Most Falls in a Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most Falls in a Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Laetitia Hubert had several unfortunate skates as a result of nerves. Like Anna P., it was heart wrenching to watch as we all knew this did not represent their true abilities.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
:coffee: It seems "Winter" is one of the leading programs, when people start to talk about the best programs ever, but after the Goodwill Games somebody was saying to Tarasova, that this program was awful, that Yagudin needed another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAOUJaC_w2c
OT, but to be totally honest I think Gladiator was a better program from him.

Maé-Bérénice Méité in her 2014 Worlds FS had four falls.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Tanja Szewczenko had some falls in 1995. I was sad for her, especially since she was skating for her own public and people were already saying she shouldn't have won nationals etc, there was also the pressure of being the reigning worlds bronze medallist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOe0qBUt_M

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Tanja Szewczenko had some falls in 1995. I was sad for her, especially since she was skating for her own public and people were already saying she shouldn't have won nationals etc, there was also the pressure of being the reigning worlds bronze medallist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOe0qBUt_M

Her illness started to appear at that time if I remember correctly. Just recently I saw a German docu and article about it, where she talked about how she nearly died in 1996, after one year of visiting doctors, because the doctors could not diagnose her illness at first.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
when i saw the title i thought immediately of Anna Pogorilaya. i liked her a lot so every performance felt like a russian roulette and everytime she bombed a program it was so heartbreaking, her fall looked also very scary, she didn't fall, she splatted on ice, her name became synonymous of fall, pogofall, so sad for an athlete who was able to grab major medals:(

Scout

Final Flight
It is hard to get the meaning of this tread...

Here's how I chose to use this thread, which is the same as what others have alluded to earlier:

I competed this year (adult skater, low level). I fell three times. It kind of sucks, but reading this thread reminds me that I'm in good company :) No one's perfect, even Olympic and World medalists have REALLY bad days, and that's ok. Some pretty phenomenal success came after some really horrible competitions.

Amei

Record Breaker
when i saw the title i thought immediately of Anna Pogorilaya. i liked her a lot so every performance felt like a russian roulette and everytime she bombed a program it was so heartbreaking, her fall looked also very scary, she didn't fall, she splatted on ice, her name became synonymous of fall, pogofall, so sad for an athlete who was able to grab major medals:(

I always wondered after her super-dramatic reaction of her 2017 Worlds debacle - if she had the idea in her head or was told prior to 2017 Europeans/Worlds that if she had another meltdown it would pretty much spell the end of her chances at being named for either of those competitions given the depth of the Russian ladies.

withwings

On the Ice
Here's how I chose to use this thread, which is the same as what others have alluded to earlier:

I competed this year (adult skater, low level). I fell three times. It kind of sucks, but reading this thread reminds me that I'm in good company :) No one's perfect, even Olympic and World medalists have REALLY bad days, and that's ok. Some pretty phenomenal success came after some really horrible competitions.

:love::clap::clap:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Pretty sure some of Kolyada's performances belong in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Pogorilaya made falling into an art form.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
As others have said- all the skaters mentioned have also had incredible skates and have had great successes. Everyone has their off day. There are some days when nothing goes right. Getting up over and over again takes immense mental strength. I admire the skaters who keep getting up, even when they probably wish they could fast forward through the performance and just get it over with. That’s inspiring.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I always wondered after her super-dramatic reaction of her 2017 Worlds debacle - if she had the idea in her head or was told prior to 2017 Europeans/Worlds that if she had another meltdown it would pretty much spell the end of her chances at being named for either of those competitions given the depth of the Russian ladies.

that's very likely, at least the idea part. in her place everyone would have :(

Same here. It's sad that, if you search for her performances on YouTube, many have her falling as the thumbnail preview.

i still remember one of the 2015/16 season with her in firebird costume totally splatted on ice :(

Triple loop

Rinkside
I found it very hard to watch American Elaine Zayak fall several times at the 1982 Nationals when she was defending her title. I think she did 2 triples successfully but the rest of the program was a disaster. She didn't come out immediately to receive her bronze medal and she was booed for that. However, thank goodness, she held her head high and succeeded at the 1982 worlds in Copenhagen. She didn't miss a beat. I was so proud that she came back to win her world championships. :)

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
As others have said- all the skaters mentioned have also had incredible skates and have had great successes. Everyone has their off day. There are some days when nothing goes right. Getting up over and over again takes immense mental strength. I admire the skaters who keep getting up, even when they probably wish they could fast forward through the performance and just get it over with. That’s inspiring.

The most falls I've seen in person were at JGP in Ostrava (Daniel Mrazek, 4 falls + a missed combo). The JGP being in the Czech Republic and him being a Czech skater we really cheered so much for him at the beginning. And then with the falls we cheered again for him to keep fighting and to finish the program better than it started.... And than there was an interview with him. And he said something along the lines: "towards the end I kind of gave up, the public gave up..." And I thought that we didn't, but it just shows how difficult it is to just finish the program. :(

A while ago on Twitter, we tried to find protocols from Javi's JGPs... As far as I know JGP in 2006 in Amsterdam was his first. He had five falls. Not a single element with positive goe... I remember an interview where Javi was talking about his beginnings and he said that a skater before him had a terrible skate. And Javi's father said: If my kid does something similar, I won't survive it. And well, Javi had that skate - and they survived it. Later on, Javi said that three falls are his limit. Should he fall more than that, he will stop and apologize to the judges and the public ;) (but of course it didn't happen)

a bit off topic:
If you are interested, in the 2006 Amsterdam JGP protocols you can find Severin Kiefer, Ruben Blommaert, Morgan Cipres, Marco Fabbri, Vanessa James - all in singles. And Michal Brezina, Denis Ten and Alexander Majorov were also there.
For some reason a direct link doesn't function: click on this link: https://web.archive.org/web/2007052...007/kunstrijden/juniorgrandprix/index_eng.asp then choose "results" in the blue field, then the link "starting order/result details" and then you finally arrive to the pdfs with protocols.

katymay

Medalist
Before Pogo....there was Irina Slutskaya. I have never been able to find this performance on You Tube, but she was a junior, and it was a televised competition with Dick Button doing the play by play. She fell on almost every jump. As she was sitting in the kiss and cry, Dick said something like, "oh there will be tears of course..." The camera zoomed in, but when she looked up she was laughing. I fell in love with her at that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.