Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 131 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And the gala.... and Notte Stellata in honour of Brian's father who recently passed away.

Just beautiful.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sad... the drought is going to be verrrry long this year :sad21: They are all missed, but Yuzu being our reclusive Yuzu, the shows were our chance to see him.

I'll rewatch last year's...

pianistliz

On the Ice
This is stunning, someone combined the moments in Yuzu's message with the originals....

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4502059946626916#&video

Ther's something almost eerie about it.

WOW, AMAZING.

I haven't watched much figure skating since 4CC. I saw 2017 Hope and Legacy a few days ago, very bittersweet for me. I had been very sick for years, then improved somewhat, and Yuzu was my inspiration every step of the way as I renewed my piano performance career last year. I itentified with his competitive personality, his approach to interpretation, the way he pours himself out for his audience, and the way he transformed into something otherworldly in every competition and performance. I took recordings of his Romeo and Juliet, Hope and Legacy, Semei, Otonal, and Parisian Walkways everywhere I went, and I performed on several world-class stages with him as my inspiration. It was a dream year. But this winter I relapsed hard enough to firmly realize that playing virtuosic pieces on the piano is bad for my health. Shoot, any kind of work is bad for my health...I really love work so I'd been in denial. But I want to be around for my husband and family, so I'm retiring (weird to say, since I'm 28 and always said I'd never retire). It has felt weird watching Yuzu's videos more recently, as a pure spectator instead of as someone planning to use them as fuel to inspire my next big project. When I watch them, they inspire me and I want to jump right on the piano. My new challenge is to take the inspiration but channel it in a different way. Life is about the process, not the destination, and world-class athletes and artists know that better than anyone. So I will continue to follow his journey and find hope and inspiration, but instead of converting that inspiration into big music projects, I will look for less energetic ways to encourage my friends around me, be more thoughtful (who's more thoughtful than Yuzu?), and create beauty, things I can do no matter what my health does. Because the key to a rich life is to be mindful, embrace your circumstances, then be proactive and reach out to others amidst them. That's what inspiring figure skaters like Yuzu and Jason and others are doing now during the uncertainty of this pandemic, and it's what I am challenging myself to do as well. Life is too short to deny an opportunity to grow.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WOW, AMAZING.

I haven't watched much figure skating since 4CC. I saw 2017 Hope and Legacy a few days ago, very bittersweet for me. I had been very sick for years, then improved somewhat, and Yuzu was my inspiration every step of the way as I renewed my piano performance career last year. I itentified with his competitive personality, his approach to interpretation, the way he pours himself out for his audience, and the way he transformed into something otherworldly in every competition and performance. I took recordings of his Romeo and Juliet, Hope and Legacy, Semei, Otonal, and Parisian Walkways everywhere I went, and I performed on several world-class stages with him as my inspiration. It was a dream year. But this winter I relapsed hard enough to firmly realize that playing virtuosic pieces on the piano is bad for my health. Shoot, any kind of work is bad for my health...I really love work so I'd been in denial. But I want to be around for my husband and family, so I'm retiring (weird to say, since I'm 28 and always said I'd never retire). It has felt weird watching Yuzu's videos more recently, as a pure spectator instead of as someone planning to use them as fuel to inspire my next big project. When I watch them, they inspire me and I want to jump right on the piano. My new challenge is to take the inspiration but channel it in a different way. Life is about the process, not the destination, and world-class athletes and artists know that better than anyone. So I will continue to follow his journey and find hope and inspiration, but instead of converting that inspiration into big music projects, I will look for less energetic ways to encourage my friends around me, be more thoughtful (who's more thoughtful than Yuzu?), and create beauty, things I can do no matter what my health does. Because the key to a rich life is to be mindful, embrace your circumstances, then be proactive and reach out to others amidst them. That's what inspiring figure skaters like Yuzu and Jason and others are doing now during the uncertainty of this pandemic, and it's what I am challenging myself to do as well. Life is too short to deny an opportunity to grow.

That's lovely! He does inspire people, so many people, across the world (I am currently marvelling at the art of MarinRen on twitter at https://twitter.com/Marinarzm) and I am so glad he inspires you too!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sadly that video is unavailable for me :(.

I have VPN (got it last year, kept it for the ice shows... which we won't have :cry:) I wish Yuzu would put up another message, any message... I'd even take "I like cats" again, just to see that he is safe and well.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
An article from MatchTV really waxing lyrical about Yuzu.

https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...oiskhozhdenija_Chem_pokoril_mir_Judzuru_Khanu

I don't have a proper translation but Google translate gives you the gist (along with priceless gems like "cascade of quadruple sheepskin" :laugh:) strewn with samurai, demigod and extraterrestrial references :biggrin: and an acknowledgment of his unique value to the sport as a whole...

Even in dodgy translation, it was fun :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I believe one of the photo books, the print run is already sold out. Does anyone know, does Yuzu himself get a piece of the profits for all these? He really should, he is so doing his bit for the Japanese economy :laugh: even when off the ice.

Unfortunately in the present posting from Japan to Australia is fraught so I may have to wait till later and see what is still available. :sad21:

ankifeather

Final Flight
I believe one of the photo books, the print run is already sold out. Does anyone know, does Yuzu himself get a piece of the profits for all these? He really should, he is so doing his bit for the Japanese economy :laugh: even when off the ice.

Unfortunately in the present posting from Japan to Australia is fraught so I may have to wait till later and see what is still available. :sad21:

I think he gets a share of the profit if he endorsed the photobook.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
https://youtu.be/MKqmRya3788?t=101 A professional Japanese ballet dancer who lives in the US, reacts to Yuzuru's Ballade SP. -Sorry, it's in Japanese, but he gets really animated and is very complementary about Yuzu's performance.

The poster says just below "actually 95% of his explanation is just fanboying haha xD". Appears there's a bit of that going on at the minute, which is lovely.

But maybe someone will translate for us!

(PS - that dancer is rather gorgeous himself, I may look for him dancing...)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So.... with skaters slowly emerging from the wastelands and rinks slowly opening, when do people think we might get the barest glimpse of Yuzuru?

We miss him so much...

yude

Record Breaker
So.... with skaters slowly emerging from the wastelands and rinks slowly opening, when do people think we might get the barest glimpse of Yuzuru?

We miss him so much...

It seems skaters in Japan have also started training on the ice, I hope Yuzuru is healthy and has chance to skate wherever he is :)

(Honestly I've started to forget how to post in English recently, which makes me realize that Yuzuru has always given me the connection with English for a long time.)