Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I think it depends on each of us to call the whole situation as "conspiracy theories" or not, but Japanese judges have done that many times and sometimes I cringe. But yes, they may simply think Japanese skaters are inferior to the skaters from other countries.

Hello, please excuse me, may it not be an expression of Japanese cultural humility when addressing other people? Yet, on one hand, shouldn't the rest of the panel adapt themselves to this cultural particularity and compensate? While they are doing the opposite; and, should not the Japanese federation be warned of the consequences of such humility in scoring, particularly when it gets to these extremes?

ankifeather

Final Flight
Exactly. Not to mention that Yuzuru is the biggest cash cow that the ISU and the JSF has! What would either organization possibly have to gain by not being on "his side?"

I understand fandom, but these conspiracy theories are ridiculous.

(Apologies, I just realized this was the fan thread. Just responding to a post here.)

Hmm.. I never mentioned the ISU. As for JSF, just this GPF the Japanese judge gave Hanyu's FS four marks lower than his average mark (even other countries gave higher), the Japanese judge even gave him lower than average marks at the Olympics SP! His PCS at Skate Canada's SP & FS was higher than the PCS he got at NHK's SP and Saitama FS for the same cleanliness of skating. It's not a conspiracy, it is a simple statement of fact Japanese judges or Japanese stages are often 'not on his side' (what other phrase am I supposed to use for these types of occurrence?) And I already said it is not a specific Yuzu phenomenon, but frequently happens to the Japanese ladies too, and existed even before he came on the scene, so it is a JSF situation. As for what JSF has to gain from behaving opposite to other federations, you can only ask them.

Hello, please excuse me, may it not be an expression of Japanese cultural humility when addressing other people? Yet, on one hand, shouldn't the rest of the panel adapt themselves to this cultural particularity and compensate? While they are doing the opposite; and, should not the Japanese federation be warned of the consequences of such humility in scoring, particularly when it gets to these extremes?

Hi, welcome and please post often :thank:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

--I'm afraid I've got no answers for you there...but welcome to the thread, here's a nice photo of Yuzu and team Japan at the banquet https://twitter.com/chimay0099/status/1204369884005588992?s=20

pianistliz

On the Ice
Husband and I are officially going to men's free skate at world's. Just ordered tickets, lousy cheap ones but who cares! This is our one chance to see Yuzuru live, and attempt to make history at that! Please stay healthy, Yuzu!!!!!!!!!!

Husband and I are officially going to men's free skate at world's. Just ordered tickets, lousy cheap ones but who cares! This is our one chance to see Yuzuru live, and attempt to make history at that! Please stay healthy, Yuzu!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's great! have fun :)

Imov

Medalist

I hope you have lots of fun.

Can anybody tell me again when JNats is gonna be?

yude

Record Breaker

Hi, DizzyFrenchie, welcome to the fanfest :) I am not sure if I understand your question correctly (sorry, my English is not good enough) but I personally think the scoring of Japanese judges and the action of JSF has something to do with cultural aspect, to some extent. But it is just my opinion and I can't explain it well. Sorry if my answer is off the mark.

astaphta

Rinkside
Hmm.. I never mentioned the ISU. As for JSF, just this GPF the Japanese judge gave Hanyu's FS four marks lower than his average mark (even other countries gave higher), the Japanese judge even gave him lower than average marks at the Olympics SP! His PCS at Skate Canada's SP & FS was higher than the PCS he got at NHK's SP and Saitama FS for the same cleanliness of skating. It's not a conspiracy, it is a simple statement of fact Japanese judges or Japanese stages are often 'not on his side' (what other phrase am I supposed to use for these types of occurrence?) And I already said it is not a specific Yuzu phenomenon, but frequently happens to the Japanese ladies too, and existed even before he came on the scene, so it is a JSF situation. As for what JSF has to gain from behaving opposite to other federations, you can only ask them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, except that his scores don't bear out what you say. At NHK FS, what judge scored Hanyu highest? The Japanese judge (202). Same at NHK SP. At Skate Canada FS the Japanese judge gave him the second highest score (216) after the Austrian judge, at SP the third highest score.
Sorry to let facts get in the way of your little narrative.
Also: it makes no sense to say Japanese judges are "not on his side". They shouldn't be on anyone's side. On the whole Japanese judges are pretty fair. But they still tend to favour Hanyu more than other judges, which is to be expected.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I feel that people like the drama be intensified around Yuzu's loss at GPF when I read this article from Phil Hersh:
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/yuzuru-hanyu-brian-orser/
Or the one from Jack Gallagher:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...la-defeat-ascending-nathan-chen/#.XfEC5i3Myb8

I don't want unnecessary extra pressure on his shoulders but I'm afraid he will have to bear it as it sounds :sad21:

The good news is that Brian is going to be present in All Japan competition :biggrin:
Those two love any drama. :unsure:
I hope the trip goes smoothly this time for Nationals and that Yuzu doesn’t bother to read the English articles.