No break for Fournier-Beaudry Sorensen | Golden Skate

No break for Fournier-Beaudry Sorensen

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In this article https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2...laurence-fournier-beaudry-et-nikolaj-sorensen

Laurence and Nik are simply saying that despite the summer season finally arriving in Montreal, there is no time to chill... they are training hard at Gadbois to be at their best to earn a spot on the National team.

Nik explains that the competition in Canada is much deeper : 2200 CLUBS versus 1700 skaters.

They mention that Worlds haven't been in Montreal since 1932 and they do not want to miss their chance to skate at home, in front of friends and family.

They go back to what brought them from representing Denmark to switching for Canada, confirming that Nik will get his citizenship in 2020.

They dream to represent Canada at the Olympic games.

They know the competition is coming fast from two young teams also training in Quebec : Soucisse/Firus and Lajoie/Lagha.

There is no mention at this point in the article that Weaver/Poje may no longer compete... they even mention that they ranked 3rd at Nationals last year and that because Virtue and Moir are off, it gave them a chance to compete at worlds where they finish 10th, their best result ever.

Talking about Virtue and Moir, Laurence mentions that they were such an inspiration :

De voir leur comportement ensemble, comment ils travaillaient, leur éthique de travail... Ils étaient souriants et encourageaient tout le monde. Ils nous ont inspirés et nous ont aidés à mieux travailler ensemble.»

Seeing how they behaved together, how they trained, their work ethics... they were always smiling and cheered for everyone. They inspired us and they helped us to work better together...

I guess that's another perception from the one delivered by Gabby Papadakis in another article...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In this article https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2...laurence-fournier-beaudry-et-nikolaj-sorensen

Laurence and Nik are simply saying that despite the summer season finally arriving in Montreal, there is no time to chill... they are training hard at Gadbois to be at their best to earn a spot on the National team.

Nik explains that the competition in Canada is much deeper : 2200 CLUBS versus 1700 skaters.

They mention that Worlds haven't been in Montreal since 1932 and they do not want to miss their chance to skate at home, in front of friends and family.

They go back to what brought them from representing Denmark to switching for Canada, confirming that Nik will get his citizenship in 2020.

They dream to represent Canada at the Olympic games.

They know the competition is coming fast from two young teams also training in Quebec : Soucisse/Firus and Lajoie/Lagha.

There is no mention at this point in the article that Weaver/Poje may no longer compete... they even mention that they ranked 3rd at Nationals last year and that because Virtue and Moir are off, it gave them a chance to compete at worlds where they finish 10th, their best result ever.

Talking about Virtue and Moir, Laurence mentions that they were such an inspiration :

Seeing how they behaved together, how they trained, their work ethics... they were always smiling and cheered for everyone. They inspired us and they helped us to work better together...

I guess that's another perception from the one delivered by Gabby Papadakis in another article...

I'm glad for F/B-S! They are an excellent team and have the right attitude.

Also, wow to the quote, I distinctively remember saying that about the training environment with V/M in Gadbois in a previous thread. :dev3:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for linking this article and posting your translation, 4everchan. It's very enjoyable. I love this couple and always enjoy their skating.

I think Laurence and Nicolas' perception, as a team who weren't in toe-to-toe competition with Tessa and Scott for an Olympic Gold Medal, is of course going to be radically different from the way the dynamic changed for Papadakis and Cizeron. Still, this is why in their interview, Gaby and Guillaume chose to share their entire emotional journey from the time they first came to train in Montreal, not just a piece of it.

Gaby's sentence (below) has been misconstrued, in my opinion. To prevent its being misconstrued, in my opinion, is exactly why Guillaume clarified what Gaby meant:

[Gabriella: "And then Tessa and Scott came and everything changed."
[Guillaume]: "We didn't really know how to deal with this new dynamic. It's nobody's fault, not theirs, not ours. It was simply how it was.
From that moment on, we came here and we were in competition every day. It was a huge emotional burden."

The atmosphere changed for Gaby and Guillaume.

Gabriella then said:
We were used to trusting [our coaches], without thinking really. In the North American mentality, that's not how it works.

Here, Gaby clarified what she'd said earlier. If we take these three quotes as the whole story, so to speak, it means something very different than if we take the first short sentence without the context.

**** The above quotes are from Gotlev's tranlation of the interview with Gaby and Guillaume:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...eron-s-Very-Candid-Interview-re-Olympics-2018

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Sigh, I don't see how this is relevant for this thread about another team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you for linking this article and posting your translation, 4everchan. It's very enjoyable. I love this couple and always enjoy their skating.

