Cleopatra programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cleopatra programs

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Blame the Victorians.

Might as well, We blame them for everything else. :laugh:

I would like to ban the use of Cleopatra Hands from all skating, especially those programs that are vaguely Indian or Oriental (a term I am using deliberately in this case), and have absolutely no historical or even logical connection to Cleopatra in any way, shape, or form.

Or maybe not. I can use the laughs.

Don’t forget to purge those Bangles records you probably still have in your attic from back the 80s. :laugh2: They deserve most of the blame for “teaching” the masses how to walk like am Egyptian.

macy

Record Breaker

elegance

Words are my skates.
Rinkside
kaetlyn's dress doesn't even compare :love:

It's more Greek than those mentioned above thanks to its colour. The Minoans/Keftiyu of ancient Crete produced murex cloth, which is what made royal purple so famous. (Shout-out to Bettany Hughes.)

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to ban the use of Cleopatra Hands from all skating, especially those programs that are vaguely Indian or Oriental (a term I am using deliberately in this case), and have absolutely no historical or even logical connection to Cleopatra in any way, shape, or form.

Many times the arms are superficial and don't add much to the interpretation. I do like the arms on Phaneuf, Trenary & Barber & Slater. They were either in character, tasteful, musical, or explored movement possibilities and I find them acceptable.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
kaetlyn's dress doesn't even compare :love:

I should have separated Laurine & Katelyn in this post. I merely meant to add them to the list of programs in this style and not part of the costume discussion. I will fix this...

viennaskater

Medalist

I really liked Davis/White's 'Bollywood' OD in 2010, and Pechelat/Bourzat's 'Egyptian Mummy' FD (forget when it was).

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked Davis/White's 'Bollywood' OD in 2010, and Pechelat/Bourzat's 'Egyptian Mummy' FD (forget when it was).

Meryl & Charlie's program is one of my best cases for how to do arms right! I loved how exotic and beautiful Meryl looked and Charlie's coat(?) looked stunning.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada