Just So Likeable... | Golden Skate

Just So Likeable...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A silly but fun (well, to me) question...

We were talking on the Yuzu/GOAT thread about charisma and likeability and greatest status (obviously, the three are NOT synonymous, no matter how starry-eyed we all are about our favourites).

And a couple of names popped into my head of skaters who for me do have enormous charisma and likability, but who never made gold at a major competition, but who I would happily watch for ages, way more than greater and much medalled skaters (no, we are not talking Eddie the Eagles here, I doubt there was ever an Eddie in major skating competition... pity) These people were or are good, maybe never made top flight internationally but just for me have the 'it' factor: warmth, sheer lovability, aura, quirkiness, sheer beauty, sex appeal, any or all of them.

Like Elladj Balde, whose segments in Fantasy on Ice are a highlight even again the horde of Olympians also there, because he comes across as such a lovely and heartwarming personality. And my own personal favourite ice dancers ever, Nelli Zhiganshina & Alexander Gazsi because they are always always fun (and they brought zombies, stylish zombies)

So (because the heights have their own charisma and we want other names) leaving out all those who medalled at Worlds and Olympics, or got gold at Europeans, 4CC or GPF, who are your go-to feel-good skaters? The ones that you love not because they wildly impress you with feats and scores and such, but because watching them simply makes your day better?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shoma Uno, Sergei Voronov, Keegan Messing, Michal Brezina, Alina Zagitova (I know she is the super-star, but she makes me so happy), Carolina Costner, DellaMonica&Guarise

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It must be Nobunari Oda for me. Who to this day, shows off his astounding skating, quads, 3A's and spins at Japan open.
He never won GPF or medaled at worlds, but he's lovable and crazy talented.
His career really took off after he retired because of his sparkling personality. You can see him eat food, comment on sports and generally be himself on TV most days.
Here he is kicking butt at Japan Open last year skating to YMCA. 31 years old but looks like a teen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDkDpLPI1ZQ
Quad combo -check
3A -Check
Spins to YMCA check!
:luv17:

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Shoma Uno, Sergei Voronov, Keegan Messing, Michal Brezina, Alina Zagitova (I know she is the super-star, but she makes me so happy), Carolina Costner, DellaMonica&Guarise

Shoma and Alina didn't meet the leaving out all who medalled bit (I musy highlight it, sorry) but I like your list anyway :luv17:

It must be Nobunari Oda for me. Who to this day, shows off his astounding skating, quads, 3A's and spins at Japan open.

Oh soooooo yes for Nobu, his ice show pieces this year were exactly what I was talking about!

Weathergal

Medalist
There are so many skaters who come to mind, but the first person I thought of was Misha Ge.

TallyT, love your answer of Zhiganshina / Gaszi, by the way! And Elladj Balde!

Also Ivan Righini.

I'll toss in the name of Gary Beacom. (We did say quirkiness was one o the criteria, right?)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gary Beacom, Ryan Bradley, Dan Hollander

LadyB

Record Breaker
So (because the heights have their own charisma and we want other names) leaving out all those who medalled at Worlds and Olympics, or got gold at Europeans, 4CC or GPF, who are your go-to feel-good skaters? The ones that you love not because they wildly impress you with feats and scores and such, but because watching them simply makes your day better?

If it's only gold medallists to be left out for 4CC and GPF, then it has to be Piper and Paul. I could watch them for days on end. They've got it all for me: beautiful performers, interesting characters, a certain cuteness about them...

Other than that definitely Sergei Voronov and I always feel good when I see Paul Fentz. Don't ask me why, but there is something very likeable about him (at least to my mind).

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Misha Ge, Jason Brown, Kevin Aymoz, Keegan Messing, Donovan Carrillo, Deniss Vasiljevs, Elladj Balde, Piper & Paul, Anna & Luca, Valentina & Ondrej (especially in their last season), Kaitlyn & Andrew, Alexa & Chris, Zhiganshina / Gaszi - Frankly they are THE reasons I watch figure skating ... I don't care so much about medals any more these days.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Kazuki Tomono for sure :) I saw his NHK 2017 performance, and immediately liked him.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
What a lovely idea for a thread. There's loads of repeats in my list, but no matter, I wish to mention them anyway. I'll start with Donovan Carillo whose WC 2018 Free Skate I often rewatch because of the joyful way it is performed. He makes me smile every time. Keegan Messing is another favourite, as are Jason Brown, Misha Gé and Noburi Oda (his YMCA Japan Open skate is wonderful) who all exude charisma and happiness. Sergei Voronov can make my day, while I adored Adam Rippon. Among the ladies Loena Hendrikx is a big favourite, and so is Rika Honda whom regrettably we hardly see in the International scene nowadays. Valentina and Ondrej turn up immediately when thinking about pairs, as do Alexandra and Dmitrii (since last season). For some reason Ashley and Timothy also come to mind when talking about charisma and something different. Vanessa and Morgan are favourites as well but perhaps not allowed here, as they do have a worlds medal but also a European title and a GPF title. Piper and Paul score high with me among the dancers, as do Tiffany and Jonathan. Really missed them last season. I tend to like Italian dancers a lot too who often show a lot of playfulness in their dances.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
This should be a pretty long list, just going off the top of my head for now:

- Jason Brown (You cannot not smile along with his infectious joy)
- Kevin Aymoz (To indirectly quote Beatrice, he has more character and flare than a lot of modern dancers)
- Piper and Paul (They are fascinating to watch both on and off the ice)
- Cha Junhwan (Yes, I cannot be more biased, but seeing him being a 17-year-old on instagram makes my day brighter)
- Cappellini/Lanotte (They have that brightness about them)
- Tomono Kazuki (Again, am biased, but he is just so charming both on and off the ice. Kawaii in the best sense)
- Kim Haejin (Among other things, she looked so calm and peaceful during jumps, sometimes even with a faint smile. And she was great as a commentator for the Olympics, wish she'd do commentary more often)
- Sasha Boilkova and Mitya Kozlovskii (See Mitya's fistpumps and Sasha's smile when she lands throw jumps, they just become your faves)

Ulrica

On the Ice
Jason Brown, Donovan Carrillo, Keegan Messing, Alexei Bychenko, they are all a joy to watch
And Ivett Toth! how could i forget her and her epic AC/DC SP

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Off the top of my head, a few that haven't been mentioned yet: Ivett Toth, Loena Hendrickx, Muramoto/Reed, Carriera/Ponomarenko, Peng/Jin.

Jetta

Rinkside
Without much thought the two that immediately come to mind are Jason Brown and Ryan Bradley. Both a joy to watch.