Saw a man named Armstrong... | Golden Skate

Saw a man named Armstrong...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Because it's the 20th here, and so I have to ask...

For those of you old enough, do you remember that moment? I was a small child in a school in Australia, where they dragged their few black and white TVs into the biggest rooms available so every child could be gathered up and get a good view of the screen, and we sat on cold wooden floors while our legs got stiff and didn't even notice, so riveted to the screen and that small, grainy, flickering picture of a man setting foot on another world.

Have never, will never, forget it.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wish!! I was born fourteen years after the fact. :laugh:

How many moon expeditions have there been since the inaugural one of 1969? I feel like I recently read somewhere that it was back in the 1970s?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wish!! I was born fourteen years after the fact. :laugh:

I'm in the same boat. Too young.

But, I have often wondered if Neil Armstrong is a distant relation, because my Granny's maiden name was Armstrong. And Neil does have family ties to the county I am from (County Tyrone).

27[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012: "Distant Irish relatives mourn moonwalker Neil Armstrong" (Irish Central)
https://www.irishcentral.com/news/d...moonwalker-neil-armstrong-167530445-237525201

28[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2012: "A giant leap for an 'Ulsterman'... tributes to Neil Armstrong, the astronaut who was first to walk on the moon" (Belfast Telegraph)
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...o-was-first-to-walk-on-the-moon-28785887.html

19[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2017: "10 famous people with Irish family roots in Ulster" (Irish Post)
https://www.irishpost.com/life-style/10-famous-people-with-irish-family-roots-in-ulster-111636

That said, his family seems to be centred around the south-west of the county, whereas my family is centred around the north-east of the county. But, it's not like we're talking massive distances (40 miles, compared to the roughly 250,000 miles he travelled to get to the moon), so you never know! ;)

How many moon expeditions have there been since the inaugural one of 1969? I feel like I recently read somewhere that it was back in the 1970s?

There were only 6 missions where humans walked on the moon, with the last being in December 1972. So humans were only on the moon during a short period spanning less than 3½ years.

Here is a handy table summarising everything on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing#Human_Moon_landings

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Because it's the 20th here, and so I have to ask...

For those of you old enough, do you remember that moment? I was a small child in a school in Australia, where they dragged their few black and white TVs into the biggest rooms available so every child could be gathered up and get a good view of the screen, and we sat on cold wooden floors while our legs got stiff and didn't even notice, so riveted to the screen and that small, grainy, flickering picture of a man setting foot on another world.

Have never, will never, forget it.

I was 8, my dad dragged me out of bed in the middle of the night, he told me later.
I don't remember anything it ...

OniBan

Final Flight
I wasn't born yet when it happened - but I got a gist of how... big the moment is thanks to the excellent manga 20th Century Boy.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
For me it is a vivid memory
Neil Armstrong was a remarkable test pilot and the absolute best choice for the mission; he had an uncanny ability to think on his feet and had impeccable control and reflexes in the most dangerous situations.. his colleagues on the flight commented how they felt lucky he was with them..

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Just read on a news site a student who worked for NASA at the time bought the original video recordings of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing for like $200 and recently sold them for $1.6 Million.
Though the videos are probably still not as good in quality as the professional Hasselblad photos, these tapes that are the testimonies of one of mankind's most accomplished achievements were essentially dumped in the trash?