Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 139 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

yude

Record Breaker
It's August and I was about to post about media day (no information, just wanted to share our thoughts on how Yuzuru will reveal his programs this year :biggrin:), but today we knew GPS might happen even in different ways than usual.

I really don't mind if it is cancelled, but I think I will take paid leave around SC and NHK.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's August and I was about to post about media day (no information, just wanted to share our thoughts on how Yuzuru will reveal his programs this year :biggrin:), but today we knew GPS might happen even in different ways than usual.

I really don't mind if it is cancelled, but I think I will take paid leave around SC and NHK.

I assume that it will be one or the other, depending on where he is (I think in Japan). If so, it's rough that he won;t have been able to do anydirect coaching but Broian did say Yuzu is mostly his own coach now, and I'm sure there are others in Japan who would be happy to step up temporarily.

What it means for new programs is anyone's guess, but he'll have been working on that already for some time.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
We see glimpses of other skaters here and there, but not a peep about what Yuzu is going to do this season. I wish we had any news at all.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We see glimpses of other skaters here and there, but not a peep about what Yuzu is going to do this season. I wish we had any news at all.

I know! We all know his ninja tendencies but the way this year is and with no shows, no media day... not even sure proof of where in the world he actually is (not that I blame him for that, his privacy is so hard to maintain) it almost feels like we dreamed him up...

To convince us he's not, here's a twitter about the IFS magazine coming out in October, just because of the lovely picture on the cover
https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/1290118247577075713

yude

Record Breaker
While I think there will be no chance of usual media day this year, I've been wondering if Yuzuru will talk with the press remotely just like other Japanese skaters did during the training camp by JSF. I am so sure the journalists have tons of question to ask him before the season starts.

We don't know if Yuzuru will participate in NHK, but JSF has tweeted that they would announce the information of NHK in September including ticket sale. I was surprised since I was expecting it would be held without the audience, but ISU has not decided the details of GPS overall, so I think we have to wait and see. NHK is in Osaka this year, the one of the cities which has a large number of Covid-19 patients right now. The competition is in the end of November, but no one knows what the situation would be like then (the country has done almost nothing for the 2nd wave so far, I doubt if the infection will be reduced IMO).

For your information, some sports have already started to hold the events with audience in Japan, such as Sumo, football and baseball. But the number of ticket is very limited and the fans have to follow the rules in the seats like "wear the masks","no screaming","no eating", etc. And if one athlete gets sick or found as positive in coronavirus testing, the game is cancelled immediately. This month, a figure skating competition was held in Kyushu area, but without the audience. I've read JSF took this competition as model case for future events because it was a pretty good success even though there were more things to improve. If you are interested in what kind of measures were taken, here are some links (I think this time google translation works, but ask me if you have something want to know).

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202008020000012.html
https://news.biglobe.ne.jp/sports/0802/spn_200802_6794228206.html
https://news.biglobe.ne.jp/sports/0801/spn_200801_8406650815.html

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While I think there will be no chance of usual media day this year, I've been wondering if Yuzuru will talk with the press remotely just like other Japanese skaters did during the training camp by JSF.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

You would think one of the most famous and loved (quite literally!) faces in Japan would not find it as easy to do such a vanishing act... if he hadn't been a skating GOAT he really could have gone in for espionage. Or a career as The Invisible Man :biggrin:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It being International Cat Day, if you go onto twitter there are a lot of tweeted pics/gifs of cats watching Yuzuru on TV.... :laugh2:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aaaand one more spam, the UCCA Center for Contemporary Art in Beijing are holding an Elizabeth Peyton exhibition and for the electronic poster outside, they chose her Yuzu portrait. In the dusky light, it glows....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDlhVQ8DuPc/

At leasts, even if Yuzu himself isn;t taking pity on us, other people are.

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
I miss Yuzu so much :( Does anyone have any guesses if he's been able to get new programs / choreo? I know he wanted to, but in this situation I wonder if he's had opportunity to work with Jeff or Shae at all.

milkgirl

On the Ice
I miss him too. I hope, he `ll have the opportunity to work with Benoit Richaud. For mr this would be a wonderful cooperation!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I miss Yuzu so much :( Does anyone have any guesses if he's been able to get new programs / choreo? I know he wanted to, but in this situation I wonder if he's had opportunity to work with Jeff or Shae at all.

Some people on other forums suggested he might ask Nanami (we all remember Romeo & Juliet 1 :luv17:) or another Japanese choreographer, he clearly had some plans for new programs at the end of last season.

The fundraiser in Japan, 24HR, for disaster relief, should be this month and with any luck, knowing how much it means to him, we may get another glimpse (of both Yuzu and the blessed white wall :laugh:).

Meanwhile, this thread and the other mentioned tweets are rather adorable, fans telling him they miss him from many countries and in many languages.

https://twitter.com/fluffyuzu/status/1292926728751456261

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
Some people on other forums suggested he might ask Nanami (we all remember Romeo & Juliet 1 :luv17:) or another Japanese choreographer, he clearly had some plans for new programs at the end of last season.

I was thinking this as well, but my mind went to Kenji Miyamoto. He's choreographed some beautiful, emotional exhibition programs for Yuzu before and seemed to "get" him so I wouldn't mind if Yuzu went to him for choreo. Well, anyway, I'll accept and respect whatever Yuzu decides to do :thumbsup:

yude

Record Breaker
I hope we'll have announcement from NTV about Yuzuru's appearance in 24hr TV on this weekend, they have been doing PR on Sunday for a few weeks now.

About choreography, some Japanese skaters have worked with foreign choreographers on line/remotely this season. If I remember correctly, Kaori is one of them and she said it was difficult, but Yuzuru has done similarly before so I think anything is possible. He may want to use his old programs from younger days, I am not even surprised if he choreographs on his own. I welcome anything at this point as long as I can see him skate :)