Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 117 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hello Yuzu fans!

I thought you might be interested in this quote (auto translate from Japanese) from Jason about his skate following Yuzu. Jason has no problem with it ;)

“Pooh flew around the ice and felt like I was being supported and I was cheered up. The power of the yellow bear is amazing.”

https://www.translatetheweb.com/?re.../event/skating/interview/2019_2020/brown.html

He also talks about what a treat it is to see Seimei and Chopin in practice.:agree:

Thank you! That is so lovely... a lot of people going to Worlds have mentioned online how on one hand they will miss Origin and Otonal but how ecstatic they are that they are going to see Chopin and Seimei live and they hadn't expected to.

Only Yuzu....

And Nam also seems to gotten a lift (SC?) from the power of a crowd of happy Yuzu fans. There must be something in the air... or the Poohstorm :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think I read that the little boy doing a Yuzu/Origin tribute in his SP won the Jnr men at the current Challenger? Lovely to see him inspiring young Japanese to rise up....

ankifeather

Final Flight
I think I read that the little boy doing a Yuzu/Origin tribute in his SP won the Jnr men at the current Challenger? Lovely to see him inspiring young Japanese to rise up....

The little girl Mone Chiba who won the junior ladies at the Cup was the little girl Yuzu played with at Sendai rink in Yuzu's past documentary. It's amazing all these little kids he inspired are already out there and competing.

yude

Record Breaker
I've just heard that table tennis WC in Korea is going to be postponed, it was supposed to be from March 22 to 29 but would be in June. How is the current situation of figure skating WC? Do you think we don't need to worry?

ankifeather

Final Flight
Not sure about Worlds but the big outbreak of the virus in Korea occurred two weeks after 4CC, so that was a near miss. Hope everyone here in highly infected countries is safe and sound.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
The virus situation in Canada seems to be stable and contained at the moment, so if this goes on I believe there should be no change to WC. They will probably have the same precaution measures as 4CC. That said, things can escalate quickly out of nowhere like what happened in Korea. So we really wouldn’t know until the last week :(
I wonder, though, if flight cancellations by airlines, entry bans, and etc would prevent skaters from getting to Canada. (Though that isn’t a concern in Yuzuru’s case as he is already in the country.)

The virus situation in Canada seems to be stable and contained at the moment, so if this goes on I believe there should be no change to WC. They will probably have the same precaution measures as 4CC. That said, things can escalate quickly out of nowhere like what happened in Korea. So we really wouldn’t know until the last week :(
I wonder, though, if flight cancellations by airlines, entry bans, and etc would prevent skaters from getting to Canada. (Though that isn’t a concern in Yuzuru’s case as he is already in the country.)

But it's not just about athletes. It's about all the fans that are traveling, mostly from Japan and China. Right now Italy and Iran are reporting increasing death counts as well. Having major athletic events anywhere in the world may be an unnecessary risk these days.

Nachi

On the Ice
There already are football games in europe which are either canceled or played with no audience. I don't know what the ISU will do because they'd lose quite some money as well. So either they do it without audience or not at all. That's my guess for now. Nobody knows yet when the peak of the disease will be reached and we already are very close to a pandemia. Maybe the Canadian Government will play a role as well and will cancel all big (sports) events. From today's viewpoint that would be the best solution.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There already are football games in europe which are either canceled or played with no audience. I don't know what the ISU will do because they'd lose quite some money as well. So either they do it without audience or not at all. That's my guess for now. Nobody knows yet when the peak of the disease will be reached and we already are very close to a pandemia. Maybe the Canadian Government will play a role as well and will cancel all big (sports) events. From today's viewpoint that would be the best solution.

It's a worry.... but as we say so often about just Yuzu, health comes first.

yude

Record Breaker
Thank all of you for the information and opinions :) I remember WC in 2011 was postponed because of earthquake in Japan, I agree health and lives are more important. I will check the news from now on, especially by ISU.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
But it's not just about athletes. It's about all the fans that are traveling, mostly from Japan and China. Right now Italy and Iran are reporting increasing death counts as well. Having major athletic events anywhere in the world may be an unnecessary risk these days.

Ah yes, I know. The first part was about everyone. Only the latter part was about athletes.

————
What I think is that as long as it is not yet declared a pandemic & the local situation has not escalated, the organization will go ahead with it. The situation in Europe escalated hence all the cancellations and adjustments took place.
While it is true that we are expecting a big group of audience flying from areas with outbreak, it was also the case in 4CC (where the situation in Korea was contained at the moment and lots of people were flying in from China.)
I think in the case that they decide to push through with the competition, the organizer would operate under the logic that travel bans and regulations put in place by the government domestically in Canada and source regions along with international regulations should already suffice and no other restrictions aside from basic precautions (like at 4CC) would be needed.

ETA: ISU’s statement for the cancellation of Short Track Championship gives me the impression that they only called it off based on the decision of Seoul local authorities. So I guess it would be the same case for figure skating - cancellation depends on the situation of host country.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
With all this virus news, a long time acquaintance of mine was on the Diamond Princess as Staff for the last year. :eek: her contract ended just before this last cruise, so she had a very narrow escape.
I hope every one is doing well and being safe, not just from the Corona Virus, but from the common cold and flu as well. :ghug:

firal

Record Breaker
No panic in Canada yet but that could change any day as we've seen now. I think even if the situation worsen it's more probably that it will go on with no audience rather than outright cancel. Yikes remembering the prices those tickets cost I don't know if people can wish for a refund...obviously you can't put a value on lives but...:palmf:

On a lighter note, do we know where he planned to do the 4A yet? I am assuming it will be the first jump of the FS, or if he going to replace a 3A with 4A instead?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's such a quiet time for skating and the Yuzu fandom, so here are two pieces I've been working on in the lull.

Videos of the process included.
https://twitter.com/pugs07673466/status/1232328430105939968?s=20 A pencil sketch
https://twitter.com/pugs07673466/status/1231587289819533314?s=20 A watercolor painting

Oh so beautiful... the lulls are worse for us because - unlike most sports stars - Yuzu has no social media presence, of course. Other fans get tweets and pics and all that, we get to squint at any TCC people to try and make out a blurry "is it him?"

But art like this and all his so talented fan artists does make it easier....