Will Nathan Chen become the best skater ever in mens singles? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Nathan Chen become the best skater ever in mens singles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
{sigh} Didn't this all get hashed out in the recent Alina and Yuzu GOAT threads? Are people just getting antsy and looking for squabbles?

{deep breath} I have no opinion whatsoever of Nathan Chen's skating, I've watched a bit and felt nothing whatsoever good or bad so gave up on him. But indifference is not dislike - while I do unabashedly love and support several of his current rivals I have nothing against him, he seems a pleasant if unexceptional young man. So I have no input whatsover into whether his scores are justified and give no opinion on them.

(But I do love the fact that while it was insisted that Yuzuru couldn't be compared to earlier greats for a whole heap of reasons there are oh gosh! - suddenly discovered and wincingly specific excuses to claim that Nathan should leapfrog them all.)

He has one-two years of very high scores, two World golds and now has two of the three current world records (Yuzu has the third and all the historic ones). As as far as the mass of sporting fans in and out of his own country are concerned, none of that matters much since he was supposed to win - and in front of the biggest audience possible stiffed - at the Olympics and has just the one team bronze. He also has a very powerful Federation pushing both him and the less deserving Zhou as blatantly hard as they can because they have no one else and a country that doesn't care and probably never will, always seeing him as a minor sports star whatever he does (I could be wrong but am not holding my breath, his importance in sport is always going to be limited by the same thing that got him that powerful federation)

And he may get one Oly gold, but - as I said in the P/C thread - it's a long way to Beijing and he, like Shoma, like Boyang, like Evgenia, like Patrick, like Kurt, like Elvis, like Mao, like Yulia, like Michelle, like Nancy, like P/C - may end up with none. And whether people want it to or not, that is what they all want most, that is what lack burns most, and that is what will be remembered when the history books are updated in decades to come.

Maybe he will be the next GOAT, he certainly is the one who looks like it right now (and Yuzu himself told him at the Olympics "your time will come".) Or maybe he will be the next shooting star that's... shot before the quad is over. Or maybe even the next Evan Lysacek. Like Alina (who at least has a grand slam to bolster the argument)? IT'S TOO SOON.

Yu Na Kim, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Virtue & Moir. What do these have in common? They are the best in history in their respective disciplines. Next to join them will probably be Nathan Chen.

Wait, wait! Didn't we just establish last week that the GOATs are either Gilllis Grafstrom or Dick Button in men's, either Sonja Henie or Katarina Witt in ladies. and Irina Rodnina and anybody in pairs? Seems like we've been down this road before.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wait, wait! Didn't we just establish last week that the GOATs are either Gilllis Grafstrom or Dick Button in men's, either Sonja Henie of Katarina Witt in ladies. and Irina Rodnina and anybody in pairs? Seems like we've been dowen thos road before.

i wouldn't say anything was "established" but is this thread déjà vu? yes... this is the off season for you..

I think Minto is this weekend guys.... go watch some beautiful skating online ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
PS - given that this is just reraising and rehashing two threads that were closed because they had run their course, maybe it should go on ignore while circular arguments... circle.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
Wait, wait! Didn't we just establish last week that the GOATs are either Gilllis Grafstrom or Dick Button in men's, either Sonja Henie of Katarina Witt in ladies. and Irina Rodnina and anybody in pairs? Seems like we've been dowen thos road before.

Rodnina only has titles and technical ability, she has no artistry at all. And she didnt even do throw jumps when people were already doing them, pathetic. All her wins were probably politics and lack of competition outside of Russia. Lastly she owes her last Olympic Gold to Randy Gardner's groin pull.

Compared to Gordeeva & Grinkov, Miskutienok & Dmitriev, Bereznaya & Sikhardlidze, the godly Protoppopovs, or even Totmianina & Marinin or Volosozhar & Trankov she is nothing even amongst the legion of Russians.

Now Button and Henie, those are true legends.

Witt is another with a vastly bloated reputation to what she deserves. Technically even in her own era she was being outdone by Ito, Manley, Chin, Kadavy, and Trenary. She was even less of a technical leader in her time than Michelle Kwan who was also never a technical leader in hers. And her artistry is also overrated given how sloppy her positioning and extensions were despite her drama and sexiness. She won since she was tough, decent in figures while many of the best free skaters sucked in that aspect, and since she delivered when it mattered and had great reputation with judges.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
He could. It's possible. But he's got a long way to go to out-GOAT Yuzu.

Hanyu is probably not even the GOAT now. Dick Button is most likely due to how far ahead he was in his own time and his total dominance, 5 years unbeaten. Hanyu never totally dominated the sport that way, he has only 2 world titles, both which he barely won and didnt win both programs, and both his Olympic Golds were shaky. Yagudin was even more dominant than that, and he had to compete with another great in Plushenko which Hanyu didnt and still didnt dominate the same way. I am a Hanyu fan but I dont think many will call him the GOAT when has been retired awhile, even if Chen doesnt take that title.

Button did a triple loop, one of the mid difficulty triples when no other guy was even doing a double axel yet.

Lambari

Final Flight
Hanyu is probably not even the GOAT now. Dick Button is most likely due to how far ahead he was in his own time and his total dominance, 5 years unbeaten. Hanyu never totally dominated the sport that way, he has only 2 world titles, both which he barely won and didnt win both programs, and both his Olympic Golds were shaky. Yagudin was even more dominant than that, and he had to compete with another great in Plushenko which Hanyu didnt and still didnt dominate the same way. I am a Hanyu fan but I dont think many will call him the GOAT when has been retired awhile, even if Chen doesnt take that title.

