Can't do Adult LTS Level 5 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can't do Adult LTS Level 5

sarahariz

Rinkside
Fellow adult learner here! Have you tried doing things with padding?
I have not, although my main fear in a fall is dislocating my shoulder, which no padding/contraption can stop from happening, according to my physical therapist. If anyone knows of something, let me know! My physical therapist says the best thing to do is tape it, which she can do (I can't do it by myself because of the angles involved). I may get it taped before I go to Sun Valley Adult Camp, but last time I got it taped it pulled my neck out of alignment! That said, I think I'll look into at least something for my head.

sarahariz

Rinkside
I'm going to suggest something unorthodox. I have had similar issues with painfully slow progress. I started roller skating. Artistic roller skating. This did set me back skillwise as I had to relearn a lot of basic again (not that I had progressed that far) but I really started to get the lean and feel the power of it. My roller dance coach had me do stroking only for at least a month on good outside edges, hips square to the tracing.

When I got back on ice the difference was amazing.

Roller is harder to get the edges especially if your equipment is not correctly setup. Your weight transfer MUST be correct or it will not happen. This is the gift it gave me to. I learnt to actually feel the power of the edge in my palms but without muscling through a lot of moves with my upper body.

Plus now I get to spend the summers skating at the boardwalk rather than just spending it at the rink hammering at 3 turns. 3 turns took me 14 months after which my ice coach skated a victory lap.

Interesting! We don't have a roller skating rink where I live. Did you fall as much roller skating as ice skating? Like when learning edges?