Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 92 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

Imov

Medalist
https://twitter.com/karelyss02/status/1204267484636962819 We don’t often hear from Gislain, here’s an interview where he shares a little about working with Yuzu

I was shook when I saw that he was Elvis's Coach. I remember before Doug Haw said that he thought Elvis has a very strong mental mindset but Yuzu topped that. Now I begin to wonder was the common factor between them was Mr. Ghislain Briand?
And I remember I saw a magazane article that he and Brian go way back. They were even caught up in a car accident together to which as tragic it may sound built their friendship closer. I cannot find the link though sorry ^^.

Yuzu is fortunate to have an olympic medalist plus mr. triple axel coach (Brian) and a mental strength pro (Ghislain) who are good friends helping him. Even if some judges try to bring him down.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Thank you, Yude, for your welcome!

Farnaz, I read the first link until the "disappointing SP performance". He never skated this short program so well as this GPF, except one mistake, and was rewarded by a ridiculous score. Then I stopped with the crap. I didn't go much farther on the second. A "formula"? He wants nothing more to win, than fair judgment. I wonder who believe those journalists?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Despite a super effort in his free skate to “Origin,” Hanyu lost by nearly 44 points to the two-time defending world champion on one of the biggest stages of the season.

The last time Hanyu finished that far back of the winner was as a 14-year-old in 2009 at the world junior championships, where he was 12th behind victor Adam Rippon.

Aaaaand, they completely neglect to mention that he got silver, which he's done many times since 2009, and is nowhere near 12th! :laugh:

I could imagine some little site like the Muckraking Daily News writing an article based on this with the headline, "Yuzuru Hanyu Gets 12th Place at Grand Prix Final". :laugh: He did so badly that he finished behind all the juniors, too. :eekn:

At least they mention the dodgy scoring.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
One thing I forgot to ask.
His FS was rather rougher than his "usual", which may deceive me, but I had the impression he had changed the music recording. I mean, it is still Origin, the same cuts, but I felt it had been recorded again, and played differently. Do you think so?

yude

Record Breaker
I feel like I've been seeing new drama every morning recently, but this time it was about Yuzuru's coachless situation at GPF so I read Phil's article while I don't read him usually. (and I haven't read Jack's :laugh:)

This is Phil's writing and there are actual Brian's words and I believe that, but I am not surprised if those were taken out of context. But it seems Brian and JSF had some kind of miscommunication. I hope it won't happen again, that's all what I can say. (if I confess, I had been wondering how often they keep in touch with each other, and my guess is not that often.)

I wonder, if Shirota was a JSF member now, what would she do to all Yuzuru's circumstances lately? She was a person who made a direct appeal to Cinquanta and asked if Mao could compete in Turin Olympics. I know she has antis, but she looks to me she had power and guts, which the current JSF doesn't have.

Thank you, Yude, for your welcome!

Farnaz, I read the first link until the "disappointing SP performance". He never skated this short program so well as this GPF, except one mistake, and was rewarded by a ridiculous score. Then I stopped with the crap. I didn't go much farther on the second. A "formula"? He wants nothing more to win, than fair judgment. I wonder who believe those journalists?

Well, Phil Hersh has always been a jump lover and the only voice that was shouting to FS community of US to up the technical content. We are talking about the time that US was trying to lower the impact of technical content so their skaters that didn't have a quad jump have a chance at international stage. So, you can imagine how thrilled he was when Nathan and Vincent came to the stage.

What saddens me is the pressure that Yuzu has to go through. The fact that they keep count of times Yuzu loses, "Yay, one more!". When Yuzu was surpassing Patrick Chan, Chan was still the mesmerizing performer, the master of blades. In case of Yuzu, you just see the effort to write him off. They want him to stay so they sell tickets but they want to seize that opportunity for the younger generation to shine. They want him in the respectable older generation position. I can't imagine the pressure he will be burdened with going towards Worlds.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Well, Phil Hersh has always been a jump lover and the only voice that was shouting to FS community of US to up the technical content. We are talking about the time that US was trying to lower the impact of technical content so their skaters that didn't have a quad jump have a chance at international stage. So, you can imagine how thrilled he was when Nathan and Vincent came to the stage.

