Will Nathan Chen become the best skater ever in mens singles? | Golden Skate

Will Nathan Chen become the best skater ever in mens singles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
Yu Na Kim, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Virtue & Moir. What do these have in common? They are the best in history in their respective disciplines. Next to join them will probably be Nathan Chen. He is utterly unbeatable, it is a virtual cinch he will win the next 2 Olympics and next 6 worlds. At last years Worlds he dropped down his previous unbeatable difficulty to only 4 quads, and the same base value as Hanyu, and still easily beat a clean Hanyu in the long program, tieing his PCS and destroying him on GOE for their respective clean jumps/elements. He is only getting better.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
lol

I feel like this thread is going to get interesting. :laugh:

He is not even my favorite but last year when he watered down his 6 quads to 4 and had the same base value as Hanyu and destroyed a clean Hanyu in JAPAN at worlds with way higher GOE and the same PCS told me his now unbeatable moving forward.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Yu Na Kim, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Virtue & Moir. What do these have in common? They are the best in history in their respective disciplines. Next to join them will probably be Nathan Chen. He is utterly unbeatable, it is a virtual cinch he will win the next 2 Olympics and next 6 worlds. At last years Worlds he dropped down his previous unbeatable difficulty to only 4 quads, and the same base value as Hanyu, and still easily beat a clean Hanyu in the long program, tieing his PCS and destroying him on GOE for their respective clean jumps/elements. He is only getting better.

This post is amazing in that someone could pick a fight over basically every single sentence in it.

But the idea of Nathan competing in the next 2 Olympics and 6 Worlds is kind of a pipe dream.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
This post is amazing in that someone could pick a fight over basically every single sentence in it.

But the idea of Nathan competing in the next 2 Olympics and 6 Worlds is kind of a pipe dream.

Well he might only stay for 1 more quad, but I read a recent interview he said he aims for the 2026 Olympics, so that is what I am basing that on.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
He is not even my favorite but last year when he watered down his 6 quads to 4 and had the same base value as Hanyu and destroyed a clean Hanyu in JAPAN at worlds with way higher GOE and the same PCS told me his now unbeatable moving forward.

Okay, I'll bite (tentatively). Yuzuru Hanyu didn't fall but he also popped his quad in the short. And it's not like Nathan doesn't ever make mistakes. No one is unbeatable in men's singles.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
Okay, I'll bite (tentatively). Hanyu didn't fall but he also popped his quad in the short. And it's not like Nathan doesn't ever make mistakes. No one is unbeatable in men's singles.

I am not referring to the short. Only the long. Nathan destroyed Hanyu in the long even with watered down content (for him), only 4 quads like Hanyu, and about the same base value. Since he destroyed Hanyu on GOE; way higher GOE even for their clean jumps and elements, and tied in PCS.

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
I am not referring to the short. Only the long. Nathan destroyed Hanyu in the long even with watered down content (for him), only 4 quads like Hanyu, and about the same base value. Since he destroyed Hanyu on GOE; way higher GOE even for their clean jumps and elements, and tied in PCS.

Yuzuru wasn't without errors in the free either.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

:popcorn:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Okay, I'll bite (tentatively). Yuzuru Hanyu didn't fall but he also popped his quad in the short. And it's not like Nathan doesn't ever make mistakes. No one is unbeatable in men's singles.

Yuzuru wasn't clean at all in both programs. It was far to be clean skates against clean skates.
But everything is good to kill time during off season.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
You already lost me.

Which of those is not the best ever? Of course you are entitled your opinion, but those are who most think. The only one I could see questioning is Virtue & Moir, but to most they surpassed Torvill & Dean the very moment they won in Pyeongcheng.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not another one that will become a dumpster fire.

Taking bets on how long until this one is closed.:slink:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Dear, we haven't seen yet what a clean Hanyu can get with the new scoring system. The level of a real clean Hanyu with the previous scoring system was 126 TES (with 4 quads) against 127 TES (Chen with 6 quads).
So you can guess how monstruous his scores can be with those more generous GOEs and the gap with a clean 4 quads Chen.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
Dear, we haven't seen yet what a clean Hanyu can get with the new scoring system. The level of a real clean Hanyu with the previous scoring system was 126 TES (with 4 quads) against 127 TES (Chen with 6 quads).
So you can guess how monstruous his scores can be with those more generous GOEs and the gap with a clean 4 quads Chen.

The problem is Nathan is both capable of higher base value, 6 quads although it is uncertain if he chooses to go back to that or not as he doesnt even need them anymore unless Hanyu goes up to 6 or 7 quads with a quad axel; and with capable of higher and much bigger GOEs. So even at his best Hanyu can not match Chen's best technically. And he no longer has an advantage in artistry.

Lamente Ariane

Record Breaker
I love Gordeeva and Grinkov but if we're talking about base value they've long since been technically surpassed :devil: As was Yuna, even at the time.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The problem is Nathan is both capable of higher base value, 6 quads although it is uncertain if he chooses to go back to that or not as he doesnt even need them anymore unless Hanyu goes up to 6 or 7 quads with a quad axel; and with capable of higher and much bigger GOEs. So even at his best Hanyu can not match Chen's best technically. And he no longer has an advantage in artistry.

Higher BV yes. Higher GOEs if Hanyu's landings are what they are when he's on, NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.