I think Laurence and Nicolas' perception, as a team who weren't in toe-to-toe competition with Tessa and Scott for an Olympic Gold Medal, is of course going to be radically different from the way the dynamic changed for Papadakis and Cizeron. Still, this is why in their interview, Gaby and Guillaume chose to share their entire emotional journey from the time they first came to train in Montreal, not just a piece of it.

Gaby's sentence (below) has been misconstrued, in my opinion. To prevent its being misconstrued, in my opinion, is exactly why Guillaume clarified what Gaby meant:

The atmosphere changed for Gaby and Guillaume.

Gabriella then said:

Here, Gaby clarified what she'd said earlier. If we take these three quotes as the whole story, so to speak, it means something very different than if we take the first short sentence without the context.

**** The above quotes are from Gotlev's tranlation of the interview with Gaby and Guillaume:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...eron-s-Very-Candid-Interview-re-Olympics-2018

What about this article then... Hubbell-Donohue's perspective...as well as feedback from the other American teams now training at Gadbois. https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-champion-mentality-training-in-montreal.aspx

"It was motivating to train with Scott, he had such great energy," Donohue said

Dubreuil, who won two World silver ice dance medals with husband Lauzon, carefully vets each team that expresses interest in joining the Gadbois group. She and Lauzon discussed the new additions with Hubbell and Donohue prior to accepting them as students.

"We choose people, and not countries," Dubreuil said. "When we agree to work with teams, we take time to make sure they fit with the mentality and values of the school. For us, it's important to maintain a positive energy at the school and between the skaters, so we can keep the culture of excellence going and growing."

And one last quote
"Marie and Patch (Lauzon) preach that (the training group) is a team," Bates said. "And I think in figure skating, we don't have that very often. It's not really a team sport, but in that rink, that training environment, they've made it into a team sport. I think that's kind of part of the recipe for their success."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sigh, I don't see how this is relevant for this thread about another team.

I chose to start this as a new thread because my main focus is Fournier-Beaudry -Sorensen... I have followed them for a while as they trained in Montreal and I would get to see them at Autumn Classic and small events. Nik is one of the most beautiful person, (reversible beauty as I call them... inside and outside)... I have ever met, only topped by Laurence. They are very approachable and sweet.... genuine and willing to talk to fans.

While I was reading/translating some of the article, I noticed the clash from another thread I have been contributing to.... and yes, I felt it was refreshing to see the perspective of others. Perhaps, as skylark mentioned above, Nik and Lolo do not feel the pressure because they are not competing for the gold... but then I read another article from direct competitors H-D... which describes further the positive climate created by MF and Patrice.... I think many threads can have subtopics.... otherwise we would have 1000000 threads in the edge.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Of course, F-B&S have a different perspective on training with V&M. They were never in direct competition with them. Same as the Shibs have a different perspective on working with Davis & White than V&M had on working with D&W.

I do find that it is a lot of fun to see younger and/or developing teams getting to skate in the same space and/or travel and compete with top teams. You know, those very top dance teams have been at it so long that most of their early peers have moved on and the rest are serious competition. It is fun to see those top teams start connecting with upcoming athletes, especially the youngsters. Becoming leaders & role models. We get to see it every year at the GP Final where the JGPF competitors are there with the seniors.

Anyway, thank you for posting the interview. Appreciated:).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of course, F-B&S have a different perspective on training with V&M. They were never in direct competition with them. Same as the Shibs have a different perspective on working with Davis & White than V&M had on working with D&W.

I do find that it is a lot of fun to see younger and/or developing teams getting to skate in the same space and/or travel and compete with top teams. You know, those very top dance teams have been at it so long that most of their early peers have moved on and the rest are serious competition. It is fun to see those top teams start connecting with upcoming athletes, especially the youngsters. Becoming leaders & role models. We get to see it every year at the GP Final where the JGPF competitors are there with the seniors.

