Carreira & Ponomarenko interview. more hiphop, faster music? | Golden Skate

Carreira & Ponomarenko interview. more hiphop, faster music?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko were recently interviewed by Jacquelyn Thayer.

https://www.twofortheice.com/carreira-and-ponomarenko-strive-to-highlight-strengths/

The interview raises several interesting points, worthy of discussion.

Apparently, hiphop dance classes are now part of the schedule for ice dance teams.

the two believe it confers some key benefits.

“I think it helps us move more freely on the ice,” said Carreira.

“And I think the sport of ice dance has really evolved because of it,” added Ponomarenko. “We’re using music in this day and age that we wouldn’t use ten years ago, and it’s really cool to see how ice dance has evolved.”

The team also acknowledges something we all know, but so few teams admit to. They are more comfortable with some rhythms than others. Carreira and Ponomarenko are more comfortable with

It’s more comfortable for us to skate Latin and flamenco and swing rhythms.”

“It’s easier for us to skate to fast and upbeat music than slow,” agreed Carreira.

They picked a lyrical program last year to "try something new" to extend their range.

In current years, when so many teams are doing so many lyrical programs, I am glad there are still some that like to skate to faster music!

And they give some insight to the greatness of Christopher Dean as a choreographer. It is even worthwhile to have him add moves to your exciting programs!

And while Shpilband took the choreographic lead on both programs, the team has consulted as well with Massimo Scali and, during a week in Colorado Springs, Christopher Dean — “a figure skating genius,” in Ponomarenko’s words.

“It was awesome,” said Carreira. “He’s so good at what he does. He makes moves that I don’t think anyone else would think about.”

T&D, greatest of all time :)

I hope you enjoy the interview.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are really a bubbly and playful team. While I love slow, lyrical, and meaningful pieces (i.e. Gilles/Poirier's "Vincent") it's refreshing to see more upbeat routines to break up the monotony a bit ;)

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hip hop is a deceptively difficult style to master.
But I'd love to see more skaters try. It can't be all soft and flowy, dramatic reach into the distance and gaze into each others eyes all the time. :biggrin:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think C/P are ready to take the next step and start challenging for that 3rd spot at Worlds i feel they have the most upside of the younger teams including H/B.

Weathergal

Medalist
I really like this team. To me, they have not just talent but also that "special something." I enjoyed last season's free dance, which included Tokio Myers' "Bloodstream," even if they felt it wasn't entirely in their wheelhouse. I agree with others who have said it's great to see them bring something a little different and funky to ice dance. And I also agree that lyrical can be beautiful -- Papadakis / Cizeron's "To Build a Home," Gilles / Poirier's "Vincent," -- but it can also be overdone. I think that's one of the reasons why programs like Fear / Gibson's "Disco Medley" were so popular -- audiences are craving some variety and something more upbeat. (Well...that and it was a really well-done, fun program!)

Wishing Carreira / Ponomarenko much success this year!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Per Anthony's instagram, that Carreira & Ponomarenko are going to be at Lake Placid Ice Dance too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
question : i admit not having listened to the interview... maybe there's nothing about my question in there anyways

How is Carreira now dealing with immigration?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is a written interview, not filmed.

They train in Detroit, so there is not the problem she would have with establishing residency as if they trained in another country. It only becomes an issue for Olympics, in any case.

composer

On the Ice
It is a written interview, not filmed.

They train in Detroit, so there is not the problem she would have with establishing residency as if they trained in another country. It only becomes an issue for Olympics, in any case.

They really need to start thinking about it now. Usually the US requires 5 years of permanent residency before a person can naturalize, and from what I understand Christina doesn’t have a green card yet. This would rule them out for Beijing already unless something really unusual happens. Unfortunately she isn’t Norwegian but maybe she can scare up some Scandinavian ancestry. 😈

chameleon

On the Ice
Last I heard, her case is still being fought in the courts. It seems unfair that she and Krasnozhon applied for the same special exemption and he got his green card already but she's having to fight it out.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am sure you are right about that.

It would be easier for him to skate for Russia, if not for the US.

larat

On the Ice
I am sure you are right about that.

It would be easier for him to skate for Russia, if not for the US.

yes. It would be easier for Carreira to get russian citizenship but situation in Russia a bit more competitive for them. Anyway, they should do something soon. It would be to bad to miss Oly because of this issue.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
USA dance is quite competitive
Hubbell & Donohue
Chock & Bates
Hawayek & Baker
McNamara & Carpenter
Parsons & Green
and Nguyen & Kolesnik up & coming
Browns up & coming
Wolfkostin & Chen up & coming

Last edited:

larat

On the Ice
USA dance is quite competitive
Hubbell & Donohue
Chock & Bates
Hawayek & Baker
McNamara & Carpenter
Parsons & Green
and Nguyen & Kolesnik up & coming
Browns up & coming
Wolfkostin & Chen up & coming

I just think they have a much better shot in US vs Russia giving the competition. I think many of these teams are not a competition to them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Russia's top two teams are excellent, of course.

The rest, not close to the top two, although I am fond of several of them.

The situation is similar in the US.

Plus in the US, the Shibutanis might decide to return....

Last edited:

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Like this some lovely choreo.With great attack later in the season this will be great. Didn't like the cartwheel move I thought it looked out of place in the dance.Any video of the RD please?