Underrated choreographers | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Underrated choreographers

dorisk8s

Spectator
Underrated choreographers?

Who are some choreographers that you think are underrated? To me, Akiko Suzuki comes to mind. In the past five years, she has made programs for numerous skaters, and there are always several that make it to Japanese Nationals, however, she hasn't choreographed much for internationally recognized skaters (Rika Hongo and Eusnoo Lim are the only ones that come to my mind). Charlie White is also underrated (the fp he gave James and Cipres was awesome), but he hasn't been as active as some better known top choreographers. What are your opinions?

Let's not forget Misha Ge!;)

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Any choreographer working in earnest with the younger skaters and giving them the best choreo to bring out their personalities and showcase their best features is underrated in my book. The majority of skaters out there are not the top names but they want nice programs. And even the top skaters had to start at the lower levels. I did not understand how much of a gift decent choreo is for a young skater until we got a new program this year that was properly choreographed. You could see how excited my skater and the other kids were to get something of their own that they could *perform*. Thanks to all the choreographers who choose to work with lower level skaters.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Who are some choreographers that you think are underrated? To me, Akiko Suzuki comes to mind. In the past five years, she has made programs for numerous skaters, and there are always several that make it to Japanese Nationals, however, she hasn't choreographed much for internationally recognized skaters (Rika Hongo and Eusnoo Lim are the only ones that come to my mind). Charlie White is also underrated (the fp he gave James and Cipres was awesome), but he hasn't been as active as some better known top choreographers. What are your opinions?

Kenji Miyamoto was internationally unknown until Daisuke chose his program "Eye" for the Vancouver Olympic season's SP. Japanese top skaters, as they move to senior, usually switch to European or North American choreographers well-recognized by ISU judges. Skaters and coaches tend to be very conservative and try to make safest choices on programs in Olympic seasons, so it was a very bold decision for Dai to choose a virtually unknown choreographer's work.

Japanese skaters used to be known for clean techniques, but not necessarily for presentations or strong personalities until Dai. Kenji makes about 50 programs for novice to senior skaters every seasons, emphasizing musicality and presentations, which I believe the younger skaters greatly benefited from.