What saddens me is the pressure that Yuzu has to go through. The fact that they keep count of times Yuzu loses, "Yay, one more!". When Yuzu was surpassing Patrick Chan, Chan was still the mesmerizing performer, the master of blades. In case of Yuzu, you just see the effort to write him off. They want him to stay so they sell tickets but they want to seize that opportunity for the younger generation to shine. They want him in the respectable older generation position. I can't imagine the pressure he will be burdened with going towards Worlds.

I rather see his not liking Yuzuru Hanyu at all, than any love for jumps : Yuzuru Hanyu's jumps are higher, longer and of course cleaner and smoother than Nathan Chen's, and he has as many, so if he was driven by a love of jumps, he would praise Hanyu more than Chen. It is not as if Hanyu was weaker in jumps and better in components, like Jason Brown : he is way better in both. Not to speak of spins and step sequences, in spite of Chen's recent great progresses.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I rather see his not liking Yuzuru Hanyu at all, than any love for jumps : Yuzuru Hanyu's jumps are higher, longer and of course cleaner and smoother than Nathan Chen's, and he has as many, so if he was driven by a love of jumps, he would praise Hanyu more than Chen. It is not as if Hanyu was weaker in jumps and better in components, like Jason Brown : he is way better in both. Not to speak of spins and step sequences, in spite of Chen's recent great progresses.

Hersh has written positively about Yuzu before, and from this tweet, he doesn't sound like someone who doesn't like Yuzu at all: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1188460210429542400?s=20

'Just watched Yuzuru Hanyu wonderful free at #SCI19. It completed Hanyu’s best two-program performance since his landmark of brilliance at 2015 Grand Prix Final. If Hanyu keeps skating like that, Nathan Chen may have to try six quads again.'

Hersh has written positively about Yuzu before, and from this tweet, he doesn't sound like someone who doesn't like Yuzu at all: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1188460210429542400?s=20

'Just watched Yuzuru Hanyu wonderful free at #SCI19. It completed Hanyu’s best two-program performance since his landmark of brilliance at 2015 Grand Prix Final. If Hanyu keeps skating like that, Nathan Chen may have to try six quads again.'

I agree! What I meant was that regarding Hersh' history on the kind of programs that he liked and the path that he liked the US figure skating had taken, it was understandable that he was so thrilled when Nathan and Vincent came to the world stage.

On the other hand, I feel it's not deniable that journalists like to create drama where there is none. I feel they are creating extra and unnecessary pressure on the skaters and here explicitly on Yuzu :noshake: Of course, it's always possible that I'm looking at things through a pair of fan glasses :)

kiches

Final Flight
Phil Hersh likes to give a lot of begrudging or backhanded compliments to Yuzu and even other skaters and has been outright insulting in his articles and in his tweets before. He’s more of a sensationalist and US promoter (he is a part of the media after all) and doesn’t seem to have a deep knowledge on the sport itself. To me it doesn’t matter if he’s written positively about someone in the past if he can turn around and be insulting the next second for no reason (to both Yuzu and to his fans).

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Phil Hersh is part of the US media hype machine. Between an American and non American skater, he would hype up the American skater. Which is to be expected.

It's pretty obvious & it would be naive to think otherwise . An example of American who tries to be neutral in his analysis is Jackie Wong @rockerskating.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Have we shared this interview after FS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHP-FDI85dQ

He knows we were as nervous as him for 4Lz :laugh:

He's so animated talking about the loop and the lz.
There have been legitimate worries from fans and other observers about the wisdom of going for the 4A in competition. it's hella scary, and dangerous.
But it may have put Yuzu's mind off of the intense pressure to get the loop and the lutz in order. When playing a video game, one way to excel is to put the difficulty up way too high, and then turn it down again.

Last edited: