How to care for young skating camper? | Golden Skate

How to care for young skating camper?

Hi! So, my just turned five year old has started half day skating camp. He will have 3 weeks total of camp, with two daily hours on the ice. This was the second day and so far he is doing great. Prior to camp he had passed into Basic 3 and the instructor said he was able to do crossovers and lunges today.

So how do I care for him physically and mentally, during those weeks of camp? Does he need massage, extra naps, whatever? Should he be wearing a hat to ice practice, just in case? He just turned 5 a couple weeks ago. He loves camp but he’s quite young so I want to make sure he’s getting his needs met. Thank you for any input!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! So, my just turned five year old has started half day skating camp. He will have 3 weeks total of camp, with two daily hours on the ice. This was the second day and so far he is doing great. Prior to camp he had passed into Basic 3 and the instructor said he was able to do crossovers and lunges today.

So how do I care for him physically and mentally, during those weeks of camp? Does he need massage, extra naps, whatever? Should he be wearing a hat to ice practice, just in case? He just turned 5 a couple weeks ago. He loves camp but he’s quite young so I want to make sure he’s getting his needs met. Thank you for any input!

Just let him have fun and learn and love the sport. Keep him hydrated and have him stretch and rest. Oh and most important: BREATHE! both of you. ;) Also, encouragement is always good, just not overkill.

Enjoy! :)

ayb2

Rinkside
My youngest started half day camp when she was 5. If he's still in basic levels and not spinning, yes, I would strongly consider keeping him in a helmet if that's what you mean by a hat. If he comes home and takes a nap, that's fine, but I don't think you need to schedule one. My 5 year old did crash out and nap a few times the first few days of camp, but then was fine. Have fun! They're not doing anything that needs PT or massage at this point. Stretching might be good. Save the more aggressive PT/rolling/massage for when the axels and doubles start coming.

mishulyia

On the Ice
My 5yo will be starting a camp in Florida in a few weeks as well, working on early FS elements. It’s from 8:30AM-3:30PM Monday-Friday! Getting a little nervous too bc it will be her first camp. Should I stay and watch the first day?

Clarice

Rinkside
I know the rink and the coaches. I hope he has a great time! If he really won't wear a helmet (which I also recommend), would he tolerate a knit ski cap? If you roll up the brim it provides some padding against head bonks.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Evanston (near Chicago) learn to skate at Robert Crown. We love the coaches. But he won’t wear a helmet!

That is a wonderful camp! Really great coaches who will be looking out for your kiddo's safety. Unless they have specifically suggested/hinted that he should wear a helmet, he's probably fine without it. I don't see too many kids in helmets once they're past Snowplow. And with regards to care off-ice (naps/massage/etc), these would be great questions to ask the coaches! :)

VegMom

On the Ice
Sorry this is late to the party but in case it's helpful to anyone in the future...
My kiddo did fine in FULL day skate camps at that age but as he gets older and more serious about skating even the part day camps really drain his energy. It's about the level of focus and the intensity of the activity. The higher level they get, the harder they work to jump and spin etc. And then there's off-ice and camps seem to really push them hard in off-ice. So, point is that everyone is different and it really depends on the camp, the kid, and the level. But no matter what, they need lots of snacks and lots of rest.