Canadian champ Nam feeling ‘settled’ for the upcoming season | Golden Skate

Canadian champ Nam feeling ‘settled’ for the upcoming season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An up-front interview with two-time Canadian national champion Nam Nguyen. The skater from Ajax, Ont., talks about the post-Olympic season, touring with Stars on Ice, new music for the 2019-20 season, coaching situation, and more.

Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/D-9VSL2YF0Q

Notable moments:
"Awesome Sauce" and Keegan Messing :laugh:
"Silky" - my new word for the month! :coffee:
"Yoyo-ing is weird" :hopelessness:

What are you hoping to see this season? Your thoughts on his new music?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what a wonderful interview. thank you!

I was worried at first, about blues for klook as it requires amazing skating skills, but in a recent instagram movie, Nam is shown doing some improvisation and he is so free, his edges are better, he is faster... that now, my worries have transformed into enthusiasm.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping his "new lifestyle change" will keep him on the ice for a few more years, even though he said he's not thinking far ahead - yet! He said no more coaching changes :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm hoping his "new lifestyle change" will keep him on the ice for a few more years, even though he said he's not thinking far ahead - yet! He said no more coaching changes :biggrin:

he is so young he could still skate for several years...people forget how young he is since he came on to the scene as a young teenager and blew everyone away with a 5th place at worlds...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
he is so young he could still skate for several years...people forget how young he is since he came on to the scene as a young teenager and blew everyone away with a 5th place at worlds...

Yeah, he and Misha Ge were the only ones to skate cleanly at those Worlds!

It's nice to see that Nam's actually become more mature as a skater, and seems to have got his groove/love for skating back. There were a couple seasons that he seemed a bit lost and I almost got the sense he was going through the motions (obviously the growth spurt was a huge struggle), but then the fight returned when he won Nationals again last year. Hoping he has a great season!

mrrice

Record Breaker

How tall is Nam? He always looks so tall when he's skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm always hopeful that a skater I don't particularly admire can change my mind.

So, Nam, I remain forever open-minded. The rest is up to you.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Nam is such an elegant skater. Wishing him the best for the season. Can't wait to see his new programs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hopefully the money from Stars on Ice will help pay for his skating. I wonder how Keegan and Nam et al pay for their skating. So expensive and you aren't a top rung skater. He needs to really improve his speed, power, musicality and jump consistency. I think money is tough still - noting his choice of choreographers.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hopefully the money from Stars on Ice will help pay for his skating. I wonder how Keegan and Nam et al pay for their skating. So expensive and you aren't a top rung skater. He needs to really improve his speed, power, musicality and jump consistency. I think money is tough still - noting his choice of choreographers.

Nam has already recently improved his speed, power, and musicality.

Nam explained how he pays for his skating: working in the rink shop and coaching. I believe his parents still feed and house him, they just stopped paying his skating expenses.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree he has improved his speed, power and musicality but not enough and not enough for a former junior world champ and rising no. 5 senior to maybe not making the world team next year. He and Messing are going to be duking it out and if they slip Nadeau or ROman are waiting. Gogo is too young.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Great interview - thanks! Nam was so articulate, and has really matured. I wish him all the best next season!

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Thanks for the interview! I always enjoy Ted's interviewing style. He seems to put the skaters at ease.

I agree with the other posters who said that Nam seems to have matured. Taking control of his skating off the ice seems to have improved his training and skating. I have been impressed by the recent clips of his skating. I hope that he will have a great season!