Anyway, thank you for posting the interview. Appreciated:).

you are welcome.. what do you think of H/D then... they are in direct rivalry now not only internationally with P/C but also nationally with C/B and H/B... yet they love the climate at Gadbois, loved training with tessa and scott.. .etc... i posted a couple more things up there because, as skylark mentioned, yeah.. fair enough... the Canes, likes i love calling them, are top ten.. not top 3... so fair enough.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
I am worried about Canada keeping 3 spots with Weaver & Poje retired, and this team is the key for this. The best Gilles & Poirier can be at worlds is 6th behind Papadakis & Cizeron, both Russian teams, Hubbell & Donohue, Chock & Bates, so that means even if G&P hit their maximum that Fournier-Beudry and Sorensen need to be atleast 7th or even 6th above G&P too, which means beating not only Hawayek & Baker, the #3 Russian team, but the strong Italian team. Big challenge.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
5+8 and 4+ 9 are also possible...Canes are already 9th if indeed Weapo are out...and which also brings GP on spot closer.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
5+8 and 4+ 9 are also possible...Canes are already 9th if indeed Weapo are out...and which also brings GP on spot closer.

4th, not a chance. Unless 1 of the top 2 Russians or Hubbell & Donohue have a huge disaester (like 2 falls over the 2 programs) can Gilles & Poirier beat any of those IMO.

5th maybe since Chock & Bates seem out of favor despite their improvements, but would still be a big challenge for either remaining Canadian team to beat them. Probably would need some help from C&B problems.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I really like this team! :) Can't wait to see what programs they have ready for this season.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
one never knows what will happen

This is true of course, but I am trying to be as realistic to what is reasonably likely as possible. Gilles & Poirier being higher than 6th is unlikely, and being higher than 5th would be a big surprise. So Fourier & Beaudry and Sorensen probably have to pass some teams for Canada to keep 3 spots at worlds next year, barring a shockingly good result for Gilles & Poirier. So they have a big challenge for Canada's sake, and I look forward to see whether they can do it or not.

Ralf

Match Penalty
I chose to start this as a new thread because my main focus is Fournier-Beaudry -Sorensen... I have followed them for a while as they trained in Montreal and I would get to see them at Autumn Classic and small events. Nik is one of the most beautiful person, (reversible beauty as I call them... inside and outside)... I have ever met, only topped by Laurence. They are very approachable and sweet.... genuine and willing to talk to fans.

While I was reading/translating some of the article, I noticed the clash from another thread I have been contributing to.... and yes, I felt it was refreshing to see the perspective of others. Perhaps, as skylark mentioned above, Nik and Lolo do not feel the pressure because they are not competing for the gold... but then I read another article from direct competitors H-D... which describes further the positive climate created by MF and Patrice.... I think many threads can have subtopics.... otherwise we would have 1000000 threads in the edge.

Fournier-Beaudry -Sorensen were NOT main rivarls for VM. Link me article when they helped the couple who competed with them in top3
H-D also were not serious threat for them

Ralf

Match Penalty

I edited my post before you answered, HD were not serious thread to them as well.

And at the link i dont see the fact that they were helping HD . HD just trained next to them. VM wouldn help their main rivalrs for gold by helping them. Nobody would.
I remember the first part of season 2016/2017 .. Pc and VM. Oh, they hug each other on videos. So sweet. They talk so nice about eahc other.And later , when we know what happened they stopped. Thats normal. Thats nobodys fault.
And please upload links with articles when H-D or Fournier-Beaudry -Sorensen talked very nicely of P/C. They are plenty of them.

Both couples wanted to train without eaach other.Not because PC didnt enjoy VM presence and they didnt like them like the rest of skaters. Thats not the point.They wanted to train seperately, Get over it

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
All I am saying here is that the other teams enjoyed the presence of VM. If PC didn't like the training environment, they could have left, they didn't. End of story, back to F-B/S.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about this article then... Hubbell-Donohue's perspective...as well as feedback from the other American teams now training at Gadbois. https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-champion-mentality-training-in-montreal.aspx

And one last quote

Rats. Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. (I miss the old "someone-quoted-you" notifications.)

This is a great article. Back in March or April, I rhapsodized on some thread or other about the way Dubreuil/Lauzon et al seem to be able to bring out something previously unseen in each of their teams. I noticed it during the first year Hubbell/Donohue were with them; and it was really dramatic with Chock/Bates last year. My opinion about it being different for Papadakis/Cizeron, direct competition with Virtue/Moir for the gold, of course still stands.

Here's another favorite quote from Evan:

"I think (Dubreuil and Lauzon) know how to bring out the strong qualities in all of their teams, because really the teams all look very different at the rink," Bates said. "I think with the direction we want to go with our skating, with our music selections, that we'll have our own strong identity and that we'll grow further."

Now, I feel like I need to say "thread hijacked" so this post doesn't get deleted. :)

:hijacked:

timdalton

Match Penalty
I predict them to win the Canadian title this year. They are way more talented than Gilles & Poirier.