2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Stephen Gogloev at Glacier Falls. New programs, new height (another growth spurt?), no big jumps. I hope he is not injured.
SP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-mzuKwOb64&frags=pl,wn
FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe8rZ5dlHdA&frags=pl,wn
My guess would be he's coming back from injury and taking it easy on the jump content.

Alicia Fabbri and Paul Ayer have moved to Gadbois (from Julien Lalonde - I think?) - seems Marie-France is collecting up the almost all of the up and coming Canadian dance teams one by one!

source
That's a good move for them -- well, it's a good choice in pretty much any circumstance, but especially since the next few seasons are going to be tough sledding in terms of getting assignments. I'm glad that they're committing to going the distance.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't know when Kaiya's birthday is either, but one of the NextGen guidelines says skaters should be age eligible to compete for Canada at the junior grand prix level, so maybe she is now 13.
And for our answer, Kaiya is listed as a sub for JGP France, so evidently she is age-eligible this year.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The junior rhythm dance at the Minto is tonight, so we should get to see lots of new junior programs. I'm looking forward to it.

Scout

Final Flight
And for our answer, Kaiya is listed as a sub for JGP France, so evidently she is age-eligible this year.

I guess we just had to be patient (which is so hard during the off season!). So if her summer skating goes well, we might see her on the circuit this year!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
just wanted to say that i love francis and new partner Nadine Wang... WTG for a first event.. very strong. Lifts and twist will need work but the rest seems to be gelling... they could create some upsets in the hierarchy.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Junior dance was the easy highlight of the Minto event, which in a lot of ways could be expected; it may make judging difficult, but dance is the one event where you can generally count on even the lower-level contenders to do something that's at least entertaining and easy to watch. We didn't end up quite getting a mini-Nationals, with Natalie & Bruce and Emmy & Aissa skipping (indeed, this might have been the only faceoff between all six major teams, since two of them will presumably be bound for Lausanne rather than Mississauga), but the debuted programs were interesting. I'd say that Miku & Tyler have the best pair of programs, at least of those I saw -- I missed Irina & Grayson's rhythm dance and since Skate Ontario apparently isn't archiving them, looks like I'll have to wait until Lake Placid for that.

I think Iliya's short program was very nicely designed, and when skated cleanly will serve him well.

The senior and junior pairs events had a lot of promise for the future, even if the present is very much a work in progress. The new junior and senior teams had some good qualities, and I was impressed at how much elevation Brooke McIntosh was getting on the triple twist that she and Brandon are working on.

I think at this point, Nic really needs to look into some sort of new coaching situation, or something. It's painful seeing so much natural talent never reach its potential.

EDIT: Team Canada at JGP USA:

Men
Stephen Gogolev
Beres Clements

Ladies
Emily Bausback

Pairs
Brooke McIntosh & Brandon Toste
Gabrielle Levesque & Pier-Alexandre Hudon

Ice dance
Irina Galiyanova & Grayson Lochhead
Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara

Scout

Final Flight
We didn't end up quite getting a mini-Nationals, with Natalie & Bruce and Emmy & Aissa skipping (indeed, this might have been the only faceoff between all six major teams, since two of them will presumably be bound for Lausanne rather than Mississauga)

The YOG have a much more narrow age range than juniors. My understanding is that athletes need to be between 15 to 18 at December 31, 2020 (that it, you need to be born in 2002, 2003, 2004 or 2005). Out of the six super strong junior dance teams, I think only Miku & Tyler qualify by the age restriction. I wonder how going to YOG would affect selection for world juniors. Four years ago, this event was held in February, so that timing worked better for Canadian figure skating.

ETA: Never mind, Skate Canada website has different information about age restrictions for males in pairs & dance and being born in 2001 is within the limits. So Irina & Grayson cannot go, nor can Olivia & Corey.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ETA: Never mind, Skate Canada website has different information about age restrictions for males in pairs & dance and being born in 2001 is within the limits. So Irina & Grayson cannot go, nor can Olivia & Corey.
Yes, those two teams are the ones who are definitely going to Nationals. The other four are YOG-eligible. Emmy & Aissa and Natalie & Bruce have expressly said they want to go; I don’t think Miku & Tyler or Nadiia & Peter have said anything either way publicly, but I doubt they aren’t similarly interested.

Incidentally, this will also complicate JWC selection. Is it going to be the two who go to YOG plus the national champ, or are they going to weigh the YOG competitors’ results against the other two on the national podium?

Scout

Final Flight
The two who go to YOG plus the national champ seems unfair to the two teams who aren't eligible for YOG, as it means they could only go to JW if they are national champ. In a situation where one of the non-YOG eligible teams is the second strongest of the six teams (say 2nd at Canadians or Challenge or second best overall results at JGP), but not national champ, then they wouldn't get to go to JW, all because they were not young enough for YOG.

Head to head at the Challenge seems like a good start, but also taking into consideration the JGP, Canadians and YOG results (because, for example if a team has an off skate at Challenge and finishes 4th, but then wins Canadians, or medals at JGPF, I would still select them for the JW team).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wouldn't expect the YOG teams to be at Skate Canada Challenge; its purpose is nationals qualification, and they're not going to nationals.

They would go if it was part of the selection process for Junior Worlds. Just saying it is an option. A way to compare scores head-to-head rather than scores that may run very differently in different competitions.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wouldn't expect the YOG teams to be at Skate Canada Challenge; its purpose is nationals qualification, and they're not going to nationals.

Often skaters/teams do Challenge when they have a by to Nationals, so I don't see why YOG teams wouldn't. It doesn't conflict with the Youth Olympics. If any team happened to make the JGPF, then I wouldn't expect them to go to Challenge, but I think if you make the JGPF then you should be on the JW team most likely, so it would be fine.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Emily Bausback: this will be her fourth season on the jgp. Is she a top 5 or 6 contender now?
Does Canada have any promising juniors this season in the ladies category?

Balloon

On the Ice
Yes I agree with Kaiya being the top prospect, but we have quite a few novice ladies with some big triples, so we’ll see what they can do with their growth and progression.
It’s hard to get too excited when the skater is so young and hasn’t grown.

nadster

Final Flight
Kaiya ruiter and alexa matveev come to mind :)

Yes I agree that these are the 2 with the most potential.

As for Emily Bausback, she has not really progressed the last couple years and I think she needs to move away from the Mcleod camp ASAP.

Emily has the jumps but her basics are weak.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lake Placid International RD results:

1. Bashynska/Beaumont - 55.48
2. Bronsard/Bouaraguia - 54.70
3. Cesanek/Yehorov (USA) - 53.86
4. Galiyanova/Lochhead - 53.83
5. Brown/Brown (USA) - 53.66
6. Makita/Gunara - 51.68

The TES/PCS breakdown is fascinating.

The judges clearly loved Emmy & Aissa's performance, because they won the PCS by more than a point (and the team that came second in PCS, Oona and Gage, are in fifth place); they've got a 2.25 PCS lead over Nadiia & Peter, who are in first place because they dominated the TES (winning that by over a point compared to the next team, and over three points better than what Emmy & Aissa managed).

The judges really were not feeling Miku & Tyler, though. They had the third-best TES, but were way behind the other teams in PCS (almost four points behind Emmy & Aissa). BillNeal might have to pay the judges a visit.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Yes I agree that these are the 2 with the most potential.

As for Emily Bausback, she has not really progressed the last couple years and I think she needs to move away from the Mcleod camp ASAP.

Emily has the jumps but her basics are weak.

You mean the skater ruiner? Such a terrible coach in terms of teaching.