Are you sure? :laugh:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

Button did a triple loop, one of the mid difficulty triples when no other guy was even doing a double axel yet.

Are you also a Katerina Witt fan? :sarcasm:

rockmypark

Match Penalty
I genuinely couldn't tell :devil: You seemed similarly dismissive of both her and Yuzuru's achievements.

I am not dismissive of Hanyu's achievments. 2 Olympic Golds is remarkable, and only a handful of men in history have done that. He is one of the best ever. I just dont think he is the best ever, or atleast not clearly so. 2 Olympic Golds does not automatically make him this when Dick Button, amongst others, have achieved that. And Dick Button was much more dominant in his time than Hanyu was in his, although the counter argument is competition then was weaker.

Hanyu was challenged hard in every phase of his career though. Early by Chan, in the middle by Fernandez, and now in the end by Chen. In terms of pure dominance even Yagudin and Plushenko were more dominant, although I could never consider Plushenko imparticular a better skater just by the eye test in a similarily modern time.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well, give those old skaters that kind of rivals in 3 olympic cycles and massive injuries almost all seasons and that would make things more interesting. History of figure skating would be more fun

FCSSp4

Rinkside
Whether in past or present I don't see any skater as good as Yuzuru Hanyu. Ladies or men. :D

ankifeather

Final Flight
Usually when someone claims to be a fan of Skater A but spend all their energy in dismissing him in every possible way and then supporting Skater B all the way whilst claiming not to be a fan of him is a sign that subconsciously he still thinks Skater A is a better skater hence why he can't proudly proclaim himself to be a fan of Skater B. I feel sorry for Skater B in this case.

But the real person I'm sorry for is Skater C whom the poster is probably the real fan of

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I didnt say all non Russians would pick Yu Na, and btw I am not a big Yu Na Kim fan, Asada is by far my favorite of that era. I did say Yu Na Kim is the best ever since the fact is she seems to be the consensus best ever pick, I hear more people call her that than anyone else, but that is another topic. I said no non Russians would pick Medvedeva or Zagitova, which is pretty much true. To non Russians they are pretty much just another in a pack of Russians, not even the best russian ever over Slutskaya who trumps both for longevity and being the first famous Russian back at the time they had mediocre coaching and no prioritizing for ladies rather than an Eteri machine running things which any person with decent talent and a good work ethic can become a 2-3 year champion with the advantage of.

A non-russian here who picks Evgenia...

risingtrot

On the Ice
Interesting topic.

I don't think Nathan's success is guaranteed in the next two olympics. There will be other new skaters that might suddenly show up or current skaters that will finally have a breakthrough. Injuries and other stuffs can also be a factor. Anything can happen.

That said, as a supporter of Nathan I would want him to suceed but at the same time be healthy and if possible still continue with Yale. That I think is quite challenging already. So far he is managing it though so good for him.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yu Na Kim, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Virtue & Moir. What do these have in common? They are the best in history in their respective disciplines. Next to join them will probably be Nathan Chen. He is utterly unbeatable, it is a virtual cinch he will win the next 2 Olympics and next 6 worlds. At last years Worlds he dropped down his previous unbeatable difficulty to only 4 quads, and the same base value as Hanyu, and still easily beat a clean Hanyu in the long program, tieing his PCS and destroying him on GOE for their respective clean jumps/elements. He is only getting better.

Are you really so bored that this was the best topic you could come up with? By my count, this is the third thread in a couple of weeks on the same topic, except instead of Hanyu or Alina now it’s Nathan.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
{sigh} Didn't this all get hashed out in the recent Alina and Yuzu GOAT threads? Are people just getting antsy and looking for squabbles?

{deep breath} I have no opinion whatsoever of Nathan Chen's skating, I've watched a bit and felt nothing whatsoever good or bad so gave up on him. But indifference is not dislike - while I do unabashedly love and support several of his current rivals I have nothing against him, he seems a pleasant if unexceptional young man. So I have no input whatsover into whether his scores are justified and give no opinion on them.

(But I do love the fact that while it was insisted that Yuzuru couldn't be compared to earlier greats for a whole heap of reasons there are oh gosh! - suddenly discovered and wincingly specific excuses to claim that Nathan should leapfrog them all.)

He has one-two years of very high scores, two World golds and now has two of the three current world records (Yuzu has the third and all the historic ones). As as far as the mass of sporting fans in and out of his own country are concerned, none of that matters much since he was supposed to win - and in front of the biggest audience possible stiffed - at the Olympics and has just the one team bronze. He also has a very powerful Federation pushing both him and the less deserving Zhou as blatantly hard as they can because they have no one else and a country that doesn't care and probably never will, always seeing him as a minor sports star whatever he does (I could be wrong but am not holding my breath, his importance in sport is always going to be limited by the same thing that got him that powerful federation)

And he may get one Oly gold, but - as I said in the P/C thread - it's a long way to Beijing and he, like Shoma, like Boyang, like Evgenia, like Patrick, like Kurt, like Elvis, like Mao, like Yulia, like Michelle, like Nancy, like P/C - may end up with none. And whether people want it to or not, that is what they all want most, that is what lack burns most, and that is what will be remembered when the history books are updated in decades to come.

Maybe he will be the next GOAT, he certainly is the one who looks like it right now (and Yuzu himself told him at the Olympics "your time will come".) Or maybe he will be the next shooting star that's... shot before the quad is over. Or maybe even the next Evan Lysacek. Like Alina (who at least has a grand slam to bolster the argument)? IT'S TOO SOON.

A lot of this sounds condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.