2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Andrew/Daleman won junior pairs at Ontario Sectionals thanks to a solid free, while McIntosh/Toste had a couple of errors. The latter were debuting a new free skate ("Say Something"), so it's perhaps understandable that some elements didn't go as well. Both have quite high triple twists now, with A/D getting level 3 on it in both programs.

The junior dance event also happened, with D'Alessandro/Waddell winning over Bashynska/Beaumont (though the latter kept it close, especially in the free dance, where they got almost perfect levels).

Scout

Final Flight
I didn't watch Andrew/Daleman's skates, but the protocols impressed me. They seem to be getting stronger with each outing.

Patricia also competed in novice women and finished 16th. She tried a 3S in both the short and long (fell both times, but got credit for the rotation in the long), which is a promising sign for eventual side by side triples.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Last night I had the strangest dream. Nam made the GPF. But I wasa thinking what if by fluke he made final and then lost narrowly to Messing at Nationals. who would Canada send to worlds? I know not probable.

rain

Record Breaker
Last night I had the strangest dream. Nam made the GPF. But I wasa thinking what if by fluke he made final and then lost narrowly to Messing at Nationals. who would Canada send to worlds? I know not probable.

I think it's a massive tossup who goes to worlds, but I do think it's between Nam and Messing. Keegan is the better skater, who has the better chance of placing higher on the world stage, should he skate well. Nam is maybe more predictable in terms of consistency. I think, with everything that Keegan's been going through, we, and Skate Canada will have to wait at least until nationals to really see where these two are. I actually wish there were two spots — last year I didn't care.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nam is national champion. If he repeats (3), it will be hard for the Fed not to send him this year. What took him there is landing his quads. That's also what took him to 5th in the worlds a long long time ago.... I am a Keegan fan. However, I'd put my bets on Nam this year.

Roo87

Medalist
Whoever wins between Nam and Keegan will be sent to Worlds (if one if the champion). My guess would be that if neither win, and the winner is eligible to go to senior worlds, that they may send Nam over the winner.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is Canada down to one spot?? Well, I can't see Nam not repeating as Champion but, if Keegan or some young jumper wins, send the Champion.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Is Canada down to one spot?? Well, I can't see Nam not repeating as Champion but, if Keegan or some young jumper wins, send the Champion.
My heart wants Keegan to have two clean programs at Nationals, get that title, and go to Worlds. Simply because I am so moved by his programs this year that I want to see them skated well and skated as many times as possible. However, the realistic part of me wonders whether Keegan needs some serious R&R in the off-season, and if he doesn't go to Worlds, he has more time to recharge after this emotionally draining season. I don't know; only Keegan knows what it's like.

Nam is looking quite strong, especially his jumps. He also skated with a freedom and joy at SC that I've never seen from him before. I so wish both of them could go to Worlds this year, in Canada, but alas! We'll have to see what happens on the night of Nationals (two nights, actually).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Whoever goes to worlds will have the extra pressure of trying to gain a second spot for 2021.
I'd say consider grand prix, nationals and 4CC results as a whole, although I guess most feds just go off nationals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Counting his summer competition, Nam has had at least one good program at all three of his events so far.

Great short at North York, followed by a, frankly, atrocious free skate where it seemed like he had barely trained it. Bad short at Nebelhorn, then a pretty good free skate. Then, at Skate Canada, he had two great skates back-to-back (you could argue that it was the best event of his career). I'm not sure what to expect from him at Rostelecom, especially now that the pressure is really on and he knows making the Final is a possibility.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Joseph missed the combo :sad21: at the Warsaw Cup, so he didn't earn the senior TES SP minimum for Worlds, but he has enough for 4CC. On a positive note, he was awarded the highest PCS in this segment. He's only 1.33 points away from 3rd place, so if he skates well tomorrow, a medal is within reach.

SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbUGq3-dyKw

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Three of our four competitors put their best feet forward on Day 1.

- Nam scored pretty close to his personal best, and looking at the protocols his spin levels have improved, though his GOEs are still decidedly modest. It seems like he's getting to a place where he can deliver his planned content reasonably reliably, even if his GOEs on almost everything tend to top out at a +3. He's in sixth at the moment, but #3-6 are all basically tied. He needs to move into fourth, at least, to have a shot, and ideally to at least third. We'll see what the jumps bring tomorrow (he has a big BV advantage in the free on Deniss, at least, so I think moving into fifth is quite doable; who even knows what to expect from Shoma).
- Walsh/Michaud unexpectedly showed up with a new short program, I guess feeling that the Elton John wasn't working for them. They certainly improved their technical delivery, the jumps and the throw both went well (and their twist, which isn't great or anything, looked like it had a bit more height than usual).
- Gilles/Poirier scored 0.02 lower than SCI, which is a pretty good result considering the move away from one's home event to one of their main rivals' home event.

- Lajoie/Lagha, rough day. Just getting few or no keypoints isn't new, but Zach stumbled on the pattern itself. It's a shame, as based on how everything else went down I think they could have been at least fifth in the RD otherwise.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The joy and the confidence in Nam's skating this year is infectious, as I see so much improvement here. Thanks Kurt, and the rest of the team, as I am LOVING this version of the New Nam!

"Holy moly". :luv17:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Whoever wins between Nam and Keegan will be sent to Worlds (if one if the champion). My guess would be that if neither win, and the winner is eligible to go to senior worlds, that they may send Nam over the winner.

It is their "own" fault for both of them messing up so badly last year. Though I am sure they did their best. Too bad they couldn't take one of the ladies spots. I don't think the "younger skaters" are consistent or strong enough and some of the younger skaters are like the age of Nam. Keegan is the better skater and really if clean could win a surprise bronze medal. If Nam could develop the promise he "once" and maybe still had he would overall be the better choice but for him to develop it won't be this year. (He should have improved his skating skills and quads by now. It has been much slower than anticipated though that huge growth spurt may have been a problem. Perhaps moving to the States and leaving Brian and his brothers - Hanyu and Javier wasn't the best decision. I like both of them and want much success for them. The problem is they aren't very consistent and even if they are clean they only have like three clean quads in the sp and fs. And we all know Trusova can do four in one program. I still would love to see Nam in the GPF but it is highly unlikely but one can hope. i wonder if two seconds could do it? Let's see - Nathan, Hanyu, Boyang (I guess he could self destruct), allow for a Russian and Japanese? I guess there is a chance.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wow, critical much? I'm so sick of it. I think our boys are doing pretty darn well, being that one is still grieving the loss of his brother. Nam is skating fine in my eyes, it could be worse.

Let them do what they are going to do, no one is perfect and the ice is often very slippery.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Nam skated great today!! I am just in love with his sass and charisma on the ice, I think both his programmes really suit him this year.