the place.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Natalie D'Alessandro and Bruce Waddell's joint Instagram account confirmed that their first JGP assignment is Latvia.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Because it is Canada day, of course I wish a lot of good luck to all the above mentioned skaters. But I also want to remember all great skaters from Canada. I am sure I'll miss a few:

Ladies:
Kaetlyn Osmond
Joannie Rochette

Pairs
Duhamel/Redford
Brasseur/Eissler
Sale/Pelletier

Dance
Tessa Virtue/Scot Moir
Weaver/Poje
Bourne/Kraatz
Dubreuil/Lauzon

Men
Patrick Chan
Jeffrey Buttle
Elvis Stoiko
Brian Orser
Kurt Browning
Toller Cranston

Happy Canada day!

Don’t forget Underhill/Martini and Wilson/McCall! :cheer:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Regarding Lubov and Charlie, I’ve always wondered if they should try an easier 2A for one of their their SBS jump elements. I’m not sure how stable Lubov’s 2A is at the moment, but if it’s decent and they can both land them with finesse, they’d certainly earn more than its base level value, plus positive GOE, as opposed to the minuscule points they’d get on a popped triple-to-double, with extremely negative GOE. Heck, for their SBS combo, perhaps they should start off with a 2A-2T-2Lo, then go from there as the season progresses? I think it may help Lubov gain more confidence to land those triples in the long run.

I mean, I’m by no means an international level pairs coach, so what do I know. ;) I do recall that MT-M2.0 used the double axel strategy two seasons ago, which I believe worked out well for them.

Incoming, slightly related segue: has anyone heard any recent news on Julianne? Is she hoping to continue skating and actively looking for a new partner? Gosh, I can still feel the metaphorical kick in the gut I had when I first heard of their splitup as a team. Despite struggling in their last two seasons together, they still showed ample potential in spades for future greatness.

:( Ah well, what can you do? I don’t know anything much about the drama surrounding their split. I’ve heard Charlie “wasn’t so nice” about it, but I don’t want to turn this thread into any sort of gang up on him.

That’s not a dig at Lubov by any means, mind you. I think she’s a total sweetheart with amazing talent, not to mention ample drive and perseverance to achieve her goals. She knows the weak areas in her skating and repeatedly acknowledges them to the public, which I think is noble to do.

I wish her and Charlie nothing but good luck for the upcoming season. I’m excited to see videos of their debut at Minto.

I’m thinking there’s a high probability of an intense pairs showdown at 2020’s Canadian Nationals between MTM2.0, Trennt and Evelyn, and Lubov and Charlie, especially because we only have two pairs team spots for 2020’s worlds. I think they’ll all push one another to skate their best, as we know how special it is to compete at worlds in your own home country; so there’s no denying it’s in all three teams’ goals for the quickly approaching season.

Pfft, and outsiders still think Canadian skating is dead without our retired veteran dream team. :rolleye: Minus Ms. Gabby D, of course. I don’t believe for a second that she was a one hit wonder on the world podium in 2017. She’s already taken admirably huge steps to work on the off-ice issues that plagued her last season.

While not as intense as it’s been over the last two quads, I still see potential for some great on-ice rivalries; not just in pairs, but in ice dance too. Then we can’t forget the battle for our one worlds spot in the men’s category. Bring it on, I say!

Ziotic

Medalist
MTM2 did 2A because they did 2Aeu3S which is more points than standard 3T-2T-2T for a 3 jump combo.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As far as the SBS go, I would say that Lubov and Charlie should do whatever works, initially. Gauthier said he thinks her jump problems are psychological, so presumably he has some strategy for dealing with that; starting small might be a good idea. It's not even necessarily an impediment to success; Peng/Jin did quite well in the first half of last season with planned 2S in the free skate.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
NextGen update:

Skate Canada just put up the 2019-20 NextGen team, and boy is it a big one. Ten guys, fourteen girls, six pairs, and nine dance teams.

This also included its selection criteria for the Youth Olympics. Excerpted:

Introduction
The 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG) is an important competition in which Skate Canada will named the best possible athletes who meet the eligibility standards. Skate Canada recognises that this competitive event can play a significant role in an athlete’s long-term preparation for Olympic Winter Games. Skate Canada also recognizes that the age eligibility for YOG does not align with Skate Canada’s LTAD and NextGen development guidelines. In addition, the limited time between 2020 YOG and the 2020 National Championship may pose a challenge for some athletes and may affect their decision to participate in the selection process depending on the goals they have established for the 2019-2020 season.
Athlete Selection Criteria
The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):

• Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season

• Qualifying for the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Team Selection and Announcement
Skate Canada will announce the Team on the November 26, 2019. The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will select the Team members along with substitute skaters for the disciplines in which Skate Canada has quota places no more than 7 days prior to the announcement of the team. Should Skate Canada not have an allocation of quota places in a discipline, the Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee can select a skater as a substitute pending a possible ISU reallocation of a quota place.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Sooo impressive (and enviable) that there are multiple pairs and ice dance teams, and some athletes are doing 2 disciplines. Respect!!!:bow:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sooo impressive (and enviable) that there are multiple pairs and ice dance teams, and some athletes are doing 2 disciplines. Respect!!!:bow:

Yeah, a lot of them are. It's cool. Corey is the only one on the NextGen team in both, but of the other dancers, both Natalie D'Alessandro and Bruce Waddell compete in singles at the junior level, and Kiera Kam does novice. In pairs Brooke McIntosh and William St. Louis do junior singles, Camille Perreault and Patricia Andrew do novice, and Kelly-Ann Laurin is doing pre-novice. I haven't noticed Brandon Toste on singles entry lists this summer, but he was also doing both as of last season. And a bunch of our new junior pairs teams who aren't on the NextGen team do singles as well.

Ziotic

Medalist
Do we think any lady will get two events? Or just six different ladies getting one each.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do we think any lady will get two events? Or just six different ladies getting one each.
I’d expect Alison will get two. For the rest, probably only if somebody knocks it out of the park in their first event.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’d expect Alison will get two. For the rest, probably only if somebody knocks it out of the park in their first event.

Who are the other candidates;
Olivia Gran
Amelia Orzel
Hannah Dawson
Emma Bulawka

Anyone else I’m missing? Is the girl who won novice last year with a 3-3 eligible?

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who are the other candidates;
Olivia Gran
Amelia Orzel
Hannah Dawson
Emma Bulawka

Anyone else I’m missing? Is the girl who won novice last year with a 3-3 eligible?

Kaiya Ruiter? I'm not sure when her birthday is, but she could be. She was still only 12 as of earlier this year though.

Scout

Final Flight
Emily Bausback and Sarah Maude Blanchard both had a jgp assignment last year. Although I guess it depends on how summer skates go.

I don't know when Kaiya's birthday is either, but one of the NextGen guidelines says skaters should be age eligible to compete for Canada at the junior grand prix level, so maybe she is now 13.

Happy to see so many skaters getting support through NextGen.